Proposed 40-story tower in Rosslyn

J-Dog

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may be wrong, but I can't see how they can build a 40 story tower in Rosslyn with the current flight paths out of National. I would have to see how far it is out of the flight lines to feel comfortable with it. I, for one, do not want to be waving at the people in the office building as I take off and land. San Diego already feels that way with their airport and downtown and they have a lot more distance than you would in Rosslyn.

This is an older rendering. It's not going anywhere from what I know, but maybe it was re-started. There is another set of twin 450 ft towers but that may and probably will be more like 400 when built. It depends on height. I honestly don't think 500 ft is too high. I'd say 600 is the threshold. And if I'm not mistaken, SD isn't that much different than Rosslyn, I thought it was further. Boston's Logan Airport is closer to DT Boston too.

This is an older rendering. It's not going anywhere from what I know, but maybe it was re-started. There is another set of twin 450 ft towers but that may and probably will be more like 400 when built. It depends on height. I honestly don't think 500 ft is too high. I'd say 600 is the threshold. And if I'm not mistaken, SD isn't that much different than Rosslyn, I thought it was further. Boston's Logan Airport is closer to DT Boston too.

Yeah but I don't think flight paths typically take the planes over the Boston CBD (I've never made that approach anyway). With the post-911 restrictions on taking the traditional flight path over Downtown DC it's probably likely that Rosslyn is often flown over on the approach to National. Regardless I'm sure buildings at Rosslyn COULD be built higher but restrictions are made to be uber-conservative.

It's a shame. I like the rendering of the Rosslyn Tower shown on the dcs website. It's a good looking building IMO. It sorta reminds me of the Goldman Sachs Tower in Jersey City. Is there a suitable location for buildings like this elsewhere in the interior portions of the metro area? (Please don't say Tyson's).

The last I heard was it was still moving forward but the developer and the city , in a compromise with the FAA, agreed that the height should be lowered to around 390ft (which is still up from the current limit of 300). I forget where I heard it but i'll have to look through my files and see where it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this website on Turnberry Tower in Arlington which seems to be the same project as we are speaking of here. There may be multiple towers going up so I am not sure. Can anyone confirm?

The big projects I know of are the two waterview towers which are under construction, the two central place towers that I don't know what's going on with, and the turnberry tower which will get built. Right now, it says Turnberry is only going to be 300 ft. I figured the project this thread was about was going to be lowered, but not this low, so maybe it's a separate one, but they look sort of similar.

I've seen another angle of the turnberry tower, and I believe I heard about the turnberry tower a while ago around the time that rendering came out, so I really believe they're different, I'm starting to believe that if this project is anything, it's the central place one or another one on N. Moore that's being held up.

The 484 ft. project 1812 N. Moore, I believe has been cancelled. I heard about the 390 thing, the central place towers I believe were downgraded to that height from being two 450fters. With the heavy pressure from the DC authorities about the height, and the FAA, none of them have the power to stop Arlington from doing it if they really want to. Las Vegas' Stratosphere is approximately the same distance from Natl. and it's about 1200 ft and they did the same for it to get built.

The two silver buildings in Rosslyn were just as controversial, so this is going to be the case until Arlington decides to just do it and get some towers up and let people complain and in time they won't care so much anymore.

We know that 3 pretty nice towers are going to be going up definitely, so who knows, I'd just like to see a development with Arlington trying to get a real nice tall skyscraper.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thats a good article. I made my first trip into Rosslyn recently. I was not impressed at all. No shops, no restaurants to speak of (unless you count Quizno's or Subway, which I do not). Very much a 9-5 office crowd. The place looked like it had some residential buildings going up or u/c. But it may take a while for that place to turn around, assuming their end goal is something more "DC-like."

The observation deck would be a killer feature on any building over there... I would pay to get a beautiful shot of the District.

Nevermind, answered my own question.

Rosslyn height limit raised

Whereas the Arlington County Board is considering raising the building height limit in the C-O Rosslyn planning area to heights that exceed 300 feet in exchange for community benefits;

Whereas two site plan applications are pending that are requesting approval for three buildings that would exceed 300 feet [two in Central Place, LLC (Wilson, Lynn, Moore and 19th Street block) and the third at 1812 N. Moore St. (next to the Metro entrance)], with one in the Central Place, LLC requesting a building height of up to 390 feet, or 473 feet above sea level;

Interesting. This appears to be a win for the developers, but there will be a lot of unhappy campers in DC if flights into National start to be diverted to Dulles. They really do need to use caution. I'm all for tall buildings in Rosslyn, but I hope caution will be exercised. Most NoVa residents aren't known for keeping quiet about noisy aircraft flying overhead. I predict much strife over this....

Archived