Alternative Fuels in the Triangle

JunktionFET

In Cary, a BP station in MacGregor is going to join several other existing stations in the region by serving Soybean based Biodiesel fuel. They are having a "light lunch" on June 28 for enthusiasts and people who rock a diesel power vehicle.

This station is only 3 miles or so from my house. Before this, the nearest station was a good 10-15 minute drive from home... so this is cool!

Progress Energy has already converted the majority of their fleet to Biodiesel, and the state is considering converting their vehicles. Wake County schools (and perhaps surrounding counties) is considering converting their school bus and maintainence vehicle fleet as well.

The beauty of Biodiesel is that it is something that is homegrown, and it is renewable. Not only that, but it burns cleaner and has more potential energy than dino-diesel. It takes less energy to prepare it, and the refining process is not harmful to the environment (unlike petroleum).

Here in NC Biodiesel is obtained from Soybeans, but in places like the midwest it can be obtained from Corn. Either way, high reliance on Biodiesel would bolster the American economy in a way that has never been seen. The poorest parts of the country would experience an unparalleled economic boom.

I don't need to mention what it would do to the political landscape, but needless to say, I don't think the US would care much about what's going on in oil producing Middle East countries. Such countries would have to find some other product to sell in order to fill the rather large gap that would be formed in their economy, like sand maybe. :)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

E85 is an excellent alternative fuel for gasoline engines. A surprising number of new cars on the market have the ability to use this type of fuel. Technically, many older fuel injected cars (like European cars from the 80s) can burn it just fine. A simple idle A/F mixture and timing tweak is all that's really needed on most. Vehicles built before a certain date (sometime in the mid 80s) benefit from renewed fuel lines and fuel system o-rings, but that really isn't a big deal. Vegetable based fuels tend to be hard on old style rubber.

Newer cars that used mapped fuel and ignition systems need to be programmed to handle E85--keeping the engine in optimal tune. On the newest of cars, the use of E85 all comes down to what software is running your engine. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Biodiesel continues to impress me. This is my second tankful and I love it. I can tell the engine likes it too. Now we just need more stations and more exposure.

The engine does feel smoother, and the exhaust has definitely lost what little potentcy it had.

• 1 year later...

I don't think THAT is really fair! :) There are plenty of reasons to seek alternative fuels that have nothing to do with global warming. Two that come to mind are diversification of our economy (The Colonial pipeline is the aorta to the world's economy), and expansion of options makes prices fall - we're paying a monopoly in the middle east for fuel.

• 1 month later...

I tried to find the other post on this but couldn't.

The station that has E85 is "Cruizers Filling Station" on Sedwick Rd right off of I-40 near 147 (the Durham Freeway).

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1914+Sedwick+Rd+Durham+NC

( They also have B20 biodiesel )

To see if your car's compatible with E85, go here: http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/flexfuelvehicles.php

Hope this helps -

Archived