Skyscrapers in parts of Hartford other than downtown

MadVlad

Having traveled all over the country and most of the Canadian cities, something I've noticed is that a grewat many of them have towers, usually residential that aren't located in "downtown". Now, we do have Park Place towers, they aren't specifically downtown, and I think that others could work. Putting a few along Windsor Street could work, more near Park Place Towers could work, or even alond western Park Street. What do you guys think?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having traveled all over the country and most of the Canadian cities, something I've noticed is that a grewat many of them have towers, usually residential that aren't located in "downtown". Now, we do have Park Place towers, they aren't specifically downtown, and I think that others could work. Putting a few along Windsor Street could work, more near Park Place Towers could work, or even alond western Park Street. What do you guys think?

I think those ideas would be great. The more development, the better, weather it be downtown or on the outskirts of downtown.

They could go just about anywhere. North Meadows, More in Asylum Hill and even the fringes of the North and South ends near Downtown. Don't get me started on the burbs, they could put a bunch in Downtown New Britain, the commercial areas of Windsor and even on the Burlin Tpk. I don't know what the problem is, people would rather sprawl with subdivision after subdivision I guess.

I don't know what the problem is, people would rather sprawl with subdivision after subdivision I guess.

The word "density" is a bad word here in southeastern CT... "regular people" are quoted all the time as being afraid of density, and favoring sprawl. They don't say "sprawl", they say "smaller, more reasonable development". Most people (the papers especially) think stuff like big boxes are exactly what each town should be looking to lure to add to the tax base. People are stupid.

Having towers in different parts of the city would be great. Problem is good luck getting it past the NIMBYs. We can't even get good sized tower on the edge of downtown without people in the neighborhoods complaining.

So springfeild has it's fair share of NIMBYS? You would think they would be excited about the city growing.

So springfeild has it's fair share of NIMBYS? You would think they would be excited about the city growing.

No I was talking about Hartford and people living close to Plaza Mayor complaining about the height of the planned towers. I'm a greater Hartford transplant and generally refer to Hartford as if I was a part of it. Springfield doesn't have anything going on that people would even get NIMBY about.

I have a question for whoever can answer it honestly....Do cities like Cincinnati, Des Moines, Boston, and others like it have NIMBY'S? More to the point, do their local officials make it a point to worry about what they have to complain about "this time" when deciding how to take action with proposals for the city they run? Why should we care what NIMBY's think? I know that they are citizens and therefore are supposedly allowed a voice in the matter, but all they ever do is beotch. ALL THE TIME! I know it's a bad example, due to the VERY big difference in size, but do you see NYC stopping construction of a skyscraper cause people are whining about the view?....HELL FREAKIN NO. Why should it be any different here in Hartford? An example is the Plaza Major proposal....I've heard some people argue against it because it will "ruin their view and change the landscape forever"....view of what? THERE'S NOTHING TO FREAKING VIEW except for an empty lot and the sky above it, which there is PLENTY of everyewhere else! I just don't understand why people have SUCH HUGE problems with advancement....it boggles my mind! These people know what it takes for a city to become better (constant Hartford Courant articles) and more successful, yet they complain about every single proposal....EVERY ONE! Do these people REALLY think that cities can exist without change? If not the case, why do they complain so damn much about proposals to make our city more desirable and continue to allow the few to determine the outcome of our city when we've ELECTED people to make these decisions? We may not have a high population compared to many other cities, but we certainly must have a higher population of beotchy people because everywhere I look someone's whining about something. It's like a twightlight zone for heavens sake! I think it's common knowledge that a proposal that EVERYONE likes does not exist, nor will it ever, however should we allow the few to deter us from possible greatness that will put Hartford on the map in a way other than being the city inbetween NYC and Boston? I love this state and it's cities, and I'm starting to get feed up with the lack of vision residents in Hartford have for the future. Officials in Hartford must realize by now that pleasing everyone just isn't in the cards, but does that mean holding off on building something? I say, NO!

I have a question for whoever can answer it honestly....Do cities like Cincinnati, Des Moines, Boston, and others like it have NIMBY'S? More to the point, do their local officials make it a point to worry about what they have to complain about "this time" when deciding how to take action with proposals for the city they run? Why should we care what NIMBY's think? I know that they are citizens and therefore are supposedly allowed a voice in the matter, but all they ever do is beotch. ALL THE TIME! I know it's a bad example, due to the VERY big difference in size, but do you see NYC stopping construction of a skyscraper cause people are whining about the view?....HELL FREAKIN NO. Why should it be any different here in Hartford? An example is the Plaza Major proposal....I've heard some people argue against it because it will "ruin their view and change the landscape forever"....view of what? THERE'S NOTHING TO FREAKING VIEW except for an empty lot and the sky above it, which there is PLENTY of everyewhere else! I just don't understand why people have SUCH HUGE problems with advancement....it boggles my mind! These people know what it takes for a city to become better (constant Hartford Courant articles) and more successful, yet they complain about every single proposal....EVERY ONE! Do these people REALLY think that cities can exist without change? If not the case, why do they complain so damn much about proposals to make our city more desirable and continue to allow the few to determine the outcome of our city when we've ELECTED people to make these decisions? We may not have a high population compared to many other cities, but we certainly must have a higher population of beotchy people because everywhere I look someone's whining about something. It's like a twightlight zone for heavens sake! I think it's common knowledge that a proposal that EVERYONE likes does not exist, nor will it ever, however should we allow the few to deter us from possible greatness that will put Hartford on the map in a way other than being the city inbetween NYC and Boston? I love this state and it's cities, and I'm starting to get feed up with the lack of vision residents in Hartford have for the future. Officials in Hartford must realize by now that pleasing everyone just isn't in the cards, but does that mean holding off on building something? I say, NO!

