Racial diversity in Northwest Arkansas

jooseyjoose

This is a bit off the nationality topic, but do you ever see predjudice towards people from other states, especially California? We lived in Portland, Oregon for five years and there was a handful of "natives" that gave us grief when they heard we were born and raised in Southern California and had moved to "their" state. There were just a handful though, most people were extremely welcoming. Portland, by the way is a fantastic place to live. If it weren't for the 200 or whatever days of rain/cloud cover each year we would be going back there. But we love our sun, and believe it or not we prefer the humid heat rather than the dry heat! I guess that comes from loving the tropics so much.

Anyways, if anyone can tell me what the overall feeling seems to be towards transplants....once again I would appreciate it.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. The fact that most of NWA is made up of people from other states that there really isn't any kind of prejudice or dislike for people from other states. In fact, when someone here finds out you're from California they'll probably be excited to meet you. You have your bad apples in every barrel, but you'll find the people here are among the friendliest you'll find anywhere. If you find someone who's to the contrary they're probably not from here. :D

This is a bit off the nationality topic, but do you ever see predjudice towards people from other states, especially California? We lived in Portland, Oregon for five years and there was a handful of "natives" that gave us grief when they heard we were born and raised in Southern California and had moved to "their" state. There were just a handful though, most people were extremely welcoming. Portland, by the way is a fantastic place to live. If it weren't for the 200 or whatever days of rain/cloud cover each year we would be going back there. But we love our sun, and believe it or not we prefer the humid heat rather than the dry heat! I guess that comes from loving the tropics so much.

Anyways, if anyone can tell me what the overall feeling seems to be towards transplants....once again I would appreciate it.

Nah, I've never seen it. So many people in my school (and some in my neighborhood) in Fayetteville were from southern California, some I called friends. No big deal. The one things they all had in common was that they said how much cooler Southern California is, and how much more there was to do, etc.

The only thing else I can say, which sort of relates to your earlier anecdote with your folks when they moved to Altus, is that, just like anywhere else where people have been doing things a set way for who knows how long, they won't obviously take too kindly to newcomers telling people how to do things differently. Even if it doesn't seem like your 'telling them' or even 'suggesting', even if you're sure it's right, small-town people generally don't like outsiders sticking their nose in their business, even if you think your not. I think that applies to almost any small town, at least in the South and the Midwest. However, Fayetteville isn't a small town anymore, so I haven't ever seen that mentality. So many residents are transplants from bigger cities anyway (even me and my family).

For the most part telling people that you are from S. Cal will probably only make them ask you questions like...How do you like it here in Fayetteville? or they might mention that Real Estate prices are much cheaper here as compared w/ Southern Cal. But you will have to become a Razorback fan... :D

Also, the weather here is going to be different than Cali or even Portland. Mild to Hot, Humid summers. Cool, cloudy but beautiful autumns. Spring brings severe weather...everything from snow to tornadoes. And you never know what you are going to get in winter. One day it is 50 or 60 degrees, the next day can be 10 inches of snow and -10 degrees. Enjoy! I know I do.

We all will welcome you to the area.

But we love our sun, and believe it or not we prefer the humid heat rather than the dry heat! I guess that comes from loving the tropics so much.

Don't expect that much humidity. The humidity in NWA is nothing like it is in Central Florida, Louisiana or even the eastern half of Texas. I've been here for 8 years and the humidity is still pretty mild compared to most of the places I've lived. It's more humid than S. Cali, but it's much more temperate than tropical. The fact that NWA sits on the top of a plateau makes our weather a bit unique. We're in the south but the summers are more like the northern states and the winters are mild because we're in the south, if that makes any sense. For the first time since I've lived here we had a rash of tornadoes this year and a couple blew through Benton County doing some damage, but no casualties. Fayetteville has had at least one near miss by a tornado in the last 8 years with Farmington to the west taking most of the damage. One thing is for sure, you'll never get bored with the weather here because it's always a surprise! :D

