Franklin Riverfront

frankliner

A pretty good article today in the Williamson AM on the development of the Bicentennial Riverfront park in Franklin. It includes some good layouts for what the park will look like. Although Franklin has been working on this for quite a few years, it has really started to take shape in the past year. Just think of a nice Riverwalk in Franklin right after a stroll down Main Street, brings a smile to my face!! :D

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...4/1352/COUNTY09

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the biggest reasons it has taken so long is that there was a former dump on part of the site. They have found a burried car and all other types of materials while cleaning it up. Additionally there has been demolition and reconstruction of the old Georgia Boot Factory to be a picnic shed (one of the pictures shows the plans for that. And believe it or not, the space where the park is was something like 4 or 5 properties that they had to buy up from different owners. So it's been a process but I like the end result.

I worked for 11 years as an Senior Engineer for Georgia Boot Co. The company is headquartered in Franklin and operates a number of factories including the Durango Boot plant where this park will be located. My office was in the Durango plant. It was a sad thing to watch the demise of the footwear manufacturing industry in America while I worked there. I helped them close 4 factories, and now all they do is import goods manufactured in places like China, Taiwan, Brasil, and Mexico and sell them in the US. Still, I enjoyed working in Franklin, so close to the historic city center. Downtown Franklin is a positive jewel located smack dab in the center of sprawling suburbia. The park will be a great addition to Franklin, and I'm sure will be very popular among the locals, and lead to a much improved quality of life for downtown Franklin residents. I'm glad that this great project will arise from the site where I spent much of my working life.

I never knew you lived here!

I was born in Nashville!. My parent moved away when I was only one year old, but returned before I turned five. I then lived in Nashville until graduating from high school. Then I moved back to Nashville in 1986 and stayed there until 2002. I've lived in Chattanooga since Sept 2002. I've lived in West Nashville (Hillwood), Brentwood, mid-town (small apt complex on 20th), Antioch, and LaVergne. I've worked at Georgia Boot in Franklin, and Service Mechandise in Brentwood and at their Distribution Center in Metro Center. Having lived in Nashville a total of over 30 years, it's definitely my real hometown, a town that truly love, and am very excited about it's bright future. I'm glad that I live in a wonderful city, Chattanooga, but still am close to my real home...Nashville.

Since this was a franklin-related thread, I thought I would post on here. There is a special 20/20 report on politics and trends that focuses quite a bit on Franklin, TN. It should be on at 9 PM Central Time if anyone is interested.

Archived