Development plans office park, 10-story hotel in Robinson Township

mjcatl2

Article regarding a planned project off of the new interchange of the parkway....

Drawings of the project by Kauper Architects show eight 50,000-square-foot office buildings, along with a much larger office building of unspecified size and the hotel
Eight 50,000 sq buildings? How about saving a few dozen acres and putting up buildings that are more than two stories - I mean, I don't know how tall these buildings will be, but at 50,000 sq ft, they can't be very tall. It is unfortunate that in this suitable land deprived region, that land is wasted on small sprawling complexes (which is a waste of space anywhere).

Instead of 8 at that amount of space, how about twin 200,000 sq ft buildings, or - gasp - one building with all of that space.

I know that it says there will be a "much larger" building in addition to this, but that's not the point. Nor is the cheaper cost (I assume) in building several smaller buildings, as opposed to less buildings with more space.

While vacancy rates are high in the aggregate, much of the unused space is in relatively small spaces, he said, so a large-scale user could be attracted to a large building.

"One would have to be cautious, looking at building into that market," Kronman said. "At the same time, there's a shortage of large-box ... good, class-A blocks of 50,000 square feet or higher."

And 50,000 constitutes large?

I am confused here, is 50 larger than I think it is?

A 10-story hotel sounds nice though.

http://pittsburgh.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...tml?t=printable

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I already hate driving in that area (on the rare occassion that I do). Any new development there makes my skin crawl. Especially when it's more stupid suburban-style crap. This is what people will see on the way into the city from the airport. At least they still get the surprise when they pop out of the tunnel.

I love what Bayer did on the one side of Robinson Towne Center, I just wish that SKGlaxo and FedExGround would do the same on the other side and what the heck is with the chemical twins out there Laxness and Nova both having NorthAmerican+ HQ there, I have no idea where they are.

You are more then right the whole airport corridor needs a few 'scrapers. If we consolidated Grant Street could force the issue but some of these developers have NO incentive to put the land to the best use, because all they have to do is *itch to one township that the other township will let them have tax relief if the choose to develop a quarter of taxable land there. Developers aren't stupid if there is another municipality every 1 mile along a 15 mile corridor, then you have multiple townships you can have play off each other, willing to give you anything you desire including Buncher-like low rises that remind me of soviet architecture. Consolidate and we won't have to put up with this crap, if you want to build by the #1 OAG airport in NA either build up or keep dreaming, right now the developers are ordering us around because each and every township would do anything to buildout a few taxable lots even shoot the metro in the foot.

Especially when it's more stupid suburban-style crap
Uh, it's the burbs, what would you expect?

This is what people will see on the way into the city from the airport

Yes, and that's fine.

I prefer that thne the ugly warehouses/manufacturing buildings to the north of the parkway in Carnegie.

Suburban offices are a fact of life. Not every company can be downtown, or should be downtown.

I prefer they be in Robinson then in Dallas.

because all they have to do is *itch to one township that the other township will let them have tax relief if the choose to develop a quarter of taxable land there

There's truth to that, but in this case, the dveloper had waited years precisely for the exit to open - land near interstates is obviously desirable (which is why it should be maximized)

Archived