An urban WHAT?!?!

KJW

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw this article on-line as well, and am rather curious. From what I can tell, wouldn't this be behind (NE) of "Rainbow Curve". "Urban center" can mean countless things. This all seems vague, but I'm intrigued by the talk and the location.

This development has been under construction for a few years now. It's called South Walton Plaza and if the developer is able to get Southeast C Street completed from SE 18th street to SE 28th street and also get the area zoned central commercial (C-3) it'll be a large mixed-use. Think of Park West but on a bit smaller scale. I just finished a GoogleEarth Map of the development but Flickr.com is down. You can check out the developers modest website South Walton Plaza which has info and a location map. This development is a little over 3/4 mile north of Rainbow Curve. I've driven through South Walton Plaza about 6 months ago and it is impressive. It's mostly occupied by Wal-Mart Vendors including Electronic Arts.

Flickr.com is back up so here's a map of the South Walton Plaza development. Sorry about the size but I tried to get as much detail as possible. The faint blue rectangle is the approximate size of South Walton Plaza and the faint blue lines between the circles are where SE C Street is missing. You can see where Rainbow Curve is to the south. As you can see from all the broken ground there's a lot of construction going on and this aerail is probably a few months old.

173750204_35f580b311_o.jpg

Thanks for the info masons_dad1. I'll have to check it out when I'm back up there next time. From their website, it does look like it has 'new urbanism' principles.

From a transportation perspective, I like not only it's mixed use but it's connectivity with 22nd St and C St. The bend in C St I think is a smart idea, as I could see that as a potential cut through for Wal-Mart related traffic avoiding the N-S portion of Walton Blvd.

Thanks for the info masons_dad1. I'll have to check it out when I'm back up there next time. From their website, it does look like it has 'new urbanism' principles.

From a transportation perspective, I like not only it's mixed use but it's connectivity with 22nd St and C St. The bend in C St I think is a smart idea, as I could see that as a potential cut through for Wal-Mart related traffic avoiding the N-S portion of Walton Blvd.

I hope this doesn't become a major thourghfare. If so, expect aweful traffic on C street. I'd like to see this C street become a downtown like road that still alleviates traffic, but isn't a major thourghfare.

Archived