Which city impressed you on the first visit?

Charlotteman

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Washington, DC. It's a very impressive city that has touches of Southern feel but Northern flare. It's very progressive compared to most Southern cities. I don't mind the skyline, Washington Monument, the US Capitol, and 10 to 20-story buildings will do for me.

I'm a big fan of Rosslyn's skyline. :thumbsup:

img5055border3hn.jpg

There are quite a few nice suburban skylines in D.C.; Rosslyn, Ballston, and Bailey's Crossroads are the first ones to pop out at me. Even Pentagon City has some decent sized buildings.

You can't forget about Tysons Corner:

skyline01-best.jpg

Definately not. I lose track of all of the suburban skylines in D.C., they just seem to pop up everywhere. I actually just got back from D.C. a couple of days ago, and I had a great time. I've been there many times, and it never gets old. I've loved D.C. ever since I first rode on the Metro as a kid. :D

I'll be back in a month and can't wait to get on the Metro. :)

I may be back up there again in about a month too. If I can, I'd like to stay in the Dupont Circle area again, that's one of my favorite parts of the city. Embassy Row, great architecture, great people, all kinds of retail shops and restaurants, and a great location. At some points, it felt like I was spending more time in the Dupont Cirlce Metro station than I was my hotel room. ;) I usually stay in Foggy Bottom, but decided to mix it up a little on this trip, and that turned out to be a great decision.

As you can probably tell, I'm a huge fan of our nation's capital. It's a city we should all be very proud of.

Same here. Hopefully, the next chapter of my life will have me settling down in the area for a spell.

If I had the money to live around D.C., I would be up there in a hearbeat. But that's a huge if, housing costs are just insane up there.

I'm a big fan of Rosslyn's skyline. :thumbsup:

img5055border3hn.jpg

There are quite a few nice suburban skylines in D.C.; Rosslyn, Ballston, and Bailey's Crossroads are the first ones to pop out at me. Even Pentagon City has some decent sized buildings.

That's a suburban skyline, Nate? :shok: Geez, my city had better step it up. :lol:

Charleston Charleston Charleston Charleston :D

I went there for the past 5 days and had a blast! It's an amazing underrated city with a bustling core and great culture. Id recommend it for anyone. There's tons of things to do in and around the city. I loved Charleston :yahoo:

Charleston Charleston Charleston Charleston :D

I went there for the past 5 days and had a blast! It's an amazing underrated city with a bustling core and great culture. Id recommend it for anyone. There's tons of things to do in and around the city. I loved Charleston :yahoo:

I haven't been to Charleston in a very long time, and I need to get back over to that great city! Definately a Southern jewel.

BTW TBurban, I hope you're able to end up taking that trip down here to New Orleans in the near future!

I don't mean to beat the D.C. drum to death, but another thing that amazed me on the first visit was the subway. A writer in a prior post mentioned this and it's true. As a first time rider, I was highly impressed. It just doesn't get any better than the D.C. system.

Another thing that delighted me the first visit was the ability to get a cab anywhere you go, just raise up your hand...easy as pie, and quick!

I don't mean to beat the D.C. drum to death, but another thing that amazed me on the first visit was the subway. A writer in a prior post mentioned this and it's true. As a first time rider, I was highly impressed. It just doesn't get any better than the D.C. system.

Another thing that delighted me the first visit was the ability to get a cab anywhere you go, just raise up your hand...easy as pie, and quick!

Yea, the metro is a fantastic system. It's extremely easy to use, even for the first time rider, it's very well designed, and it flat out gets you to nearly any part of the city that you need to get to quickly and easily. And with the addition of the silver line going out all the way to Dulles International Airport in the next few years, it will be even more improved.

That is great that they will have a line going to Dulles International. That is much needed, although Super Shuttle is not a bad option for those not in a car.

One thing they really need to do is add a Georgetown Metro station. As a student at Georgetown University, I also lived in the Georgetown neighborhood. It sucked not having a station there, but rather having to take a shuttle (at least it was free) to Dupont Circle to catch the red line. Supposedly, the residents of Georgetown protested a station being built there because they feared the "riff raff" it would bring into their area. Oh well.

Tyson's Corner has a really great skyline! I have never seen that picture before, krazee. :thumbsup:

Archived