Don't expect that much humidity. The humidity in NWA is nothing like it is in Central Florida, Louisiana or even the eastern half of Texas. I've been here for 8 years and the humidity is still pretty mild compared to most of the places I've lived. It's more humid than S. Cali, but it's much more temperate than tropical. The fact that NWA sits on the top of a plateau makes our weather a bit unique. We're in the south but the summers are more like the northern states and the winters are mild because we're in the south, if that makes any sense. For the first time since I've lived here we had a rash of tornadoes this year and a couple blew through Benton County doing some damage, but no casualties. Fayetteville has had at least one near miss by a tornado in the last 8 years with Farmington to the west taking most of the damage. One thing is for sure, you'll never get bored with the weather here because it's always a surprise! :D

Yea, I have to agree. The humidity here is actually pretty low compared to even the rest of the state and there is an almost ever present breeze. It does get pretty darned hot July and August though. Other than a week or two out of the year, the winters are also really nice usually.

For the most part telling people that you are from S. Cal will probably only make them ask you questions like...How do you like it here in Fayetteville? or they might mention that Real Estate prices are much cheaper here as compared w/ Southern Cal. But you will have to become a Razorback fan... :D

Also, the weather here is going to be different than Cali or even Portland. Mild to Hot, Humid summers. Cool, cloudy but beautiful autumns. Spring brings severe weather...everything from snow to tornadoes. And you never know what you are going to get in winter. One day it is 50 or 60 degrees, the next day can be 10 inches of snow and -10 degrees. Enjoy! I know I do.

We all will welcome you to the area.

...and there's the unique "River valley phenomenon"...always seemingly 5-10 degrees warmer 1 county south of Fayetteville, with sometimes differing weather conditions between the north end of the Bobby Hopper tunnel and the south end (both in extreme southern Washington County (Fayetteville) near the county line). I know there are many similar phenomenae in California in the areas between the mountains and valleys.

Stormchsr, there's some interesting mesocyclone-looking structures I've seen in NWA the past few years. It's amazing to me that there aren't more twisters in this neck of the woods given how relatively close we are to the true "tornado alley" (kidney-shaped area between Wichita and Oklahoma City). I remember on May 3, 1999 when the big OKC F-5 300 mph tornado struck and there was an outbreak across the state. Our neighbor down the street in E Bentonville (who, like us, got hit with this year's March 12 tornado) said he watched as some of the (very scary looking) clouds from that system moved overhead but didn't "drop" anything. We were living in the Atlanta, GA area at the time and a storm from that system apparently hit our area the next day, with a radar-warned tor warning for the suburbs.

Hey, jooseyjoose, welcome!

I know we have just about beat this topic to death, but I thought I'd put my two cents in, since I have a little experience with the subject. I'm white, and though my husband is not black, he's east Indian, and fairly dark-skinned.

We have been married and living in Rogers/Bentonville for 12 years, and honestly have not had one single bad experience. Most people are just curious about my husband's culture, and if they have any negative opinions, they seem to keep them to themselves. I'm sure racism exists here, but we never feel it. In fact, when we visited my husband's brother in Australia a couple of years ago, my husband commented on the blatant racism he felt there, as compared to pretty much nothing here.

I wouldn't spend a minute worrying about the reception you'll receive. Good luck; let us know if we can help you with anything else.

...and there's the unique "River valley phenomenon"...always seemingly 5-10 degrees warmer 1 county south of Fayetteville, with sometimes differing weather conditions between the north end of the Bobby Hopper tunnel and the south end (both in extreme southern Washington County (Fayetteville) near the county line). I know there are many similar phenomenae in California in the areas between the mountains and valleys.

Stormchsr, there's some interesting mesocyclone-looking structures I've seen in NWA the past few years. It's amazing to me that there aren't more twisters in this neck of the woods given how relatively close we are to the true "tornado alley" (kidney-shaped area between Wichita and Oklahoma City). I remember on May 3, 1999 when the big OKC F-5 300 mph tornado struck and there was an outbreak across the state. Our neighbor down the street in E Bentonville (who, like us, got hit with this year's March 12 tornado) said he watched as some of the (very scary looking) clouds from that system moved overhead but didn't "drop" anything. We were living in the Atlanta, GA area at the time and a storm from that system apparently hit our area the next day, with a radar-warned tor warning for the suburbs.

