Something's a foot at the 28th/K'zoo Meijer

tamias6

On my way home I passed by the 28th Street and K'zoo Ave. Meijer (a.k.a the Ghetto Meijer) , I noticed some construction going on at the east end of the building. I didn't get a good look at it but from what I could see, a portion of the parking lot next to the building was riped out and the ground dug up. Anybody know what's going on there?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On my way home I passed by the 28th Street and K'zoo Ave. Meijer (a.k.a the Ghetto Meijer) , I noticed some construction going on at the east end of the building. I didn't get a good look at it but from what I could see, a portion of the parking lot next to the building was riped out and the ground dug up. Anybody know what's going on there?

I really wish you guys wouldn't refer to this Meijer as 'the ghetto meijer'.

It isn't even remotely located in the midst of a ghetto, so one can only infer

the reason for calling it that is because of what you perceive as the majority

demographic shopper there.

Now, I know some of my black neighbors call it something even more

derogatory, but without being overly politically correct, can we agree,

if it MUST have a nickname, call it International Meijer or Global Meijer?

If you really DO shop here, as I often do, you would be enlightened to the fact

that there are many different nationalities pushing carts here, doing exactly

what you're doing - the mundane task of purchasing groceries and supplies.

I really don't want to see this forum go down hill with continued trash talk about

ghettomeijer, fat trailer park women, and continued stereotypes like that.

For every stereotype like the ones brought up lately, there are others that just

might fit you (the universal you, not you personally) that is equally unneccesary.

Everyone can be drawn as a caricature with exaggerated features. There are

those out there, you know, who just might have ideas about, and unkind

names for, people who sit and type at their little keyboards and post online

to web forums.

We're all just people, people, trying to get by and have fun doing it.

Peace from Jane, a middle aged Mom, artist, and hairstylist with a fat ass;

a dork and borderline nerd who shops at Global Meijer yet remains

very, very cool.

Now behave.

I really wish you guys wouldn't refer to this Meijer as 'the ghetto meijer'.

It isn't even remotely located in the midst of a ghetto, so one can only infer

the reason for calling it that is because of what you perceive as the majority

demographic shopper there.

Now, I know some of my black neighbors call it something even more

derogatory, but without being overly politically correct, can we agree,

if it MUST have a nickname, call it International Meijer or Global Meijer?

If you really DO shop here, as I often do, you would be enlightened to the fact

that there are many different nationalities pushing carts here, doing exactly

what you're doing - the mundane task of purchasing groceries and supplies.

I really don't want to see this forum go down hill with continued trash talk about

ghettomeijer, fat trailer park women, and continued stereotypes like that.

For every stereotype like the ones brought up lately, there are others that just

might fit you (the universal you, not you personally) that is equally unneccesary.

Everyone can be drawn as a caricature with exaggerated features. There are

those out there, you know, who just might have ideas about, and unkind

names for, people who sit and type at their little keyboards and post online

to web forums.

We're all just people, people, trying to get by and have fun doing it.

Peace from Jane, a middle aged Mom, artist, and hairstylist with a fat ass;

a dork and borderline nerd who shops at Global Meijer yet remains

very, very cool.

Now behave.

Without getting into a sterotype battle (and yes we've gone over the Ghetto Meijer battle before), I don't think calling it the ghetto meijer has anything to do with any sort of race. It's a noun that over the course of time has turned in to an adjective. Ghetto in this sense is refering to something that is rundown, beat up, or lacking attention and neglected. In the case of the k-zoo and 28th meijer, it fits that description well, as it is the most neglected meijer in the chain. Is the area it in the Ghetto, far from it.

The same thing can be said about the word Pimp. Yes back in the day it had a very negative meaning relating to prostitution. Now it's something that means cool, nice, awesome; I.E. "Pimp my Ride".. or "that phone is pimp".

That being said, I shop there all the time, and yes there is a very diverse crowd of shoppers there..

I am not even going to jump into the fray around the ghetto meijer comment again :blink:

I did hear that the idea of Meijer buying the Indian Trails Golf Course and moving there is back on the table. Have not gone by there lately, but will make a point of it to see what is up.

