Mall of Memphis property(90 acres)

memphis born

I have been wondering what the plan is for the vacant land at american way and perkins. I have come up with two concepts for that property.

1) A major theme park like Bush Gardens, Six flags, Kings Dominion etc.

2) A Nike Town Mini Olympic Village hosting high school and college National tournaments in track and field,gymnastics,basketball,baseball,swimming etc.

The property is a prime piece of real estate any one with ideas on what should be done with it?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about a Class A office park? 90+ acres is plenty big enough to support 3-4 buildings in the 10-15 story range for about 800K to 1 million square feet of office space (imagine a larger version of International Place). There are plenty of hotels around the area to support corporate travel and getting to and from the location is easy via I-240, Perkins, American Way, and it's relatively close to the airport. It could be a good lure for a corporate HQ (think ServiceMaster) or a company considering a consolidation/upgrade (Fred's or other smaller companies). 1500-2000 or more white-collar employees working in this SE Memphis location would definitely help the area.

How about a new college/university?

The only thing about the olympic-style village is the emergence of the sportspark where Bogey's used to be, as well as the conversion of the Fairgrounds. I worry that with so many places (which can be good in a way), the significance/prestige of each will be diluted by the competition.

IF (if) the 1st Tennessee fields place is successful in its expansion (they have expressed their desire to pursue a Wide World of Sports-level of development), and IF (if) the Fairgrounds gets redone to a world-class level, perhaps a better approach would be to combine a sports village with a campus style residential/retail village. I think it's a good idea to increase the number of recreational areas in the community, particularly within the city, given a number of our health issues, and the medium density, walkable development would likely improve the quality of life of the area, especially if there were a number of sidewalk cafes and such.

If either 1st Tennessee /or the Fairgrounds don't reach their potential, then go full force with a top-tier Olympic village.

• 2 months later...

There is speculation Wal-Mart is interested in part of the former Mall of Memphis site. The east side of the property had some decent outparcel retailers that have since closed shop, and those properties would be bolstered by a Wal-Mart.

The developers say the American Way Wal-Mart location would be unaffected, but realistically, if Wal-Mart builds a Supercenter at Perkins/American Way, then you know that Delta Square would be finished off as it has been declining for years.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/busine...5006516,00.html

Busch Gardens? A new university? You guys are dreaming, right? :blink: There's certain things that have to precede developments like that...

The best 38118 can hope for is a Wal-Mart. No Costco. No Target. Wal-Mart. Although I preferred it as a big, grassy hill. Per-capita income for that zip code is $13,684.

An office park is not a bad idea at all given the success of Medtronic and the Nonconnah Office Park...great freeway access and proximity to the airport. Although if a company's going to relocate that close to East Memphis, they'd probably go there instead.

Busch Gardens? A new university? You guys are dreaming, right? :blink:

Maybe. What's wrong with dreaming for that zip code just like we've been dreaming for downtown? And a new college is EXACTLY what that neighborhood needs. Or the sports park. Or maybe movie studio facilities.

It'd be a bigger shot in the arm than an effin Walmart (even a SUPER Walmart), even if we're talking just classes in a strip-mall kind of building. I know you can't plant Rhodes College South there tomorrow. But you can plant the seeds of a new college, or a branch of an existing college.

Maybe. What's wrong with dreaming for that zip code just like we've been dreaming for downtown? And a new college is EXACTLY what that neighborhood needs. Or the sports park. Or maybe movie studio facilities.

It'd be a bigger shot in the arm than an effin Walmart (even a SUPER Walmart), even if we're talking just classes in a strip-mall kind of building. I know you can't plant Rhodes College South there tomorrow. But you can plant the seeds of a new college, or a branch of an existing college.

Maybe. And don't get me wrong -- I'm not wild about the Wal-Mart either. But if a new college were going to be built, I don't see it going there. There are much better locations for that (read Sears Building, Midtown). And a theme park definitely wouldn't go there. The best use would be some kind of recreational park, although I think the commercial value of the property would impede that. You have to consider the area, and what's possible given the challenges. Some areas have to be grateful for what they can get, and in this case that's a Wal-Mart. :unsure:

Regardless of what "could" be, it looks like Wal-mart's a done deal.

Isn't that area pretty rough or getting rough? How about an entertainment complex that is domed? Scientists have been experimenting with the ideas of domed cities ( ie civilizing Mars). A domed entertainment complex is unique and will keep youth in surrounding neighborhoods out of trouble. It will be expensive and bold but could have alot of upside to it.

I like the Olympic sports complex idea. It will bring people from other cities to Memphis but the area could probably use a face-lift.

Isn't that area pretty rough or getting rough? How about an entertainment complex that is domed? Scientists have been experimenting with the ideas of domed cities ( ie civilizing Mars). A domed entertainment complex is unique and will keep youth in surrounding neighborhoods out of trouble. It will be expensive and bold but could have alot of upside to it.

I like the Olympic sports complex idea. It will bring people from other cities to Memphis but the area could probably use a face-lift.

the majority of these are too expensive for the area its in. some of them might work downtown or out east, but this area would not be able to support it

and on colonizing mars, they will never build a massive dome for everyone to live under.

Heres why:

Avg temp on mars. -63 degrees C.

-Immediatly you run into massive insulation problems, energy problems to heat that, fuel problems to gain the energy. So building a massive dome is not easy to insulate and contain energy put off by power units. smaller structures, easier to insulate, less energy loss

average atmospheric pressure on mars 0.7

Wow..Thanks for clarifying that ricky..I was thinking along the lines of like the Eden Project in England, Biosphere 2, or even Mall of America. Not neccessarily build buildings and building a glass bowl over it. I was thinking of a glass bowl with a theme inside.

I was thinking the area was on the decline. I initially thought of such a facility downtown since thats the entertainment core of Memphis.

Does anyone have any information on Uptown Memphis? Didn't they close down some projects there?

• 6 months later...

It appears the Wal-Mart at the old Mall of Memphis site is closer to becoming reality: http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/busine...5461948,00.html

Personally, I'd rather see a decent Class A office development there, but realistically, I guess Wal-Mart is a better fit given the area's demographics. The outparcel business should pick up when Wal-Mart opens.

If anything, a Wal-Mart Supercenter in that spot would serve as a catalyst for a possible mixed-use development in the future. I could imagine some sort of 'lifestyle center" on the property alongside Wal-Mart with stores and additional hotels and office space to at least make the area more attractive to growth, even as companies are migrating eastward.

• 7 months later...

It would have been nice for that piece of property could have been redeveloped in short order, but a slowing economy appears to have nixed that prospect for the time being. Perhaps a better redevelopment plan for the property will materialize or when things pick back up in a couple of years Wal-Mart will revisit their expansion plans for the Memphis area.

Archived