Urban Renewal

monsoon

If any of you are familiar with the area between the Myrtle Beach Pavillion and the Family Amusement Park (Giant Rollercoaster) I have heard this fairly sizeable area is going to go though a big redevelopment over the next few years where the trashy hotels will be town down and the drug neighborhoods cleaned up. Any comments?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't been through there in some time- but if I recall correctly, this is an older part of MB that has alot of small and kinda rundown looking hotels (mostly because they are old, not because they aren't kept up).

Will this redevelopment only be along Ocean Blvd or will it be more extensive? Do you have ny other information on it?

• 3 weeks later...

If any of you are familiar with the area between the Myrtle Beach Pavillion and the Family Amusement Park (Giant Rollercoaster) I have heard this fairly sizeable area is going to go though a big redevelopment over the next few years where the trashy hotels will be town down and the drug neighborhoods cleaned up. Any comments?

How old are the hotels? Are they hotels, or motels? If they date back to the 1930's or earlier I would think that a nice thorough restoration is in order, as old buildings can help set a historic tone in a district. And also, there is usually a lot of detail and charm in these vintage buildings that is seldom found in new construction. Sure, the new high-rise hotel tower may be up to code and everything, and have internet access, etc. But is it really unique? Does it have a certain charm that would endear itself to the people staying there? It is often possible to update older buildings as well while keeping as much as possible historically accurate, this includes discreetly adding internet/electronic updates, safety features, etc.

Now, if they are more recent motels, and are not really attractive/ have been run completely into the ground (beyond restoration), then maybe it is just as well to tear them out and put something else that will accomodate travelers well.

If someone could post some pictures of the "trashy hotels" in question, that would clear up a lot for out-of-towners/potential visitors.

I wonder what kind of drug neighborhoods are being referred to. Is it a few (relatively) harmless hippies, or is it a real dangerous gang-related ring situation? I didn't think that buildings themselves were the cause of human behavior.

All of this vague terminology is confusing me! :huh:

Most of the hotels in this area are 2-4 story jobs that were built in the 50s and 60s. They are mostly concrete slabs. There isn't anything historic to them. They have not be kept up and as a result attract a really low class of people. Behind these hotels are a lot of houses that could be described the same way. Mostly places ranging from houses that were built in the last 50 years that are not being maintained. There are even some trailers.

I should get some photos of this area.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the hotels in this area are 2-4 story jobs that were built in the 50s and 60s. They are mostly concrete slabs. There isn't anything historic to them. They have not be kept up and as a result attract a really low class of people. Behind these hotels are a lot of houses that could be described the same way. Mostly places ranging from houses that were built in the last 50 years that are not being maintained. There are even some trailers.

I should get some photos of this area.

Any photos of this area yet?

• 1 month later...

While I'm all for new, gleaming developments, a fact of life happens to be that all people are not middle and upper class and able to afford to stay in a new hotel tower. Does this mean poorer people should not be able to stay at the beach? Crime-ridden properties need to be cleaned up, but why does everything have to be upscale? Why can't certain things remain for those not fortunate enough to have an above average salary?

Archived