The River valley is a good thousand feet lower in elevation (as well as being farther south). That keeps them quite a bit warmer usually.

The reason that there are less tornadoes here is because we are just a little too far east. Usually conditions come together out in the TX panhandle/Western OK then progress eastward throughout the evening or night. Generally these tornadic cells fire along a dryline or a cold front. By the time they make it to NWA it is usually the middle of the night or early morning, when the heating of the day is at a minimum. So the storms generally weaken as they approach. Many other factors come into play as well, but that is certainly one reason we don't get the amount of Tornadoes that regions just to the west get.

Yeah I was in OKC during that May 3rd event. I filmed it as it passed just south of where I was working. THe most unbelievable sight I have ever seen and probably will ever see.

Sorry everyone if this got off a bit off topic. If someone mentions weather, I just can't help it.

The River valley is a good thousand feet lower in elevation (as well as being farther south). That keeps them quite a bit warmer usually.

The reason that there are less tornadoes here is because we are just a little too far east. Usually conditions come together out in the TX panhandle/Western OK then progress eastward throughout the evening or night. Generally these tornadic cells fire along a dryline or a cold front. By the time they make it to NWA it is usually the middle of the night or early morning, when the heating of the day is at a minimum. So the storms generally weaken as they approach. Many other factors come into play as well, but that is certainly one reason we don't get the amount of Tornadoes that regions just to the west get.

Yeah I was in OKC during that May 3rd event. I filmed it as it passed just south of where I was working. THe most unbelievable sight I have ever seen and probably will ever see.

Sorry everyone if this got off a bit off topic. If someone mentions weather, I just can't help it.

Strmchsr...we're so blessed that the March 12 storm happened at 10:00 pm on a Sunday night, rather than in the maximum heating time of 5:00pm-6:00pm on a weekday.

What a horrific disaster that could have been. Praise God that it wasn't.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming... :silly:

I always found that facinating how, especially noticable in the summer late in the day, where there's a seemingly huge temp difference north of the Boston Mtns compared to the south.

My grandparents, before they passed away, lived in Escondido-- if I remember correctly, they were over the mountain range, so it was typically hot and dry... compared to several miles to the west, closer to Oceanside, where it's the opposite supposedly?

It's been many years since I last been to that area, but I've been to San Diego several times as a kid. I have an uncle who still lives there. The only things I remember of San Diego is the naval facility, the beach near Oceanside, and the traffic (as a kid I was amazed by the huge freeways).

Not to beat a topic continually to death... I would never be guilty for that of course!

I always found that facinating how, especially noticable in the summer late in the day, where there's a seemingly huge temp difference north of the Boston Mtns compared to the south.

My grandparents, before they passed away, lived in Escondido-- if I remember correctly, they were over the mountain range, so it was typically hot and dry... compared to several miles to the west, closer to Oceanside, where it's the opposite supposedly?

It's been many years since I last been to that area, but I've been to San Diego several times as a kid. I have an uncle who still lives there. The only things I remember of San Diego is the naval facility, the beach near Oceanside, and the traffic (as a kid I was amazed by the huge freeways).

Not to beat a topic continually to death... I would never be guilty for that of course!

We live in East San Diego, a part called El Cajon Valley which is about 10 miles from the ocean but it is on the east side of a small range of hills. In the valley we live in, it gets about 15 degrees hotter than on the other side of the hills, and much more dry. I have to say, if we move from San Diego, it is the weather I will miss the most although it does get a bit boring being in the 70's year-round (I am not bragging, I swear!!!). I miss the the different seasons and all the changes that come with them so that is one thing I am looking forward to in Arkansas. We don't have those beautiful change of colors in the fall nor do we get a lot of color in the spring either. It is pretty much the same look year-round which can be a bit boring!