I am not even going to jump into the fray around the ghetto meijer comment again :blink:

I did hear that the idea of Meijer buying the Indian Trails Golf Course and moving there is back on the table. Have not gone by there lately, but will make a point of it to see what is up.

:rofl: ... probably a good call

We heard rumor here that there was some sort of swap deal or something going on with someone on the golf course, but what that involved was never divuldged...

Without getting into a sterotype battle (and yes we've gone over the Ghetto Meijer battle before), I don't think calling it the ghetto meijer has anything to do with any sort of race. It's a noun that over the course of time has turned in to an adjective. Ghetto in this sense is refering to something that is rundown, beat up, or lacking attention and neglected. In the case of the k-zoo and 28th meijer, it fits that description well, as it is the most neglected meijer in the chain. Is the area it in the Ghetto, far from it.

The same thing can be said about the word Pimp. Yes back in the day it had a very negative meaning relating to prostitution. Now it's something that means cool, nice, awesome; I.E. "Pimp my Ride".. or "that phone is pimp".

Okay, NOW I get it. The 'pimp my ride' slang I sorta got based on the 'drag' (dress)

from self-described pimps back in the day - not as wild as Bootsy Collins, but flashy -

but now I actually get what is meant by using ghetto this way. Now, if you can explain

why kids call everything, 'gay'..... no wonder my daughter thinks I'm a Dork and only

cool within the context of my old age!!!!

Okay, NOW I get it. The 'pimp my ride' slang I sorta got based on the 'drag' (dress)

from self-described pimps back in the day - not as wild as Bootsy Collins, but flashy -

but now I actually get what is meant by using ghetto this way. Now, if you can explain

why kids call everything, 'gay'..... no wonder my daughter thinks I'm a Dork and only

cool within the context of my old age!!!!

Sure.. the "gay" think works the same way.. Back in the day "Gay" was taken as "happy, go luck".. then it became a reference to homosexuality. I'd say in the mid-90's people started to use it interchangably (spelling?) with "lame". Such as "Wow, that movie was really gay"... It's just taken on a different meaning, at least when I use it I definately don't mean "Wow that movie reminded me of homosexuality" but more as "Wow that movie was REALLY lame"...

Because in today's society, people are very uneasy about homosexuality. Many experiment with it, yet are afraid of the subculture around it at the same time. It started with people who didn't like gays, calling other things they didn't like "gay" so that the others around them would agree with their point of view. Sort of controlling their friends into having the same tastes. It's been used so much it's lost most meaning and is simply a word to represent dislike.

That's my theory, anyways, although the last sentence is mostly accurate.

Because in today's society, people are very uneasy about homosexuality. Many experiment with it, yet are afraid of the subculture around it at the same time. It started with people who didn't like gays, calling other things they didn't like "gay" so that the others around them would agree with their point of view. Sort of controlling their friends into having the same tastes. It's been used so much it's lost most meaning and is simply a word to represent dislike.

That's my theory, anyways, although the last sentence is mostly accurate.

That pretty much sums it up. I've even known people who were gay to use it the same way. Its merely the evolution of language.

I noticed that the bus stop that was in the parking lot was moved more by the gas station with a "temporary bus stop" sign. Was in traffic though, not much time to look further.

and btw...my wife shops there all the time. Calls it the multi-cultural Meijer. Perhaps shes just more PC from years of working with Special Ed kids down the street....lol

My scooter gets called "gay" all the time. I say, "Thanks!"

lol Zen, is your scooter a boy or a girl scooter? so I can make the appropriate joke.

Yeah mejane, It's called ghetto meijer, not because of the clientele, but because of the condition of

the property. "Ghetto" has very much morphed over the course of pop culture. Like I said, any place you can buy milk, and socks in the same aisle, just scares me.

lol Zen, is your scooter a boy or a girl scooter? so I can make the appropriate joke.

Yeah mejane, It's called ghetto meijer, not because of the clientele, but because of the condition of

the property. "Ghetto" has very much morphed over the course of pop culture. Like I said, any place you can buy milk, and socks in the same aisle, just scares me.

