Billboards in downtown

bsutton1

I hardly see any advertisement in downtown. Billboards/Signs for like sporting events, concerts, movies, businesses, etc would be nice around downtown. I mean something like you see in NY, LA etc. A huge billboard up for the 2006 stanley cup champs, hurricanes for example. What about some of the big concerts we have here during the summer at Alltel and RBC? Big advertisement you see for them is in the newspaper. I do see flyers around every now and then but something much bigger would be nice. It would add something to downtown besides all the new high rises going up.

What do ya'll think?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love billboards. I think Times Square is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

times_sq.jpg

Exactly. I mean not alot like NY where they are plastered all over the place. Just a couple down like fayetteville street and a some big signs/posters against walls on a couple of streets.

I'm not a huge fan of billboard advertisements anywhere. I like the look of Times Sqaure, but I don't think it is for Raleigh. I don't think it would blend in well with the new Fayetteville Street with the view of the capitol and performing arts center.

I like how our highways are for the most part free of billboards as compared to other areas.

I'm in favor of the local kinds of billboards (Stanley Cup champs, etc.). When I was living in Boston, I didn't really notice the billboards except when they had Red Sox personalities on them.

I am not a fan of Billboards, especially in the city. I know that many people think it makes Raleigh more "City-like" but I think it brings more visual clutter and does not add value.

Now, I say this as a changed person. Raleigh use to be the billboard capital of the south. Raleigh had billoboards all over the beltline, going into DT on Capital Blvd, places DT and on other busy streets. I think it was the early 80's they were voted out (or to a minimal). At that time, I thought it would make us look "less" like a real city. I was wrong. It is the best thing that Raleigh CC did during that time frame.

example: Big billboards were right before the train bridge on capital near the Days Inn DT and another several huge signs right at the Peace St/Capital overpass.

Having a large car ads or furniture ads on a big-arse board going into DT does not make use "more of a city."

We were there 23 years ago and the best thing that happened was the elimination of these. JMHO

I could live with more lighted business signs...

I dont mean to keep posting Raleighmarks old photos, but downtown used to have at least a billboard along McDowell:

large.jpg

No problem...... great photo. How old is it?

Looks like the new jailhouse is there and the old FED social services building is there. I guess this is 10 years ago.

Keep them coming

I don't like Billboards, especially downtown. Larger banners draped on the side of parking decks could be cool, as long as they don't stay up too long and don't tear easily. They have contributed to "ad pollution" in places like Harlem, but I'd rather see them than the side of a parking deck (especially Moore Square and the one on the next block north of there) any day.

Smaller, lit signs like the Rivera, Mecca, etc. are pretty neat, as long as they don't jut out further than half the sidewalk. Such signs could light up Fayetville Street, since it appears the chandeliers won't be. Even the neon Firestone sign on Dawson is ok, if accidently. I used to park where Park Devarux is now, and only the first and last two letters would light spelling "fine". It was my own little reminder that no matter how much work, life, etc. sucked, everything would be fine.

I keep hoping the Exploris IMAX would get a marquee (like Rialto's, though LED could be cool too) to advertise the current movie and show people where it is. I am sooo tired of having to point people there, and watch them still get confused when they only see the courtyard. I think the ABC 11 scrolling marquee is an asset to Fayetville Street, although it does attract the transient population at night...

Another neat "sign" is the batsignal-ish Duck and Dumpling spotlight on the back side of 133 Fayetville Street, visible from most of East Hargett. It isn't obtrusive, and isn't there at all during the day.

Archived