Random Thoughts from a Visitor

Well, I got back from my visit last week, and over the next 6-8 months, I'll be further looking into moving to the Greenville area. Since a lot of my info. came from this forum, I had some preconceptions of what Greenville would be like. But, granted, I was only in Greenville for six days, and didn't get to see everything. So, I still don't have the 'whole picture' of the area - which I think takes a lot more time than a week.

First of all, a lot of business folks I spoke to were very positive about the future of Greenville in terms of development and prosperity. I heard about ICAR in person from a few people, and that's very exciting. Someone told me that could bring 5000-8000 jobs? I loved your Main Street, and I went to Coffee Underground twice, ate downtown a couple times, and loved the tea shop. I went to the Confederate History Museum in the historic district and got a personal tour from the wonderful gentlemen there... what characters!! They have plans to build a new location which will cost $700,000. They're looking for funding. I hope they get it because they've got a beautiful buidling planned and already have an impressive colllection.

The West End was interesting. Around the Falls Park, it reminded me of quaint New England areas, but a few blocks out seemed to be in need of some helps. It was strange going down Augusta Road watching the neighborhoods change so drastically. The park itself was wonderful!

The traffic on Woodruff road gave me a bit of a headache, but it only seemed very bad around where the I-385 and I-85 exits are. I didn't hit a lot of traffic on the highways themselves. I LOVED your Whole Foods! It's bigger than any I've been to in MA or FL. The shops at Greenridge rocked too. I like how they built sidewalks so you can park your car and walk to all the stores. I like how it's not too upscale either. There's a nice mix of discount and higher priced stores. I spend some $$$$ at World Market. :rolleyes:

I looked at new neighborhoods in Simpsonville and Greer, and thought they were tastefully done. The architecture of the new houses at all price levels fit into the neighborhood. I just pray that they don't develop every parcel of land available. PLEASE PLEASE keep some green space in the suburbs and let the farmers keep their land undivided. I'm not the type of person that can live in multi-family housing. I'm a musician, and I make noise... to put it lightly. Plus, I keep pet reptile which many condos. and apartment don't allow. :silly: I grew up in the country and need some breathing room. I went to Fountain Inn too. Wow.. that was rural. Maybe it should stay that way?? But it would be nice to see the downtown area (if you can call it that) redone.

As a side note, I went to Asheville for the day last Saturday just to do the tourist thing. I spent most of the day wondering around downtown. I didn't go to the Bilmore. I thought I would be bored there, but I'd like to go back and see that. I think there's a lot of work to be done in downtown Asheville to clean and revitilize the city. It seemed a bit dingy, and that surprised me. I thought it would be more quaint. However, I did think Spartanburg was quaint and has so much potential to bring together the traditional and grass-roots with the modern.

Anyway, like I said.. I was only there for a week and could have wrong impressions. Let me know if I didn't 'get it' in any way.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoyed reading your comments. I hope you have much luck in finding the perfect place to live! You're right on about Augusta Rd. It goes from being a downtown street that is nice, to being a very low income street, to being VERY upscale and THE most desired place to live, to once again being a bit rundown to flat out country. haha, but I think that it is a great example of how people from different backgrounds and status can live together.

Thank you for posting your thoughts here, Outlaw Steph! That is great to hear of your visit to the Greenville area and what first impressions you received. :D

I would say you summed everything up pretty well in this statement:

Well, I got back from my visit last week, and over the next 6-8 months, I'll be further looking into moving to the Greenville area. Since a lot of my info. came from this forum, I had some preconceptions of what Greenville would be like. But, granted, I was only in Greenville for six days, and didn't get to see everything. So, I still don't have the 'whole picture' of the area - which I think takes a lot more time than a week.

More time spent here will definitely open more exciting avenues to a very fulfilling life of creativity and complete enjoyment, I can assure you. Just as with any location in the World, it comes down to the individual to make the most of his/her surrounding environment, but in Greenville, it seems to be so much easier to openly express one's personality around others. There are people here who have moved from all over the World, which mixed with the natives of the region, creates a unique community of great diversity and intrigue. I hope you caught a glimpse of this in the short time you spent with us.

We're looking forward to hearing more about your search to relocate to this area! Happy hunting! :thumbsup:

P.S. - We would be absolutely glad to help you by answering any other questions you have about the area.

Thanks for the thoughts OutlawSteph. To reiterate Skyliner's point, I've been here 3 years and haven't seen it all yet. Evey once in a while I'm pleasantly surprised by something new. :D

Oh, and stick with Urban Planet. You'll be a Greenville expert after awhile. I've got friends that have lived here all their lives asking me questions about Greenville. :rofl:

Your comments on Greenville were great OutlawSteph! You'll really enjoy Greenville even more once you get moved....there is something new everyday to look forward to. :thumbsup: Many of us here on the Greenville forum are not natives, but moved here two, three, four years ago and (I'll speak for others) all love the place! :D

If you need indepth info on housing or anything else, let us know!

And a BIG welcome to a future Greenville resident! :D

Thank you for sharing your impressions of Greenville, OutlawSteph. I am one of the ones who grew up in Greenville, and I can honestly say that I appreciate it more after having lived other places. Every city has its own character, and there is something about Greenville that I just love. The charm is obvious, the people are great, the cuisine is top notch, and the growth is evident. But as others here have said before, Greenville's beauty is all in the details. After you have moved to the city, please let us know about the small details that have caught your eye. Perhaps they will be new to many of us as well!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice. :thumbsup: I have friends and family alike that have moved here from Orlando and I know a few more friends/colleagues that are looking to move this direction from Orlando and Central Florida. As a matter of fact, one of my friends and his wife will be in town this weekend to check things out (unfortunately, I'll be heading out to Texas at the same time), so if anybody sees this guy running around downtown, be nice to him:

:lol:

post-3765-1152200483_thumb.jpg

post-3765-1152200483_thumb.jpg

Nice. :thumbsup: I have friends and family alike that have moved here from Orlando and I know a few more friends/colleagues that are looking to move this direction from Orlando and Central Florida. As a matter of fact, one of my friends and his wife will be in town this weekend to check things out (unfortunately, I'll be heading out to Texas at the same time), so if anybody sees this guy running around downtown, be nice to him:

:lol:

My friend and his wife are in Greenville now. They've been to Greenville, NC; Raliegh-Durham, NC; Greensboro-Fayetteville, NC; and spent a good part of the afternoon running around Simpsonville and the East Side where another colleague of ours lives...and they spent some time driving around Travelers Rest too. They say that so far, they've been more impressed by Greenville than the other places they've visited...and they hadn't even been downtown yet when I had spoken to them. They were heading into downtown for the evening. I'd say that may just possibly be the icing on the cake for yet another Orlandoan relocating to Greenville? We'll see. It sure would be nice to have another friend/colleague in the area.

Having lived in Fountain Inn for a few years, I can say yes it's rural, but it has a special place in my heart. I wouldn't recommend it for a newcomer though, I'd suggest Simpsonville more for that!

RT, I thought you were moving away?

He was going to move to Colorado Springs originally, but his boss let him stay here and keep his current job.

RT, I thought you were moving away?

I was going to move to Colorado Springs, but I've gained a reprieve for a while longer. They're still after me to move to Colorado Springs, though, so if push comes to shove, I may still end up going some day. :rolleyes:

:blink:

Those two cities aren't right next door. Maybe the hyphen should be a comma? LOL

Perhaps RT meant Greensboro-Winston Salem?

Yea, sorry - I did mean Greensboro, NC and Fayetville, NC.

Archived