The last time I was in that Meijer store, I could have sworn that I saw security camras in every flippin' aisle acompanied by dozens of ceiling mounted CC television monitors thoughout the sales floor. Normally, it's hard to get me peranoid about big brother. But this place was an 11 on my freak-o-meter. Thus I've betowed my own nickname upon the 28th and K'zoo Meijer store;...."The Blade Runner Meijer" named after the sci-fi movie to which this Meijer most definately reminded me of. The grime and grit. The lost souls. The omni present big brother. If the store director would pipe a dark Terminator or Mad-Max like sound track though the store's P.A. system, the store's Apocalyptic Future atmosphere would be complete. :blink:

That's my favorite Meijer's because its a Meijer that I know very well... The only thing that makes it different then most Meijer's around Metro is that its two level. Yes, it's old, and run down... that's probably why the lot is being redone -- it was shatty but it was familarity.

That's my favorite Meijer's because its a Meijer that I know very well... The only thing that makes it different then most Meijer's around Metro is that its two level. Yes, it's old, and run down... that's probably why the lot is being redone -- it was shatty but it was familarity.

2 Levels? Are you talking about the balcany in the arch part of the building? Most of the older style Meijer stores like the Alpine, Plainfeild, and the Jenison stores have a second level balcany.

Grandville store on Chicago Drive has a balcony as well.

Cedar St. store in Lansing had one too. Westnedge Avenue store in Kalamazoo/Portage has one also. In another lifetime I used to call on all the Meijer stores in Michigan outside of the Detroit metro area.

Does anyone on here remember the Meijer supermarkets on Leonard just West of Walker and on 28th St. between Clyde Park and US 131?

Cedar St. store in Lansing had one too. Westnedge Avenue store in Kalamazoo/Portage has one also. In another lifetime I used to call on all the Meijer stores in Michigan outside of the Detroit metro area.

Does anyone on here remember the Meijer supermarkets on Leonard just West of Walker and on 28th St. between Clyde Park and US 131?

I remeber the Meijer Supermarket on 28th street near Clde Park. It was converted into Meijer's short lived drug store chain "Spaar" (which is Dutch for 'save') before closing altogether. It later became a Perry Drug store.

There's a vacant "Ralph's Market" in Standale on the corner of Wilson Ave. and Lake Michigan Dr. which began life as a Meijer Supermarket. That store was closed by Meijer long ago due to slow traffic and focus on the "Thrifty Acers" consept. The building changed hands quite a bit. At the time I moved to the Walker area it was a "Shop Rite" and a dump. It became a Ralph's Merket and a worse dump for a short time before the building went vacant four years ago. It's a shame that the building's owner too stuborn to sell it off to a developer because its a real eyeasore now. But on a bright note, a new David Rockwell designed Meijer store was built on the opposite corner a year and a half ago. So Meijer came full circle here in my area.

I remember the Clyde Park/28th Meijers quite well. I also remember one being out on the NE corner of Lake Michigan Drive and Wilson as my mom took me with her. Guess things have come full circle as there's now a new Meijers on the SW corner of Lake Michigan Drive/Wilson. I read somewhere that the building at Dickinson and Eastern and the Asian Mall near Divison and 44th (where the Wei Wei Palace is) were Meijer stores at one point too, but I'm not old enough to remember that.

Below is a copy of the original architectural rendering of the 28th & Kalamazoo Meijer Thrifty Acres.

I believe it was the only store that was built by others and leased to Meijer.

Shortly after it opened Fred bought the building.

174582193_ba91dd75dc_o.jpg

:blink: You dig up the craziest s**t civitas! That design is so quintessential 50's.

I remember the Clyde Park/28th Meijers quite well. I also remember one being out on the NE corner of Lake Michigan Drive and Wilson as my mom took me with her.

Anybody remember the Meijer at the corner of Leonard and Walker? My grandmother took me there when I was a wee young lad. I can barely remember it.

Near there where the post office is now was an old juvenile detention building that always seemed to be in a half state of demolition. As a young one it really creped me out.

Archived