And the thing I will miss least about it here..........yes, you guessed---the TRAFFIC! Oh it is horrendous. Just terrible! I take the trolley to work now because the drive that takes me 15 during a non-traffic time can take me up to an hour and a half during rush hours. San Diego just completed another extension of the trolley system and fortunately it was extended out by my house and now it only takes me 27 peaceful minutes to get to work.

Sorry I kind of got off the topic there!

Thanks again everyone for you great posts!! This thread seems to have been a lot more positive than what is going on over on the "Blacks in NWA" thread. Kinda ugly over there right now :unsure: .

Take care! :w00t:

We live in East San Diego, a part called El Cajon Valley which is about 10 miles from the ocean but it is on the east side of a small range of hills. In the valley we live in, it gets about 15 degrees hotter than on the other side of the hills, and much more dry. I have to say, if we move from San Diego, it is the weather I will miss the most although it does get a bit boring being in the 70's year-round (I am not bragging, I swear!!!). I miss the the different seasons and all the changes that come with them so that is one thing I am looking forward to in Arkansas. We don't have those beautiful change of colors in the fall nor do we get a lot of color in the spring either. It is pretty much the same look year-round which can be a bit boring!

And the thing I will miss least about it here..........yes, you guessed---the TRAFFIC! Oh it is horrendous. Just terrible! I take the trolley to work now because the drive that takes me 15 during a non-traffic time can take me up to an hour and a half during rush hours. San Diego just completed another extension of the trolley system and fortunately it was extended out by my house and now it only takes me 27 peaceful minutes to get to work.

Sorry I kind of got off the topic there!

Thanks again everyone for you great posts!! This thread seems to have been a lot more positive than what is going on over on the "Blacks in NWA" thread. Kinda ugly over there right now :unsure: .

Take care! :w00t:

Yes, you will see a change in seasons, heck we even get snow sometimes.

Just ignore what's going on over at the Blacks in NWA thread, it's nothing more than a random poster.

Hope you enjoy your move.

Wow! My mom lives in El Cajon. This trully is "A Small World After All" (Cant help it, me and my wife are huge Disney fans!) There is one other thing you will not miss besides traffic. Cost of living. It is incredible how much home you get out here in comparison.

Joosey,

Last night I went to the same Jane, MO Wal-Mart Supercenter (1 mile north of the Missouri/Arkansas line...immediately south of the line is Bella Vista, AR, and immediately south of Bella Vista is Bentonville) at 10:15pm.

I did, secretly ( :lol: ) a count of the minorities I saw. Here's who I appeared to observe at that store, again in reduced traffic at 10:15 on a Friday night...the numbers include kids:

Hispanics - 5

(India)ns - 5

Asians - 6

African americans - 4

Caucasians - probably 80-150

The only group that was one single family was the Asian group.

Again, this is in a county that 20+ years ago was like a big, deep-Ozark Mayberry, RFD circa 1956. EVERY TIME I VISIT I see diversity there like this.

It ain't Cali, but it's pretty fun nonetheless...

I've been away for a while and I think everyone has already answered your question. But I'll go ahead and throw in my two cents as well. I really don't think it would be any problem. I doubt it would cause problems in NWA but especially in Fayetteville. Fayetteville being a college town is rather liberal compared to much of the state. I see inter-racial couples in Fayetteville all the time and I don't think there would be any problems.

Joosey,

Last night I went to the same Jane, MO Wal-Mart Supercenter (1 mile north of the Missouri/Arkansas line...immediately south of the line is Bella Vista, AR, and immediately south of Bella Vista is Bentonville) at 10:15pm.

I did, secretly ( :lol: ) a count of the minorities I saw. Here's who I appeared to observe at that store, again in reduced traffic at 10:15 on a Friday night...the numbers include kids:

Hispanics - 5

(India)ns - 5

Asians - 6

African americans - 4

Caucasians - probably 80-150

The only group that was one single family was the Asian group.

