Racial diversity in Northwest Arkansas

jooseyjoose

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I haven't been to it. Was it like a typical Asian gift store with a bunch of asian pottery, paintings, and cheap toys?

I didn't take a real good look. I did see pottery and paintings. I don't recall seeing many cheap toys. I'm sure it's not the greatest place. But I didn't see it and think it was particularly crappy either. I just didn't take a good luck because I haven't gotten much into Asian decor. I'm more into a Southwest style motiff with a little Spanish/Moorish influence.

I didn't take a real good look. I did see pottery and paintings. I don't recall seeing many cheap toys. I'm sure it's not the greatest place. But I didn't see it and think it was particularly crappy either. I just didn't take a good luck because I haven't gotten much into Asian decor. I'm more into a Southwest style motiff with a little Spanish/Moorish influence.

I've been into it a few times, it isn't a cheap little store. They have fine China, a lot of vases, some paintings (some completely not in theme, but they are OK at least), some interesting jade sculpture and some various other Oriental themed things. It isn't a crap store though, they have a few little knick-knacks, but it is mostly nice stuff. There is a jade patio table there that I would LOVE to have, but I just can't afford a five figure table... =) At least you wouldn't have to worry about someone stealing it, I assume the whole thing weighs more than a car since I could barely move one of the chairs and I'm not a little guy...

I've been into it a few times, it isn't a cheap little store. They have fine China, a lot of vases, some paintings (some completely not in theme, but they are OK at least), some interesting jade sculpture and some various other Oriental themed things. It isn't a crap store though, they have a few little knick-knacks, but it is mostly nice stuff. There is a jade patio table there that I would LOVE to have, but I just can't afford a five figure table... =) At least you wouldn't have to worry about someone stealing it, I assume the whole thing weighs more than a car since I could barely move one of the chairs and I'm not a little guy...

Cool, now I wish I had paid a little more attention. :lol:

Been there myself and it is a great Chinese import store. My favorite is their tea sets in decorative boxes and the vases that are nearly 5-feet tall! The last time I was there I had to make a quick retreat because my 2 year old son likes the tea sets too, fortunately he didn't get a chance to break anything. whew

Been there myself and it is a great Chinese import store. My favorite is their tea sets in decorative boxes and the vases that are nearly 5-feet tall! The last time I was there I had to make a quick retreat because my 2 year old son likes the tea sets too, fortunately he didn't get a chance to break anything. whew

Man, that would have been scary. Some of that stuff is paper thin and just waiting for little hands =)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been meaning to post this forever, but Bentonville has an Islamic Center.

The Bentonville Islamic Center practices in the Sunni religon and was established well over a year ago. My parents told me about this a while ago, and I simply forgot about it. The facility is kind of small, only about 150 sq. feet and can only hold 15 people. They have expressed interest in a larger facility, but no offers have been made.

So far, the Asian population of NWA is 8,362 or (2.1%) of the total NWA population.

Also, on another note, while in the 6th Street Wal-Mart in Fayetteville, I counted 4 Middle Eastern families that were in traditional hijab garb. I take it most are here for the University, but some are probably Wal-Mart and Tyson employees.

I have been meaning to post this forever, but Bentonville has an Islamic Center.

The Bentonville Islamic Center practices in the Sunni religon and was established well over a year ago. My parents told me about this a while ago, and I simply forgot about it. The facility is kind of small, only about 150 sq. feet and can only hold 15 people. They have expressed interest in a larger facility, but no offers have been made.

So far, the Asian population of NWA is 8,362 or (2.1%) of the total NWA population.

Also, on another note, while in the 6th Street Wal-Mart in Fayetteville, I counted 4 Middle Eastern families that were in traditional hijab garb. I take it most are here for the University, but some are probably Wal-Mart and Tyson employees.

Interesting. The one here in Fayetteville sounds a bit bigger but I'm not sure exactly how big it is.

Interesting. The one here in Fayetteville sounds a bit bigger but I'm not sure exactly how big it is.

It is a lot bigger. It's by the university off Razorback Rd I believe.

I know you've posted pics of it before, because it's right across from the Track Center and Football Stadium. The one in Bentonville is so small, but I think that within a year they'll find a larger facility.

