Painted Billboards

Weallneedhistory

Ok, I've been meaning to do this since September, and now will be doing it in the next two weeks or so, I hope. Since they tore down the ramp at Fulton and Division, you can now see an old painted advertisement on a brick wall just S of Fulton. I have been meaning to take pictures of that one, and of all the old painted advertisements downtown, and put them together for my own curiousity/research.

So, has anyone done this yet? And does anyone know of any locations of old, faded, painted billboards that are still visible in the greater downtown area?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's some in Eastown too, at least a Coca-Cola one. I don't remember the street name, but take Wealthy to the road that meets it at an angle just past Yesterdog. Go NW on that road, and keep looking back and you should see the ad facing north on one of the buildings on the west side of the street. At least I'm pretty sure that's where it was..

I just saw a couple others downtown today as well, but I didn't grab any pictures nor do I remember where they were. =[ Perhaps Saturday Night I'll go hunting for some.

You missed a REALLY good one when they ripped down the Lyon/Ottawa Ramp. The ads were in pristine condition. I unfortunately never got down there to take any pictures. I bet the Grand Rapids Press has some good photos if anyone has access.

Joe

OK, I'm drawing a blank. Where was this ramp? When did they tear it down? Anybody got a photo?

I actually think it would be considered Lyon and Ionia. But it would sit where the Lyon and Ottawa building was, if Lyon and Ottawa building existed. :)

Joe

The demolished ramp is on the left in this photo. The ads were on the north side of the Federal square Building (right side of photo) and were exposed when the ramp came down.

163917931_cd2af69a6e_o.jpg

Archived