Trader Joe's

memphis born

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been my idea for years. I live on the West Coast where TJ's are everywhere. I am not sure if Downtown is the best place, but Midtown, Germantown/Collierville and/or East Poplar for sure.

Midtown at least, yeah. I'm thinking Overton Square would be perfect for one of these kinds of natural food store places. TJ, Wild Oats, whatever. Maybe a place in the Pinch District or South Main as well.

I haven't lived in Memphis for awhile but didn't the Wild Oats you had in Midtown close? I wonder why? I think TJ's may do better in a city like Memphis because the perception as "elitist" as a natural food store doesn't exist as much. The focus is more on saving money on "good" food--and beer and wine. That joint beer and wine combo might be an issue for the franchise in Memphis, however, as I know that a huge bulk of TJ's stores focus is on a stellar, cheap wine selection.

I haven't lived in Memphis for awhile but didn't the Wild Oats you had in Midtown close? I wonder why? I think TJ's may do better in a city like Memphis because the perception as "elitist" as a natural food store doesn't exist as much. The focus is more on saving money on "good" food--and beer and wine. That joint beer and wine combo might be an issue for the franchise in Memphis, however, as I know that a huge bulk of TJ's stores focus is on a stellar, cheap wine selection.

Honestly, all those kinds of stores confuse me. There was this other kind of Wild Oats kind of store that Memphis didn't have. Don't remember the name of it. One of those stores has been extremely successful out east by Clark Tower. There might still be a place in Midtown too. It makes more sense in Midtown, honestly. All three of them (don't remember the name of the third one) seem similar to me.

Honestly, all those kinds of stores confuse me. There was this other kind of Wild Oats kind of store that Memphis didn't have. Don't remember the name of it. One of those stores has been extremely successful out east by Clark Tower. There might still be a place in Midtown too. It makes more sense in Midtown, honestly. All three of them (don't remember the name of the third one) seem similar to me.

Wild Oats is the store by Clark Tower and the Paradiso

Whole Foods--the big daddy. You know you have arrived if Whole Foods deems your city appropriate for its palaces. They are gorgeous stores, but overrated and way overpriced. Plus they are starting to mix some ridiculous politics with their business, like not having live lobster tanks because it is is "cruel". Whole Foods would only be fitting in East Memphis or the East suburbs and even then I am not certain it is a good fit at all.

^A lot of smaller cities have "arrived" before Memphis b/c they don't already have places like Wild Oats, Fresh Market, etc.

Whole foods is just the super-walmart of its market. From what I've heard they are expanding rapidly too. I agree with thakrza that one in the Memphis area should go out East, Germantown, etc--if anywhere. The one in Baton Rouge opened last year in an area that would pretty much translate into East Memphis/Germantown. It does amazing business. However, it's the anchor for a massive "lifestyle center" trying to part from its suburban-shopping-center identity with prettier buildings, cobblestone sidewalks, and a name like "The Towne Centre at Cedar Lodge." It's kind of silly. The store is very nice though.

The one here in Portland (there are 2 more in the immediate works) is in the swanky area Downtown and is more of a touristy shopping spot, even if you live here. We don't shop there on a regular basis, it is almost viewed as a treat and even then, it is a let down in a weird way. Probably because Portland has an excellent locally-owned natural foods supermarket that doesn't focus so much on being fabulous. It sells gourmet and artisan goods while still carrying low-cost basic familar brands for not too much more than the big supermarkets. Memphis had this model 15 years ago (I cannot for the life of me recall the name now) and someone wise would go for this again with one in Midtown, maybe one Downtown and one out East.

The one here in Portland (there are 2 more in the immediate works) is in the swanky area Downtown and is more of a touristy shopping spot, even if you live here. We don't shop there on a regular basis, it is almost viewed as a treat and even then, it is a let down in a weird way. Probably because Portland has an excellent locally-owned natural foods supermarket that doesn't focus so much on being fabulous. It sells gourmet and artisan goods while still carrying low-cost basic familar brands for not too much more than the big supermarkets. Memphis had this model 15 years ago (I cannot for the life of me recall the name now) and someone wise would go for this again with one in Midtown, maybe one Downtown and one out East.

Easy Way? hahahahahaha

Are those still around?

No, they were actually the stores that eventually became Wild Oats. They started out at the Square in the 80's and then moved to bigger locations (Union and White Station). They quickly sold out to Wild Oats when they realized they were in over their heads.

• 2 weeks later...

No, they were actually the stores that eventually became Wild Oats. They started out at the Square in the 80's and then moved to bigger locations (Union and White Station). They quickly sold out to Wild Oats when they realized they were in over their heads.

Squash Blossom

Archived