2007 Hartford Mayor's Race

grock

Thank you. You can't ignore them. Look what Unite is doing to Waterford. Do you think he wants them doing that to him? Most Hartford forumers here have never voted for a Hartford mayor before anyway. Move to Hartford, then we can talk about who the mayor should be.

Also, if you really knew about Hartford politics, you would realize that a real threat to Perez given Hartford's current demographics will come from the left and not the right. I think you should be happy with what we have. We could get stuck with someone who really doesn't care about big business.

I'm sure Mayor Perez is a nice guy personally, but letting conventions slide by and going to other cities is only gonna hurt Hartford in the long run. If the mayor wants to be pro-business, then get the unions out. Nothing political here, it's just common sense.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure Mayor Perez is a nice guy personally, but letting conventions slide by and going to other cities is only gonna hurt Hartford in the long run. If the mayor wants to be pro-business, then get the unions out. Nothing political here, it's just common sense.

Do you really think common sense is easily implemented? That's the problem. It's not. I'm sure Perez is more upset at Unite Here than we can even imagine. Do you think he wants to deal with this image problem? Hell No. He just doesn't know what to do right now and can't risk making a rash decision. No one was bashing him on here until this union stuff happened, so I'm assuming it's the catalyst for this new found negativety regarding our mayor. His job is unimaginably difficult. Give the man some credit for his hard work and stop bashing him over 1 or 2 issues when overall his performance has been very solid.

This is not directed personally to you, drc. I'm talking to our whole little group here.

Do you really think common sense is easily implemented? That's the problem. It's not. I'm sure Perez is more upset at Unite Here than we can even imagine. Do you think he wants to deal with this image problem? Hell No. He just doesn't know what to do right now and can't risk making a rash decision. No one was bashing him on here until this union stuff happened, so I'm assuming it's the catalyst for this new found negativety regarding our mayor. His job is unimaginably difficult. Give the man some credit for his hard work and stop bashing him over 1 or 2 issues when overall his performance has been very solid.

This is not directed personally to you, drc. I'm talking to our whole little group here.

I don't know much about the made up of North End, but are most of the North Enders unionized workers? If I were Perez I would work out some kind of deal so that a certain percentage of workers in the Convention Center and in the hotel are Hartford residents instead of this union ordinance. I think that would make political brownie point with local residents without pissing business off.

I didn't know one of the reasons ING and WFSB are leaving is because of union issue (for construction? or for the building service personnel?), if it hinder Perez's ability to negotiate with and attract businesses maybe it's time to take a look if we shoule take this ordinance off the book or not.

I don't know much about the made up of North End, but are most of the North Enders unionized workers? If I were Perez I would work out some kind of deal so that a certain percentage of workers in the Convention Center and in the hotel are Hartford residents instead of this union ordinance. I think that would make political brownie point with local residents without pissing business off.

I didn't know one of the reasons ING and WFSB are leaving is because of union issue (for construction? or for the building service personnel?), if it hinder Perez's ability to negotiate with and attract businesses maybe it's time to take a look if we shoule take this ordinance off the book or not.

I think it's definately time to examine the future of unions in Hartford. Most in the North End would not be allowed to join the often racist unions. Trust me, Perez doesn't really like unions. He's doing what he has to do. Well, even in the construction of the new Hartford High the UNION agreed to have a certain percentage of city workers and they were shirking that by providing phoney addresses that union members could say they lived at. They had rediculous things like 12 imposters claiming a single address in the city just so they could get around hiring city residents and hire their own people. So, no Hartford residents are not well represented among rank and file union members.

The Union Construction issue is part of what caused ING and WFSB to look elsewhere and that really does suck.

Please give me one logical reason why he can't make a rash decision other than him risking a portion of the minority vote this coming election. Hartford can keep its status quo or it can position itself for greatness and future investment. If ING really did leave for the suburbs on the sole basis of the union scandal, I would be outraged if I were a resident. I would want a leader that would stick up for everyone in the city and not be partial to the minorities that put him in office...or at least think he's helping them by this ridiculousness.He is letting down everyone that has any investment in the city or ever wanted to invest in the city simply by not taking a position on the matter. I think it's unacceptable and borderline criminal.What a crony! Que verguenza!

I hear what your saying, but it's time for the mayor to step up to the plate and take a stand. This is what the people elected him to do. No one said elected office would be easy. I'm sure the Mayor has done great things for Hartford, but the union fiasco is not one of them.

Please give me one logical reason why he can't make a rash decision other than him risking a portion of the minority vote this coming election. Hartford can keep its status quo or it can position itself for greatness and future investment. If ING really did leave for the suburbs on the sole basis of the union scandal, I would be outraged if I were a resident. I would want a leader that would stick up for everyone in the city and not be partial to the minorities that put him in office...or at least think he's helping them by this ridiculousness.He is letting down everyone that has any investment in the city or ever wanted to invest in the city simply by not taking a position on the matter. I think it's unacceptable and borderline criminal.What a crony! Que verguenza!