It is a lot bigger. It's by the university off Razorback Rd I believe.

I know you've posted pics of it before, because it's right across from the Track Center and Football Stadium. The one in Bentonville is so small, but I think that within a year they'll find a larger facility.

Yeah I've posted pics of it before. I've never seen the inside of it or anything. I also doubt they'd want me taking pics inside either. But anyway nice to hear of the one up there and it's growth as well.

It's the largest in the state, even bigger than Ft. Smith's which is around 4,500 or so.

Matt, if you combined NWA's and Fort Smith's asian population into one city, that city would be the size of Siloam Springs.

That's fascinating in ANY southeastern state in any city not named "Dallas", "Houston", "Miami" or "Atlanta", IMO.

You're right, it's pretty big in Southeast.

I'd like to see a break down on these numbers to see the amounts of East Indians, Chinese, Filipinos, Japanese, Korean, etc ?

Matt, I may still have that article in the original newspaper format...if I do I'll post it...it had the exact breakdown (for NWA) in a pie chart.

150 sq.ft.? I take it the Islamic Center is in a small suite in an office building or something?

There was an article in today's Northwest Arkansas Times mentioning how many Muslims even those of Middle Eastern ancestry felt secure and happy here in Fayetteville. They also mentioned that they didn't have problems of feeling misunderstood like some other parts of the country. I was certainly happy to see that. Nice to hear some positives about this for a change.

This is said with some hesitancy, since it's now 22 years since I lived in NW Arkansas while at the University of Arkansas, but the racial attitudes were far more relaxed in Little Rock (1957 notwithstanding) than in Fayetteville. As a white Central Arkansan, one of the hardest things to adjust to was the fact that you never saw any black people off-campus and yet folks seemed to talk of them quite a lot and usually seemed hostile. I took a trip up there with my Latina fiancee 10 years ago just to show her where I'd gone to school and folks seemed disconcertingly hostile to her, so I've just steered clear of the issue. However, time changes things and I now have a cousin from Star City in South Arkansas who has recently made the move up there and is very happy, so perhaps things have changed. NW Arkansas is a very, very beautiful place and I only hope that Little Rock and the Fayetteville-Rogers-Springdale-Bentonville growth center can get past the tendency we now have to hiss at one another and work together for the growth of all of Arkansas.

This is said with some hesitancy, since it's now 22 years since I lived in NW Arkansas while at the University of Arkansas, but the racial attitudes were far more relaxed in Little Rock (1957 notwithstanding) than in Fayetteville. As a white Central Arkansan, one of the hardest things to adjust to was the fact that you never saw any black people off-campus and yet folks seemed to talk of them quite a lot and usually seemed hostile. I took a trip up there with my Latina fiancee 10 years ago just to show her where I'd gone to school and folks seemed disconcertingly hostile to her, so I've just steered clear of the issue. However, time changes things and I now have a cousin from Star City in South Arkansas who has recently made the move up there and is very happy, so perhaps things have changed. NW Arkansas is a very, very beautiful place and I only hope that Little Rock and the Fayetteville-Rogers-Springdale-Bentonville growth center can get past the tendency we now have to hiss at one another and work together for the growth of all of Arkansas.

Interesting, as far as Fayetteville is concerned it's always seemed very open and relaxed since I've lived here. I saw interracial marriages a lot earlier here than many other parts of the state. Although I don't have much of a perspecitive of Little Rock about this. I could see it being a bigger problem in other areas of the metro especially in the past. Granted just because we haven't really had any big racial problems like some other areas doesn't mean everyone here is welcoming all this diversity with open arms. especially older people who feel more threatened because all of these new people and their culture they don't understand. And the fact that they remember when this area was pretty much all white when they were younger.

Times have definitely changed. I've shared my story here before, but I've been in an interracial marriage, living in NW Arkansas, for the past 12 years, and we have had zero problems (my husband is East Indian). Most people don't bat an eye. If you stand outside the David Glass Technology building (IT dept) at 5:30 on a weekday, you won't believe the diversity of people Wal-mart has brought to the area. I would say there are hundreds if not thousands of minorities working in that division.

The only racial tension I know of around here is regarding the illegal immigration of Hispanics. But I would dare say that's a problem everywhere in America right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived