Charlotte Convention Center

guy4charlotte

• 3 weeks later...

Great pics ^.  I was looking at google earth and was thinking to myself...should they rename the light rail stops?  Stonewall station should be renamed Stonewall/Convention Center Station.  3rd St Station can be just that.  The Westin is pretty much our convention hotel (for now) and with the new ped bridge connecting Stonewall station/Westin with the CC, I'd figure this stop would be the best for convention goers. Guess it also depends on if this will be "main" entrance capable meaning idk if they want large amounts of ppl using this as a main entrance vs the 3rd st and college st entrances.

My thought also changes though if they do someday build a conference hotel on-site where the duke energy data center is...then I guess the names can remain the same since the 3rd st station would be closer to the conference hotel.  All that being said, the names arent changing lol.

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I too like the glass expanse of the convention center.  It helps turn that section of Stonewall (or whatever it gets changed to) into a more inviting area to walk.  The addition of the apartments, renovated groundwork of the NASCAR center, and the JW Marriott also helps!!!!!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I said it before and I will say it again our convention center went from boring big box to something that can I say it is almost exciting to look at now. 

Today. 

IMG_6029.JPG

IMG_6030.JPG

IMG_6031.JPG

IMG_6033.JPG

IMG_6035.JPG

IMG_6036.JPG

IMG_6068.JPG

IMG_6079.JPG

IMG_6080.JPG

Can you explain?  I drove by this project a few days ago and I'm still having a hard time seeing how this renovation creates street-level engagement.  I now just see brand new glass boxes on top of a ground-level wall.  All the street trees once lining Stonewall were massacred, similar to what's happening to the  Library lot.  

• Like 1

It creates a pedestrian bridge and patio area for outside meeting space and encourages people to cross the street to the whole foods side and actually linger on that bridge.  I am sure all those trees will be replaced this is Charlotte and that is the rule.  

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Bruco72 said:

Agreed and what they could do was limited. 

A conference center needs a loading dock and that’s where it is, so that wasn’t going to change.

Now if the Westin could just re-do their horrific Stonewall frontage 

Maybe that's it then.  I'm expecting too much, and perhaps focused on the wrong side of the street.  Westin could do much more to engage the sidewalk.  I walked the length of Stonewall in that area this week, and I'm sorry to disappoint, but don't really see it livening up much.  Still feels like a pedestrian dead-zone.  Will withhold judgment until the project is finished, however. 

Even if we're stuck with a WALL along sidewalk, one can focus on other trappings like sidewalk sculptures and colonnades, as well as the texture of the wall pedestrians are walking alongside.    Hydroponics allow soil-less veils of vegetation to grow in vertical planters up the length of a wall.  

Having said all that, if nothing happens at street-level on that block, at least Stonewall between College and Tryon looks very activated.

Edited by RANYC