Lets talk about Sky Harbor

MJLO

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems like everything in Arizona happens 40years after it's happened everywhere else. But the preparation and construction are massive for these kind of things. I would imagine we'll see prep work for it soon.

• 1 year later...

I have flown in/out of PHX at least 6 times. The airlines were a mix of Delta, TWA, and the former America West.

I believe I flew into Terminal 2 with TWA back in 2000. The terminal was old, hot, and cramped. Terminal's 3 & 4 seemed very modern and spacious. I never had any problems getting to/from PHX other than traffic.

IMO, The airport is very modern with a desert feel to it. I just wish the airlines would fly larger aircraft into PHX.

Could PHX build another runway over the freeway like ATL did?

-Delta767-300ER

The airport does have larger aircraft. The British airways 747 flys into sky harbor everyday on the north runway. It is the longest and can handle airplanes that size.

About a 4th runway, they can not go south due to the riverbed. The airport continues to buy up land north and west of the airport. They want the 4th run way on the north side but the rail corridor is the limit of going north and the city of Tempe continues to fight them on every aspect of the airport.

Terminals 3 and 4 are nice to a point, but the airport in general needs an upgrade in appearance. The surrounding area does not look good and its just plain concrete ugliness when you fly in.

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me, what genius decided NOT to route light rail directly through the airport terminals?

Or did they purposely route it to where the terminals will be in a future expansion, since they can go no further South?

In any case this decision seems the height of stupidity, even for Phoenix, poster child of bad planning decisions... :angry:

I know what you mean man. What I heard why they were not able to go through the airport is becase of its design. When terminal 3 and 4 were built they did not think of a light rail system would go into the airport. I guess if they would have built some of the supports or something to that affect, they could have brought it into the airport. Cost is the major reason tho. That

• 2 weeks later...

Archived