Again, this is in a county that 20+ years ago was like a big, deep-Ozark Mayberry, RFD circa 1956. EVERY TIME I VISIT I see diversity there like this.

It ain't Cali, but it's pretty fun nonetheless...

Go asians!

:thumbsup:

Seriously though....that whole "diversifying" thing is good to hear.

I'll agree with you there. Getting back to the one of the topics mentioned earlier. I think the U of A should have more Black American studies. Yes there isn't a large Afro American population here, but it's the state's major institution and most of the state does have a sizeable Afro American community. But I'm also for more diversity in general and I think even things like this will help.

Go asians!

:thumbsup:

I'll one up myself.

I went to the new Pleasant Grove Wal-Mart in south Rogers...saw three black families there (along with several others). One of the couples was a very happy-looking pair. My curiosity got the better of me, and I asked the man a question like: "Excuse me, but I go on line and talk on a web site that seems to have forums for every major American metro area, including NWA. A lady who's looking at moving from California asked us on the bulletin board how conditions are for black people here. 'Scuse me for asking, but how do you all enjoy it here?"

Here's the man's answer, near verbatim:

"Tell the young lady (hear that Joosey) that we are from California too, by way of Dallas, where we just moved from last week. We LOVE it up here. It's like a big metropolitan area without the problems of a big metro area."

I also saw in that same W-M a tall white guy with a baseball cap who was escorting a young lady, obviously muslim in a partial chador of some kind (with the headscarf they call a rus

And the great news is that in another decade or two noone will even notice that there's a mix of races in NWA. I think one of the problems is that people here aren't used to seeing African Americans everywhere and Indians in traditional clothing. I can't wait until we all just blend together. :D

I am so touched by everyone on here for giving me such great responses. I think most people out there in NWA are just a lot nicer all around than here in So.Ca.

People don't hardly even make eye contact with you here let alone stop a stranger and ask them an important question for you! So thank you thank you thank you thank you. All of you are exactly why we want out of California and into the South!

We got some positive responses today in the mail from the City of Fayetteville! Cross your fingers for us ;)

Everyone have a wonderful 4th of July!

I am so touched by everyone on here for giving me such great responses. I think most people out there in NWA are just a lot nicer all around than here in So.Ca.

People don't hardly even make eye contact with you here let alone stop a stranger and ask them an important question for you! So thank you thank you thank you thank you. All of you are exactly why we want out of California and into the South!

We got some positive responses today in the mail from the City of Fayetteville! Cross your fingers for us ;)

Everyone have a wonderful 4th of July!

Your welcome.

I myself bumped into an African American Family of 6 today at Wal-Mart. They said they had moved to Rogers a few months ago, and they absolutely love it.

I hope everything goes good for you.

I spent the 4th at Memorial Park in Bentonville and if there's anyonewho says we don't have diversity in NWA they weren't at Memorial Park on the 4th. There was easily 50% Hispanics there and I saw several families that didn't really seem Hispanic, possibly Phillipino. There were very few African Americans, I may have seen a few that were actually mixed in with what I thought was a Phillipino family. It was a huge family! My conclusion is that we do have a very strong Hispanic presence in NWA, but still lack a significant percentage of other races.

I spent the 4th at Memorial Park in Bentonville and if there's anyonewho says we don't have diversity in NWA they weren't at Memorial Park on the 4th. There was easily 50% Hispanics there and I saw several families that didn't really seem Hispanic, possibly Phillipino. There were very few African Americans, I may have seen a few that were actually mixed in with what I thought was a Phillipino family. It was a huge family! My conclusion is that we do have a very strong Hispanic presence in NWA, but still lack a significant percentage of other races.

Just had an asian-american customer come into our store (after a hispanic family of 5) in Centerton.

Talked with her about "diversity" (she was wondering about how many restaurants there are in this city) and she said she thinks there are thousands of non-Indian asians in NWA...the chinese in Bentonville, the Hmong Laotians in west Benton County, etc.

Archived