Clarksville/Murfreesboro Greenways

Fallingwater

I was born in Clarksville but have resided in Murfreesboro since 1995 with a 15 year residency in Nashville in between. I was very recently back in Clarksville for a visit and discovered a new portion of the Riverwalk Greenway. The portion I discovered is called the Upland Trail. Having experienced both the Greenway systems of Clarksville and Murfreesboro leads me to make some personal comparisons.

The Clarksville Riverwalk has won International Acclaim and is the more publicized of the two. However, it is nice trying to compare two Greenway systems which are vastly different.

Currently, Murfreesboro's system is much longer and seems to be much more a nature oriented trail than Clarksville's system. The Murfreesboro system meanders through the woods along the Stones River and Lyttle Creek and is almost entirely underneath forrest growth. There are some beautiful natural panaramas to be found along that trail. Personally, I think Murfreesboro's system is much more beautiful than Clarksville's.

Clarksville's system has a much more urban feel. Despite being the shorter of the two (to date), it seems much more expense has gone into its construction which features an elaborate pedestrian bridge across Riverside Drive as well as an ampitheatre, museum, period lighting with sound system and other features. I love the way an old railroad tressel was converted into a pedestrian bridge across Commerce Street downtown and the view of downtown from this vista will provide photographers some nice opportunitys for urban landscapes (the new bank being built on the Public Square is quite an imposing figure from the railroad tressel pedestrian bridge!).

Clarksville's Riverwalk supports night time use since it is lighted whereas Murfreesboro's system is closed at Sundown. However, Murfreeboros system allows bicyclists and leashed pets which are both off limits to Clarksville's system.

Murfreesboro's system features the nature which was already present whereas Clarksville's system is largely landscaped.

So, for anyone who has experenced both of these systems; Which do you prefer? Personally, I prefer Murfreesboro's system strictly for the beautiful nature vistas such as the portion along Lyttle Creek. However, Clarksville's system is still in the throes of being born and the scope of the overall project is quite large and will eventually (possibly) include a marina and restoration of Fort Defience.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't experienced either one, but both sound very dersirable in their own right. Ideally a city would have a greenway of each type. I think the Clarksville greenway may be better used because of it's 24-hr nature and it's being more woven into the urban fabric.

I haven't experienced either one, but both sound very dersirable in their own right. Ideally a city would have a greenway of each type. I think the Clarksville greenway may be better used because of it's 24-hr nature and it's being more woven into the urban fabric.

Hello Hankster,

Thank you for the reply.

I have always seen more people on the Murfreesboro Greenway than on Clarksvilles. However, the Clarksville Greenway can handle events which are attended by thousands such as the Riverfest in September and the Christmas Lights during Christmas. Uhm, I think the Clarksville Greenway does close at midnight or at least that portion around McGregor Park. I do think the Upland Trail portion is open 24 hours but that is more downtown rather than on the river.

Hello Hankster,

Thank you for the reply.

I have always seen more people on the Murfreesboro Greenway than on Clarksvilles. However, the Clarksville Greenway can handle events which are attended by thousands such as the Riverfest in September and the Christmas Lights during Christmas. Uhm, I think the Clarksville Greenway does close at midnight or at least that portion around McGregor Park. I do think the Upland Trail portion is open 24 hours but that is more downtown rather than on the river.

Murfreesboro's greenway is urban in its own right and hundreds of people depend on it for work, groceries, or leisurely exercise everyday. With plans in the works to connect it to Smyrna, Lavergne, and eventually Antioch the Greenway will be used even more. However, the fact that it closes 30 minutes before sunset is disappointing.

i've only been to the one in murfreesboro. i love it. you can go 4.5 miles down the river into the city center. there are a lot of interesting side trails too. it passes right through some of the civil war battelfields. i've heard a lot of great things about clarksville's system. i'd love to go up there one day and walk it.

Murfreesboro's greenway is urban in its own right and hundreds of people depend on it for work, groceries, or leisurely exercise everyday. With plans in the works to connect it to Smyrna, Lavergne, and eventually Antioch the Greenway will be used even more. However, the fact that it closes 30 minutes before sunset is disappointing.

I recall an article in the Tennessean several months ago where there is a vision to connect all the Greenways from Murfreesboro to Clarksville and form a mega-Greenway. Anyone who can walk that in its entirety should receive some kind of recognition. Then again, there are people who walk the Appalachian trails from the Smokeys up to New England!

i've only been to the one in murfreesboro. i love it. you can go 4.5 miles down the river into the city center. there are a lot of interesting side trails too. it passes right through some of the civil war battelfields. i've heard a lot of great things about clarksville's system. i'd love to go up there one day and walk it.

