New Tallest Tower for SC?

monsoon

There is a new project in Myrtle Beach called the Crystal Blue Resort that is claiming to be building 3 of the tallest towers on the Grand Strand. Currently the Margate Tower is just 20 ft shorter than the Capital Center in Columbia. Assuming this means their towers are taller than the Margate, then they could be taller than the Capital Center as well. If their claims are indeed true, we could soon be seeing the predicted shift of the tallest buildings in the state to the coast. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any info on the actual height of this project.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i wish mb had more towers back from the ocean front. isn't there some sort of retarted ordinance preventing that?

It would have been nice if most of the towers on Ocean Blvd were on the opposite side of the road. That would have allowed drivers a view of the ocean when crusing down the blvd.

If those are accurate renderings, the are only 25 stories. I doubt a 25 story residential tower would be taller than the 25 story commercial Capitol Center. They aren't bad looking, but why not build 1 50 story tower instead?

Apparently these are not exactly the correct renderings. I've done some checking and there is a bit of secrecy about this project. People are not even sure exactly where it is going to be located though its rumored this is the project that will go on the Pavillion. B&C is not saying what is going to happen to the Pavillion property once it closes, though clearly they have plans.

As far as being tacky is concerned, I think from a residential point of view, if you look at their website, this is one of the better looking residential buildings in the Carolinas IMO. I think it would look good in any city, even in Charlotte.

Apparently these are not exactly the correct renderings. I've done some checking and there is a bit of secrecy about this project. People are not even sure exactly where it is going to be located though its rumored this is the project that will go on the Pavillion. B&C is not saying what is going to happen to the Pavillion property once it closes, though clearly they have plans.

As far as being tacky is concerned, I think from a residential point of view, if you look at their website, this is one of the better looking residential buildings in the Carolinas IMO. I think it would look good in any city, even in Charlotte.

They would never get past the Columbia's architectural review board, if the developers had the nerve to show these renderings even as a starting point. I have nothing against them. It's just that they clearly look as though they should be in Myrtle Beach, Atlantic City or Las Vegas, and I don't want that look anywhere in Columbia.

The difference I see is that in Columbia, and probably Greenville, Spartanburg, Charleston, whatever- you wouldn't see the balconies sticking out like that... they woudl be sunken into the form of the building more, which IMO makes it more attractive. Not that these towers are bad looking. Thats just my preference.

They would never get past the Columbia's architectural review board, if the developers had the nerve to show these renderings even as a starting point. I have nothing against them. It's just that they clearly look as though they should be in Myrtle Beach, Atlantic City or Las Vegas, and I don't want that look anywhere in Columbia.

I agree; they can stay in MB; hardly a city known for its great architecture.

Since there are not any residential towers anywhere close to this height in any of these cities, I wonder how you guys can be so quick to say what would be allowed. A tower like the Crystal Blue Resort would have no trouble in Charlotte as the recently completed Courtside an under construction Trademark demonstrate. (This is right in downtown Charlotte) Balconies are good.

127189470_f22de4f745.jpg106523958569.jpg

They look like they belong in Myrtle Beach. I wouldn't want them in Columbia.

It's probably something that you are not going to have to worry much about.

The balconies in those buildings that Metro posted are the kind I am talking about with balconies that are more sunken into the structure. Its less obtrusive.

Since there are not any residential towers anywhere close to this height in any of these cities, I wonder how you guys can be so quick to say what would be allowed.

How is that even relevant?

People are dismissing this tower as something only suitable for Myrtle Beach, yet there are no highrise residential towers elsewhere of this height in SC, or nothing to compare to, so I wonder how this conclusion is drawn. That is why it is relevant.

IMO, if this project were announced as is for Columbia or Greenville, the leaders there would glady accept it.

I honestly don't think a tower of that sort would ever be proposed for Columbia or Greenville. Heightwise yes, color yes, but the architecture is out of place for what currently exists there. Something like Trademark or the Vue in Charlotte would be more realistic and suitable.

Archived