Orange Mound

SatownSTL

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i knew someone from the but he never got in to what it was like, how is it there??

Orange Mound is distinctively "Memphis." Predominately black neighborhood and home to some famous (at least locally) Memphis rappers. Home of the Melrose High Golden Wildcats. I would recommend a drive-thru tour during the day--but at night, you're on your own.

The neighborhood is surprisingly well-documented on Wikipedia... Orange Mound

i knew someone from the but he never got in to what it was like, how is it there??

Its a lot of diamonds in the rough. A lot of beautiful historic buildings, but also many neglected properties. It was the first planned African American neighborhood in America. (Second was Rozelle Annesdale). Everyone who is from Orange Mound is definitey proud of it. It used to have a rough reputation for crime in the 80s and 90s , but its cleaned up considerably now as crime moved south and east of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Orange Mound has some of the best soul food restaurants in Memphis. You may have heard of it through Memphis rap legends 8Ball & MJG. Lots of history & citizens really represent their hood. Orange Mound is generally considered to be a rough neighborhood even though it was Memphis' version of South Central LA (minus the riots) in the past. Although cleaned up majorly, it can get dangerous at times.

Archived