Interesting & Famous people

snoogit

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting bit:

Back in the late 1920s, the young Spencer Tracy lived at Oakwood Manor while peforming on the old Keith Theatre circuit downtown. The Oakwood office may still have this information....but I understand the management there is pretty marginal now, waiting for the condo-conversion.

Anyway, haul that fact out at your next cocktail party!

Dont forget about Maynard from Tool. And Wayne Static of Static-X is a Michigander too, but I don't remember if he's a West Michigander or not.

I think Maynard only attended Kendall here, I don't think he lived anywhere else in the state.

But then again I guess the topic wasn't necessarily about native W. Michiganders.

I can't believe that no one mentioned............................

debargebest8eu.jpg

(What the hell were they thinking anyway..........)

or

Edit: Image Removed..........under review for Grand Rapids connections

Brian VanderArk and the guys from Verve Pipe. They gathered a large fanbase among the college bar crowd in the early mid 90's, signed to a major lable for a bit, even opened for the likes of KISS. They've since broken up, but I believe Brian just released a solo CD and currently resides in GR.

Brian VanderArk and the guys from Verve Pipe. They gathered a large fanbase among the college bar crowd in the early mid 90's, signed to a major lable for a bit, even opened for the likes of KISS. They've since broken up, but I believe Brian just released a solo CD and currently resides in GR.

He also is playing at the Muskegon Summer Celebration with Smashmouth I believe, and has played festival in the past.

What connection does Meat Loaf have with Grand Rapids?

Hmmm.....Good question. My mother (a Meatloaf fan) told me years ago that he went to high school here.

I tried to verify that on Google but try googling Grand Rapids and Meatloaf and see what the results are.....(darn, now I'm hungry).

I will ask her what in the world she was talking about.

So until then I rescind my Meatloaf contribution to this thread............... :thumbsup:

Edit: I did however find this interesting unrelated tid bit while googling........

Al Green

Green was born in Forest City, Arkansas, where he formed a gospel quartet, the Green Brothers, at the age of nine. The group toured throughout the South in the mid- '50s, before the family relocated to Grand Rapids, Michigan. The Green Brothers continued to perform in Grand Rapids, but Al's father kicked the boy out of the group after he caught his son listening to Jackie Wilson. At the age of 16, Al formed an R&B group, Al Green & the Creations, with several of his high-school friends. Two Creation members, Curtis Rogers and Palmer James, founded their own independent record company, Hot Line Music Journal, and had the group record for the label. By that time, the Creations had been re-named the Soul Mates. The group's first single, "Back Up Train," became a surprise hit, climbing to number five on the R&B charts early in 1968. The Soul Mates attempted to record another hit, but all of their subsequent singles failed to find an audience.

I think Maynard only attended Kendall here, I don't think he lived anywhere else in the state.

But then again I guess the topic wasn't necessarily about native W. Michiganders.

I can't believe that no one mentioned............................

Thats funny that you would mention DeBarge, Nitro. A friend of mine and I ran into the bassist at Firehouse Music on Chicago Dr several years ago.

A few Detroit players have homes in Kentwood... Every now in then we get a few customers that look suspect of being players for the early 90s Pistons and I think a few Red Wings.

Off the top of my head:

The Bissels and their fame to keeping my house clean.

The Butterball folks and their turkey was fantastic last year -- it knocked me out in a matter of minutes.

I saw Verve Pipe quite a few times at Rick's in Kzoo back in the early 90's before they hit it big. They used to run a projection camera and have images flashing on a screen behind them. It was so MTV. :shades: I also saw them when they had a band called Water 4 The Pool (I think it was called). Brian VanderArk was still the singer, but some of the other band members were different.

Archived