Hello satalac,

I love Murfreesboro's Greenway too and wish I had more opportunity to use it. I used to go to the more popular entryways around Broad Street and Thompson Lane but then I discovered that part of the trail just behind Old Fort Park and the beauty of that rushing brook known as Lyttle Creek was just so captivating (and romantic!).

Clarksville's Riverwalk is completely different. Walk it only if you do not mind being completely exposed to the days Sun and heat (unless you walk it at night). Phase I of the project won an International Award although I am not exactly sure why that is. Unless one is simply an avid walker then there does not look as if there is much to see along the way along the river portion. However, I think it would be a fantastic experience during one of the Festivals which would have live bands performing and a fireworks barge on the river as a backdrop. The Upland Trail portion offers one the option of continueing on the trail or walking up to the downtown area which includes its own self guided walking tours.

The ideal time (for me at least) would be to attend the Rivers and Spires Festival downtown and then sneak away to walk the Riverwalk at night before returning to the festival. I attended that festival for the first time this year and that is what my daughter and I did. It was a great combo!

Edited by Fallingwater

Hello satalac,

I love Murfreesboro's Greenway too and wish I had more opportunity to use it. I used to go to the more popular entryways around Broad Street and Thompson Lane but then I discovered that part of the trail just behind Old Fort Park and the beauty of that rushing brook known as Lyttle Creek was just so captivating (and romantic!).

Clarksville's Riverwalk is completely different. Walk it only if you do not mind being completely exposed to the days Sun and heat (unless you walk it at night). Phase I of the project won an International Award although I am not exactly sure why that is. Unless one is simply an avid walker then there does not look as if there is much to see along the way along the river portion. However, I think it would be a fantastic experience during one of the Festivals which would have live bands performing and a fireworks barge on the river as a backdrop. The Upland Trail portion offers one the option of continueing on the trail or walking up to the downtown area which includes its own self guided walking tours.

The ideal time (for me at least) would be to attend the Rivers and Spires Festival downtown and then sneak away to walk the Riverwalk at night before returning to the festival. I attended that festival for the first time this year and that is what my daughter and I did. It was a great combo!

thanks for the great info fallingwater! and welcome to the forum. it's always great to have new posters share their wonderful experience.

I recall an article in the Tennessean several months ago where there is a vision to connect all the Greenways from Murfreesboro to Clarksville and form a mega-Greenway. Anyone who can walk that in its entirety should receive some kind of recognition. Then again, there are people who walk the Appalachian trails from the Smokeys up to New England!

I hope they do that. It would be awesome to either walk or bike the entire length of it, and since it would travel through Nashville and connect the three largest cities in Middle Tennessee together, I think it would have tremendous use. It would be cool to set up a mega endurance run along it from Clarksville to Murfreesboro!

I hope they do that. It would be awesome to either walk or bike the entire length of it, and since it would travel through Nashville and connect the three largest cities in Middle Tennessee together, I think it would have tremendous use. It would be cool to set up a mega endurance run along it from Clarksville to Murfreesboro!

Hello Hankster,

If I remember the article correctly, the plans call for first linking the Murfreesboro system to one in Smyrna. I wasn't aware of one in Smyrna but apparently they do have one. Then it is to be linked to Nashville, etc. I really do not know if all this will actually come to fruition but some are talking about it and making plans. I think I would drop dead of exhaustion before ever reaching Smyrna from Murfreesboro!

For those who do have the endurance, yes, I think it would be cool and a real challenge especially when one reaches the more hilly terrain where the Nashville Basin becomes the Cumberland Plateau (or is it the Highland Rim?). I also think Clarksville would need to change it's "no bicycles" policy for its own system. I really do not know why they do not allow bicycles in the first place.

Just for reference, a picture I took of the Clarksville greenway this spring.

clarksville041.jpg

Thank you for the photo, PHofKS. As you can see and already know.... very little shade for the weary. I think that portion of the Riverwalk is about 1 1/2 miles long and what is obscured from view in your photo is the Museum and ampitheatre which I believe would be located somewhere behind that clump of trees at the top center part of your photograph.

If you cross the Riverside Drive pedestrian bridge and make your way to the Riverview Inn Hotel then that is where you will find the new Upland Trail portion of the Riverwalk. There are some pretty good vistas and photo opportunities of downtown along the railroad tressel bridge. Actually, that portion of the trail includes two old railroad tressels integrated into the trail and those are just too cool, man! I hope that I am not violating forum rules or decorum by posting a link to some photos of the Upland trail (if so, then someone please simply give me notice of my wrongdoing) but a few are available from the Architect.

http://www.tunspan.com/cutsheets/Public%20...and%20Trail.pdf

Edited by Fallingwater