Interesting & Famous people

snoogit

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't recall if anyone has listed world-class skateboarder Josh Kalis. I met him last night at the BMW Car Club of America national convention. He has a 1,000 HP BMW M5 that was on display.

Also, I read in a brochure from a convention that is in town this week that Judy Garland was born in Grand Rapids. I had never heard that before so I Googled it. Judy Garland was born in Grand Rapids, Minnestota. :whistling:

Ah...the M5, close to my dream car the M3! Complete stealth - looks like a regular BMW, drives like a bat outta h*ll, even the the Ms that haven't been modded out like this one are super quick. If you have the means (which I don't at the moment) I highly recommend you pick one up!

Ah...the M5, close to my dream car the M3! Complete stealth - looks like a regular BMW, drives like a bat outta h*ll, even the the Ms that haven't been modded out like this one are super quick. If you have the means (which I don't at the moment) I highly recommend you pick one up!

Friday from 10 AM until 1 PM the national BMW car club is having a concours car show at Riverside Park. The factory brought a new M6 and a new M-Roadster that I assume will be on display. There will be many other M cars.

There is a very rare M1 in Grand Rapids that may show up.

Friday from 10 AM until 1 PM the national BMW car club is having a concours car show at Riverside Park. The factory brought a new M6 and a new M-Roadster that I assume will be on display. There will be many other M cars.

There is a very rare M1 in Grand Rapids that may show up.

I may need to sneek out at lunch and take a peak! Thanks for the tip!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not necessarily a famous personality, but some noteworthy trivia:

The Frank Lloyd Wright designed Meyer-May home on Madison was built back near the start of the 1900's for the founder of the now defunct May's clothing store chain in Michigan. What many people do not know is that FLW also designed some special store display cabinets for May that he used in his store on Monroe Ave across from the Pantlind (what is now the surface lot on the corner). What makes this interesting is that these cabinets were designed to accomodate a very, very new (at the time) method of displaying clothing - on hangars!!! And these wooden clothing hangars were developed by a little company out in Zeeland by the name of Batts. Prior to this time, clothing was always displayed in stores by folding it and placing it on shelves.

I know all this because I was part of the production team that filmed the documentary of the Meyer-May restoration by Steelcase bck in the late 80's. I'm not sure if they are still part of their resource library, but the house may still have photos of May standing near these special display cases in his store. They were part of the huge pile of historical photos we uncovered in the course of the project. You can still take tours of this delightful example of Wright's early work. It remains one of the most accurate and thorough restorations of a Wright work anywhere.

Archived