He's not really risking any votes by taking a stand. He just doesn't want to piss off the mostly white unions whose membership hails primarily from the suburbs. That's the problem. People from the suburbs don't care about Hartford. The unions are just another greedy corporation in my view. He's a minority and Hartford is a minority city. You get nowhere by ignoring their interest, although I would argue that it's not in anyone's interest, minority or not, to have this BS going on. He has taken a stand, a stand that Waterford must abide by labor peace that they refuse to follow. Isn't his job to enforce ordinances of the city of Hartford? Most city residents are not union members anyway, so I don't see your logic at all. This is not in the least bit a minority issue. It's a special interest issue and he's really catering to white union members from the suburbs if anything. It's really a bunch of white guys from the suburbs coming into Hartford and messing stuff up and putting pressure on Eddie and Waterford the way I see it. They have no business here and care nothing about the well being of the city of Hartford. I want them out of my city and no one on my side of town is very sympathetic to the unions so he wouldn't be risking our votes if he's tells the unions to beat it.

Ironically, Perez backing the unions is having the exact opposite effect Perez or the unions want. They are driving jobs out of the city.

The time for the unions to act would be four years from now, when ING and WFSB and others we all invested in the city. Not now, when they can easily leave.

Judging by the actions alone, Perez is dumb and the unions are greedy. Not a good combination for the city.

PS -- Tycoon, My posts are based on the actions of the Mayor, you seem to be reading his mind. When you post things like "I'm sure Perez is more upset at Unite Here than we can even imagine." How are you sure, unless you can read his miind?

Judging by actions, Perez is in over his head.

Ironically, Perez backing the unions is having the exact opposite effect Perez or the unions want. They are driving jobs out of the city.

The time for the unions to act would be four years from now, when ING and WFSB and others we all invested in the city. Not now, when they can easily leave.

Judging by the actions alone, Perez is dumb and the unions are greedy. Not a good combination for the city.

PS -- Tycoon, My posts are based on the actions of the Mayor, you seem to be reading his mind. When you post things like "I'm sure Perez is more upset at Unite Here than we can even imagine." How are you sure, unless you can read his miind?

Judging by actions, Perez is in over his head.

His assistant lives next door. But no I can't read his mind. I do have an inside tract to info on many levels though. If you want to think he's an idiot that's fine. Go ahead. I will continue to hold him in high regard and understand the complexities of the issues he's dealing with.

Every Mayor deals with complex issues. Perez CAUSED his own problems by siding with unions in a kneejerk fashion. Jumping in on the side of the unions at the Hilton and now at the Marriott sends a loud clear message.

Businesses who invest in Hartford will be blackmailed by the Mayor and his union cronies.

Not exactly the "Hartford is open for business" slogan that Perez tried to peddle.

When the union issues at the convention center started becoming more pressing and receiving more news coverage the hartford business journal ran an article that talked about the concerns local investors are having in the city including Mr. Grunberg ( i think that's how you spell it ) the man whose company recently bought the Bank of America building.

When the union issues at the convention center started becoming more pressing and receiving more news coverage the hartford business journal ran an article that talked about the concerns local investors are having in the city including Mr. Grunberg ( i think that's how you spell it ) the man whose company recently bought the Bank of America building.

This may cause investors to look elsewhere. Honestly I couldn't blame them if they did. Not good at all!!!!!

I hope the mayor's assistant is well aware of how people feel.

Everyone is. We are also very well aware of how Hartford city residents (voters) feel. The investors and suburbanites always come second to the residents. We have a municipality to run so the public image within the city is of paramount importance and everyone has to understand that. The mayor is the mayor of Hartford primarily because the citizens of the city trust him. He's more worried about crime and the school system than this convention stuff, and rightfully so. He's building schools, he's helping kids go to college. He even brought back the summer internship program for city college students this year that I used to work for. A very good program. So he's doing some things right for the people that matter in getting him elected.

If Perez isn't worried about jobs and investment, he is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

People with jobs commit less crimes. People with jobs make sure their kids get to school. People with jobs don't drain the city treasury, they help fill it. People with jobs are personally invested in the future of the city.

You cannot have jobs without employers. Everything on Tycoon's list is fueled by jobs and investment in the city. If Perez doesn't understand this, the city is doomed. Or at least, he should get out of the way and let adults run the city.

If Perez isn't worried about jobs and investment, he is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

People with jobs commit less crimes. People with jobs make sure their kids get to school. People with jobs don't drain the city treasury, they help fill it. People with jobs are personally invested in the future of the city.

You cannot have jobs without employers. Everything on Tycoon's list is fueled by jobs and investment in the city. If Perez doesn't understand this, the city is doomed. Or at least, he should get out of the way and let adults run the city.

Those are some excellent points. More job growth will definitely slow down crime.

State police presence in Hartford is helping the violence but what happens when they leave? What happens when it gets warm again next spring? Crime in the city is down in some areas (meaning kinds of crime as well as geographic areas of the city), crime is up in other areas, downtown is preety safe, but more could be done...im not sure what but....and walks from city hall to the capital with immense press coverage to meet with the governor are not the answer.

Companies that are located in a city help that city. They sponser events, create schlorship funds, invest in school programs, participate in internship programs, their employees volunteer in the community, and their employees will visit the places they work in more often...eat at the local restaurants where city residents may work for example. Companies in Hartford help Hartford more then companies outside of Hartford and so they are crucial in helping Hartford residents.

Archived