It's definately cultural. People in Atlanta love development, pretty much any development. Which can also mean fast tracking terrible developments as a disadvantage to having such a development crazy culture. That was my experience living there for 5 years. It not like that in CT or anywhere in New England. We are a backwards region in many regards and there is no nice way to say that. I do think we need to strike a balance, but that is where the problem lies. We want to listen to legitimate concerns, and then all of the BS ones comes out of the woodwork.

• 1 month later...

The Hartford Hospital area, while it has no skyscrapers of course, has somewhat of a skyline...

I could see mid-rises being built in West Hartford Center, Downtown New Britain, and other areas, but NIMBYS...man...

I was saying that the other day in a post somewhere. The small town mindset is killing us. We need to think like a major metro area becuase that's what we really are. I like to say there are still a bunch of pilgrims in CT. :rofl:

I can't get mad, too much energy. I just laugh at them.

I was saying that the other day in a post somewhere. The small town mindset is killing us. We need to think like a major metro area becuase that's what we really are. I like to say there are still a bunch of pilgrims in CT. :rofl:

I can't get mad, too much energy. I just laugh at them.

Wait. That's our biggest asset, our historical Yankee roots. Let's not kill it and become another Atlanta or Houston...

I personally see no need to high rises outside of downtown, and even IN downtown, there is no need for them, as there are plenty of bare spots with nothing at all built on them. Let's fill in all the holes before deciding we need to go up.

Skycrapers aren't particularly interesting anymore IMO. Walkable and liveable cities are.

Wait. That's our biggest asset, our historical Yankee roots. Let's not kill it and become another Atlanta or Houston...

I personally see no need to high rises outside of downtown, and even IN downtown, there is no need for them, as there are plenty of bare spots with nothing at all built on them. Let's fill in all the holes before deciding we need to go up.

Skycrapers aren't particularly interesting anymore IMO. Walkable and liveable cities are.

I'm not talking about only skyscrapers I mean generally scared of development, any development good or bad. However skysrapers are one example. Why no need for them? Towers are smart growth, it's an efficient way to house people vs sprawling out all over the place.

I'm not talking about only skyscrapers I mean generally scared of development, any development good or bad. However skysrapers are one example. Why no need for them? Towers are smart growth, it's an efficient way to house people vs sprawling out all over the place.

It may well be, but when we're talking about putting high rises in West Hartford Center, surely we're just trying to create another Dallas. West Hartford Center is in the periphery of Hartford, it should be kept as a New England village town center, not another central business district.

It may well be, but when we're talking about putting high rises in West Hartford Center, surely we're just trying to create another Dallas. West Hartford Center is in the periphery of Hartford, it should be kept as a New England village town center, not another central business district.

I understand where you're going but I have to disagree. Dallas is not the only city with built up and urban suburbs. Look at Boston. The fact is, in my opinion it would be logistically impossible to put all of the things I want to see in Greater Hartford in Downtown Hartford. That pretty much sums up my feelings.

Any word on the Park St towers? Is it still happening or are they in the revision stages still?

the park st towers are still in discussion. they are doing a revised plan and the highest i believe they will go is 8 story brownstones. they are afraid that the towers would overshadow the entrance to park st and it wouldnt fit with the buildings around them. park st is more walkable and they think that putting towers there woulld just block it and ppl wouldnt notice all the shops and family owned businesses down the street

I could see a cluster of highrise residential around Broad and Farmington.

One on Broad, another on Farmington flanking an esplanade leading toward the Capitol.

There is a surface parking lot at Cogswell and Asylum next to Morgan @ the Park. I would also like to see a highrise built above that underground garage between Farmington and Asylum Avenues.

I would like to see highrises built at the beginning of Park Street. It would help accentuate the gateway to that corridor from a distance.

A few highrises along a riverfront boulevard near the future ex-landfill.

I'd prefer buildings stay low on Park Street. It's a very European-looking street. Hopefully eventually it will be cleaned up, and will be a unique place for Hartford.

It is? I don't think you've been to Eurpoe then...

I'd prefer buildings stay low on Park Street. It's a very European-looking street. Hopefully eventually it will be cleaned up, and will be a unique place for Hartford.

They are cleaning it up now, but I think a few tall skyscrapers at the corner of the street, is not gonna hurt the areas charm.

It is? I don't think you've been to Eurpoe then...

I have actually.

Streets in Europe are very narrow, just like Park Street.

The people on the streets and the types of stores are not European-like at all, but the architecture and the design IS, and it's my favorite street in Hartford. And if we put high-rises up, it will ruin that unique effect. I hope they keep it low!

They are cleaning it up now, but I think a few tall skyscrapers at the corner of the street, is not gonna hurt the areas charm.

No, it would turn the street into a nightmare.

The street is already so narrow that sunlight barely hits it. Putting highrises up, especially at its eastern end, would completely restrict the sunlight and turn it into a very dark and dreary place.

In fact, if any urban planner approved such a plan like those towers, they clearly weren't paying attention in school.

Archived