Racial diversity in Northwest Arkansas

jooseyjoose

Did you find the article KJW?

Not yet, Matt...I'll look today.

Here's an article in today's paper that says approximately 25% of Gentry High School's population is now classified as a minority, mostly Hmong or Hispanic.

(I love the girl's comment at the end: "Racism is definitely big here...but it's getting better". I wonder how she would define "racism"? :rolleyes: )

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not yet, Matt...I'll look today.

Here's an article in today's paper that says approximately 25% of Gentry High School's population is now classified as a minority, mostly Hmong or Hispanic.

(I love the girl's comment at the end: "Racism is definitely big here...but it's getting better". I wonder how she would define "racism"? :rolleyes: )

Interesting...also in today's paper is an article saying that the same ethnic mix is in place at Decatur a few miles to the north. (I knew about the heavy hispanic population there but not the Laotian one.)

• 2 weeks later...

Talked with a guy whose son is a Springdale police officer who deals frequently with both Mexicans and Marshallese.

He said one thing that will make Marshallese people mad is if you call them a "Mexican".

Well, at the W-M supercenter at Pleasant Grove there are express lanes that say "Caja rapida"...I asked a swarthy lady named Rosalina at the cashier's stand how you pronounce it and she said: "I don't know...I'm not Mexican, I'm from the Marshall Islands".

She was sweet about it but I felt like a clown. :rolleyes:

Another article in today's Demo-zette Business Matters that I don't know of a link to...this cover story talks about the growing power of hispanic owned businesses in NWA. A couple of points:

- According to recent census data, Arkansas now has 130,846 (documented?) hispanics. By comparison, Benton County (23,996) and Washington County (22,415) combined now apparently have over 1/3 of the state's hispanics according to the same data. (I wonder what the hispanic population of McDonald County, MO now is? I'm guessing it's very significant though not the same numbers as "B and W".)

- The chambers of commerce are very interested in this, but for Benton County they say there is more of an Asian business presence than a hispanic one at this point in time.

Another article in today's Demo-zette Business Matters that I don't know of a link to...this cover story talks about the growing power of hispanic owned businesses in NWA. A couple of points:

- According to recent census data, Arkansas now has 130,846 (documented?) hispanics. By comparison, Benton County (23,996) and Washington County (22,415) combined now apparently have over 1/3 of the state's hispanics according to the same data. (I wonder what the hispanic population of McDonald County, MO now is? I'm guessing it's very significant though not the same numbers as "B and W".)

- The chambers of commerce are very interested in this, but for Benton County they say there is more of an Asian business presence than a hispanic one at this point in time.

• 3 weeks later...
That would have been fun. I wonder if it's more of a closed celebration reserved for Hmong people only or was it a public event? I know that with American Indian Powwows that unless you're openly invited to one (advertising or word of mouth) don't go because it's reserved for just a certain tribes or tribes only.

I went with our assistant store manager to St. Bernard's catholic church in Bella Vista to give a presentation for our business to the monthly NWA quilter's guild meeting. At the church they had photos of people from across the U.S. who've recently joined the parish.

It was so cool to see 7 black people (from 2 families, all from Louisiana, I think) had joined a BV church.

I went with our assistant store manager to St. Bernard's catholic church in Bella Vista to give a presentation for our business to the monthly NWA quilter's guild meeting. At the church they had photos of people from across the U.S. who've recently joined the parish.

It was so cool to see 7 black people (from 2 families, all from Louisiana, I think) had joined a BV church.

Archived