Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rizzo

The SoS

22 posts in this topic

Well, I have to do some biz down at the Secretary of State tomorrow and I usually goto the branch in Roger's Plaza. Last time I went it was a 2 hour wait as there was a line going out of the office and the ladies didn't know so much -- customer services was poor (couldn't believe it because all I was there for was to renew my driver ID. So my question to everyone is when you goto the SoS which branch do you goto? Also, which branch seems to be the better? By better I mean as in small lines, approachable customer service...

Thanks

Rizz, take a little extra time and drive up to the Sparta branch, I always did, it was worth it, in and out in 15 minutes. Anywhere else is torture.

I have never been to the one in Hastings and not walked in the door and directly up to the counter. Every single time. The people are really friendly. For one that is not so far out in BFE I can also recommend the Hudsonville branch. Pretty decent wait times and friendly enough folks.

Steer clear of the DT branch from what I hear. My wife waited quite a long time to change her name.

Thanks man... I was considering putting a full tank for extra service and short lines.

Believe it or not, one time I went to the SoS downtown and the place was empty...last time I was there I was out in about 30 minutes.

Believe it or not, one time I went to the SoS downtown and the place was empty...last time I was there I was out in about 30 minutes.

I concur, downtown is by far the best one to go to. I've never waited more then 10 minutes and I can usually walk right up to the counter when I come in.

Shhhh.........Keep it a secret or everyone will go there.

Haha, nice Nitro... Yah for me it was going to be a SoS out in BFE or the downtown branch. I figured it may be busy for any of the branches anyway since it will be a saturday.

Thanks for all the suggestions by the way.

Actually i'm not sure if they are all open on saturdays. I think only select branches are... though I could be wrong, it wouldn't hurt to check the website for hours of operations.

Hudsonville for sure! never a line at all.

Rizzo,

The Hudsonville branch has never had a line when I was there. I have been to Sparta also and it wasn't that bad. A couple of months ago I went to the downtown branch and was in and out in around 20-30 minutes. I only had to wait around 5-10 for my number to be called. The worst ones that I have waited for are Rogers Plaza and the one in Center Pointe Mall.

Never had a problem in the one located in CenterPoint Mall - they seem to have the system down. Even though the crowds can look imposing, they are usually pretty quick.

Plus most of it can be done on the ATM type system.

I have really never waited more than 15 - 20 minutes at any Secretary of State offices for the past 5 or so years. They've updated their computers and the systems of how they process requests that it's not the same SoS of 10 - 20 years ago (where you'd be lucky to get out in an hour). I think it was Terri Lynn Land that really shook things up in that department and brought them into the 21st Century.

Rogers Plaza always seems the worse. I head out to Hudsonville, and have only really had to wait once before. Every other time has pratically been in and out Of course the lines are always longer on wednesdays when they're open longer.

I head out to Hudsonville, and have only really had to wait once before. Every other time has pratically been in and out Of course the lines are always longer on wednesdays when they're open longer.

Ok, I have to ask this because you aren't the first person to say it. Is it really a time savings to drive out to Hudsonville or Sparta, to save waiting a few minutes at the closest branch? Once you factor in cost of gas, etc, is it really worth it?

I only ask becuase I don't think I've spent more then 15-20min. waiting in a SOS in the last 10 years. Maybe I'm extremely lucky, but it seems like a complete waste of time and money not to mention pretty environmentally unfriendly to have to go to such measures.

When Richard Austin was the SOS the lines and waits were dreadfull. Once Candice Miller was elected the waits seemed to dissaper (in my mind) almost entirely.

I'll probably either go Downtown or Roger Plaza anyway for the sake of saving money. I thought if it took me 20 minutes to drive out that far and then the process of filing forms and such it would probably take just as long as if I was at the Roger's Plaza branch..

If it were me, I'd go to the downtown branch, grab your number, see how fast things are moving, and then head out for a walk around the area and get some photos. :D Or grab a beverage at Cafe Solace and check out the work going on at the Civic.

I belive my wife went to the one on Plainfield during her lunch break and waited an hour.

I live in Grandville, near the mall. So it's about equal time to either place. My friends mom used to work at the one at Rogers plaza, so I never had to wait (although I always saw long lines). Hudsonville is just a zip down the road though. It's literally no more than 10 minutes from Grandville.

Renew on line! Takes 5 minutes, they accept plastic, tabs arrive in the mail a couple days later. I'm hooked!

This isn't a renew, although If I can scan all these documents and declerations then send to Terry Land that would be neat.

I did have thoughts about going downtown for the SoS, but then my girlfriend was kind of courious about Hudsonville. I went to that location and was friggin suprised at all the developments that have sprung up. The location was busy, I arrived at 10:46 and met a line of about 50 people or so :( nice. This location won out for me, from the time the doors opened at 11am I was out the door at around 11:20. I was a satisfied customer today.