Triangle Site

hood

There are very few projects I have ever not wanted to see the light of day, in Lansing, but this is one of them after seeing the renderings, and seeing how poorly the site is going to be used. Even the Lansing State Journal, a paper that rarely ever doesn't endorse downtown development, has written two or three editorials on why this one should fail.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/apps/pb...D=2007706110353

Downtown state police HQ nearing approval

State officials are moving ahead with plans for a new state police headquarters, despite criticism that they will be walking away from a $1-a-year lease for their current building.

The State Administrative Board is expected to give a final OK to a 25-year lease-to-own agreement on a planned $45 million downtown Lansing headquarters.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Excuse my ignorance but I didn't see the renderings you mentioned. Do you have a link to them?

hood- Your rendering was interesting, I think most people that follow the boards here know that I'm a fan of height. If this goes through in a fashion similar to your 20 story rendering and the condo comes through at the 20 story mark Grand Ave will be a nice little skyscraper alley.

I just have to add to my thoughts...

I was one of the few that was actually anticipating this project, I hate that we have surface parking downtown and I'd love to see hi-rise development of every possible lot. I was looking forward to the city adding to its skyline and I felt like this project along with the condos would really improve the skyline effect of the city (assuming they build the condos as high as their highest projected height).

But after seeing the design, I hope this project goes down in flames. I'm disgusted with Ferguson for putting together such a disgusting design that would be better suited to a suburban office park and having the nerve to put it on prime downtown riverfront acerage.

I relaize that this is an early rendering but I'm literally disgusted over this now. A design like this, for that property should never have seen the light of day.

It just shows you how hungry the city and state are for any, development that they''ll approve anything. I think the actual design of the building is ugly, but I'm even more offended by the site plan. We're still going to have a parking lot on the river when all is said and done, and surface parking, at that. And, because of this project's special security needs, what is being constructed is essentially a concrete bunker that more resembles the many state prisons than anything that belongs on Lansing's riverfront. I said it at Develop Metro Lansing, but this thing is a smaller, significantly uglier Constitution Hall, which is saying a lot considering Constitution Hall ain't pretty.

It just shows you how hungry the city and state are for any, development that they''ll approve anything. I think the actual design of the building is ugly, but I'm even more offended by the site plan. We're still going to have a parking lot on the river when all is said and done, and surface parking, at that. And, because of this project's special security needs, what is being constructed is essentially a concrete bunker that more resembles the many state prisons than anything that belongs on Lansing's riverfront. I said it at Develop Metro Lansing, but this thing is a smaller, significantly uglier Constitution Hall, which is saying a lot considering Constitution Hall ain't pretty.

They realize that few people outside of those who care about this thing (a tiny percentage of Lansing) will care about this. They also care about making money above all else, and they really got the state good on this one. Looking at the money part of this, they actually duped the state, but no one was really duped. This is all about the high political connections of each of the developers.

• 3 months later...

Updated, with new (and better) rendering:

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...20316/1001/news

Security to buffer state police HQ

Security features will create a barrier between the new Michigan State Police headquarters and the rest of downtown Lansing.

But the project is key to helping the area grow, one of the site's developers said Thursday.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm pleased to see how the LSJ came out and said what most of us where thinking: this will add little value to downtown in an urban planning sense.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yah, this is one project I don't want to see. There's no need for it right now. On the other hand, what really irked me the other day, is the representative from Grand Ledge who is running a petition against the project (which I agree with) went on to say that even if we were to build it, a building of such important homeland security should never be built in a central business district. He was talking as if he was speaking to and scolding children. Of course he said...it should be built like the state secondary complex in a place like Grand Ledge where it is inaccessible.

I rolled my eyes, rented a tow truck, drove to all 50 state capitols, hooked them up, and drove them to a little nook on the side of Mt. Everest, 12,000 feet up. :rolleyes:

I don't like Rick Jones one bit, and he has interest in seeing this moved out to the State Secondary Complex. I'm surprised that it's still in existence, and fortunately, Granholm put out the executive order in her first term (one of the first things that she did, in fact) steering any new state office construction into central cities where it should be anyway. The State Secondary Complex never should have been built in the first place. Well, at least not that far out.

• 7 months later...

Ah ok, I saw that one earlier but thought it was the old one. Thanks for posting it!

Something really great should be going in that spot if you ask me, but I guess this isn't the worst thing that could happen... but for such a prime location it seems like such a shame and a wasted opportunity. Perfect opportunity for a tower with waterfront restaurant/retail/bar, a nice waterfront park.... ah well.

I couldn't agree with you more. I had hoped that River Street would be rebuilt to reform the "triangle", allowing complete use of the site. But the State Police Headquarters is better than nothing, even if not by much. It will still help add density and I have a feeling I'll eventually warm up to the building.

• 1 month later...

Archived