Interesting & Famous people

snoogit

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when i make my first million i'm going to margarita grill. :huh:

When I make my first million, I'm going to Arby's, and ordering not one, but 2 Roast Beef sandwiches with curly fries.

I know that the guitarist for the Verve Pipe was still working at Guitar Center on 28th st. as of two years ago. My guess is more for a hobby, but who knows?

Bill Lear lived in Grand Rapids for a while. He is famous for the Lear Jet, but maybe more importantly, he invented the car radio and the 8-track tape player. He named his daughter Shanda Lear.

Wasn't it Bill Lear who finally admitted, upon his deathbed or near the end of his life, to cutting down that giant tree at the end of the old runway, at the old GR airport? The tree that all the pilots (Lear himself) complained about, but which that old farmer wouldn't cut down?

Anyone else know or recall that story?

When I make my first million, I'm going to Arby's, and ordering not one, but 2 Roast Beef sandwiches with curly fries.

I know that the guitarist for the Verve Pipe was still working at Guitar Center on 28th st. as of two years ago. My guess is more for a hobby, but who knows?

Wasn't it Bill Lear who finally admitted, upon his deathbed or near the end of his life, to cutting down that giant tree at the end of the old runway, at the old GR airport? The tree that all the pilots (Lear himself) complained about, but which that old farmer wouldn't cut down?

Anyone else know or recall that story?

Here's the old airport. Maybe the tree was at the south (bottom) end of the long runway.

Notice how that runway crosses 44th Street at the bottom of the image. They would actually close the road when a plane landed.

That runway is now Roger B. Chaffee Boulevard.

GrandRapids_MI_68.jpg

Why no mention of Suzanne Geha? She left once and came back.

Lot Vaught of Kentwood is a former NBA player. Terry Barr former NFL running back. Just about the entire Mayweather family in boxing. Tony Tucker former heavyweight boxer that nearly beat Mike Tyson in his prime. Buster Mathis a former boxer who fought in the days of Ali, Frazier and Foreman. Gary Hogeboom and Ray Bentley former NFL players. Paul Grasmanis of Notre Dame retired from the Philadelphia Eagles a year or two ago. Dave Rosema and Mickey Stanley with the Tigers. Paul Assemacher with many MLB teams.

There are probably another half dozen former NFL players from here.

Arnold Gingrich founder of Esquire magazine.

Kim Zimmer of TV soap opera fame.

How about Buck Barry? Wasn't he famous somewhere else other then GR?

Wait.. Mustard Plug is more widely known? I thought they were just another local band =p (shows how much i keep up with whatever-genre-they-are)

Not GR, but one of the actors from I Dream of Jeanie was from Muskegon, as well as the very first actor to perform a stunt on film was also from Muskegon. (I believe it was the classic home facade falling with an open window allowing the person to remain safe stunt)

It's not GR, but L. Frank Baum had a cottage near Lake Michigan in Holland. He spent summers in Holland with great-grandfather and later on, he brought his family during the summer.

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is heavily influenced by the town, including the former cobblestone streets of downtown Holland.

It's not GR, but L. Frank Baum had a cottage near Lake Michigan in Holland. He spent summers in Holland with great-grandfather and later on, he brought his family during the summer.

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is heavily influenced by the town, including the former cobblestone streets of downtown Holland.

If you venture down the lighthouse side of the Holland beach, the cottages look a bit reminiscent of Munchkinland in the movie.

Speaking of Jilian Anderson, I was gradeschool chums with her little sister and my mother knew her mother. Very down to earth people.

In terms of famous people, as a graduate of Grand Rapids Central HS, I follow in the footsteps of Former First Lade Betty Ford, Apollo 1 Atronaut Roger B. Chaffee, and Tiger great Dave Rozema.

Ram-Nation class of '02! lol

Archived