Skyscrapers in parts of Hartford other than downtown

MadVlad

No, it would turn the street into a nightmare.

The street is already so narrow that sunlight barely hits it. Putting highrises up, especially at its eastern end, would completely restrict the sunlight and turn it into a very dark and dreary place.

In fact, if any urban planner approved such a plan like those towers, they clearly weren't paying attention in school.

Yeah, those 200ft towers really would have blocked out tons of sunlight... :rofl:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...According to the NIMBY's. 200ft tall "skyscrapers" aren't going to be blocking out much sunlight. That's ridiculous.

Listen, it's just not the place for a highrise. Park Street is one of the few streets that have retained alot of historical buildings and charm, and highrises will not create an appropriate gateway.

I compare this street to Blvd. St. Laurent in Montreal. The similarities are uncanny. But highrises would ruin the chance of having street festivals like this on a street that doesn't receive sunlight:

Boulevard_St_Laurent_Montreal_01_large.jpg

Here's its gateway from Ste Catherine, the Main Street of that area..

118579429_95a57b4ecc_m.jpg

To me the bottom line is that if we have too many NIMBYs to get 200' Tall Towers approved 2 blocks from the CBD, that's a huge obstactle to ever acheive truly urban growth here. It's a shame.

What did these NIMBY's have to say about this site during the several years or decades of neglect?

What did these NIMBY's have to say about this site during the several years or decades of neglect?

Um, pretty much the same sad song no one cares, no one want's to invest. Now some poeple from the Park St. neighborhood want to reinvest in their own community, and they get nothing but complaints. Amazing.

Two towers wouldn't block any sunlight, it's ridiculous. The city needs growth, it's a large city, big buildings will go up, it's the attitutde that we need to build small buildings for the sake of filling space that's killing this city. Besides, they didn't complain about the sunlight, they complained about the wind that the towers would cause. We all know the large fans that will be installed on the side of those buildings. Ridiculous.....

Two towers wouldn't block any sunlight, it's ridiculous. The city needs growth, it's a large city, big buildings will go up, it's the attitutde that we need to build small buildings for the sake of filling space that's killing this city. Besides, they didn't complain about the sunlight, they complained about the wind that the towers would cause. We all know the large fans that will be installed on the side of those buildings. Ridiculous.....

It is good old fashioned NIMBYism. Plain and simple. They don't want it for the sake of it being too big and thus it will bring about the end of the world!!! You know how NIMBYs think. :ph34r:

Also, I sincerely doubt the majority of Park Street residents have anything against the plan. The should have a referundum, I'm sure the Tower design would win.

It is good old fashioned NIMBYism. Plain and simple. They don't want it for the sake of it being too big and thus it will bring about the end of the world!!! You know how NIMBYs think. :ph34r:

On top of that, as Bill alluded to, these people didn't make so much as a peep during the decades that this lot has sat empty and ugly. If they are so concerned with the well being of Park Street, where have they been all these years? That's classic NIMBYism.

On top of that, as Bill alluded to, these people didn't make so much as a peep during the decades that this lot has sat empty and ugly. If they are so concerned with the well being of Park Street, where have they been all these years? That's classic NIMBYism.

I know the towers would fit more new residents with money than the townhouses can. I also bet more people would be willing to pay for those units IF and only IF they had highrise views. I could be wrong though. People may actually pay $250 and up to live in a townhome on Park St. I'll believe it when I see it, and I'm bullish on Hartford. I think the towers would be an easier sell for the target market.

To be truthful, both the lots on the Main/Park corners weren't empty. Until it had a fire a few years ago, the south corner had a large brick building that could have easily been rehabbed into nice apartments. It was boarded up for years though.....

NIMBYS always fear the worst, and that is why development stalls, and takes forever to get going. I say make the Park St towers tall, like the orginal plan.

that area around the south green looks to be full of potential though. some mixed use development on the vacant lots on the corner of park and main along with some filler in the ground level of the existing buildings would make that a pretty sweet area

For towers to work in various areas I think the best thing would be a light rail system that could connect various points of the metro region. I've noticed in cities where such a thing does exist, towers tend to congregate around lightrail stations. In my ideal vision of Hartford there would be mixed-use towers in downtown, along the riverfront of Hartford and East Hartford, some along the river in Windsor, some more in central New Britain. In Hartford itself there should be more around Pope Park, perhaps some North of 84 where that junkyard is. I think towers where half of the space is a tower and the other half is a set of 2-storey townhouses/shops is ideal.

The corner of Prospect and Farmington would be a great place for a residential tower. Or Sisson at the end of the I-84 off ramp

i dont think prospect and farmington would b a good spot. i live 3 streets up and it would b really outta place. i honestly think they should b concentrated around park place towers first.

Prospect and Farmington is the town line. It is also high ground. The views would be spectacular.

Farmington should be a high rise corridor like Peachtree Street in Atlanta or Central Ave in Phoenix.

I would keeep the blocks aorung the Twain House short. But the rest should be high rises.

Archived