Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

memphis born

Beale street landing

18 posts in this topic

Here's the story.

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/Editorial/...d.aspx?id=93328

Beale Street Landing will be much better than restoring the Cobblestones. Won't they just shift and collapse again? I was never really a fan of the landbridge and don't really like the idea of building towers that'll block the view from Tom Lee Park and the bluff. Beale Street Landing won't take anything away rather it'll add more to the experience. 2009 can't come soon enough :yahoo:

Here's the story.

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/Editorial/...d.aspx?id=93328

Beale Street Landing will be much better than restoring the Cobblestones. Won't they just shift and collapse again? I was never really a fan of the landbridge and don't really like the idea of building towers that'll block the view from Tom Lee Park and the bluff. Beale Street Landing won't take anything away rather it'll add more to the experience. 2009 can't come soon enough :yahoo:

Here's a great drawing

http://www.downtownmemphis.com/domain/deve...arprojectid=258

That's a great rendering, although the bump on what looks like Riverside Dr looks a bit awkward; I guess it's necessary though . . .

I think that bump is the ticketing/operations building which will include a small restaurant. That'll also probably be where people will get from the underground parking garage to the dock. Nice rendering! I was lurking around your companies website, http://www.2dimes.com and it seems like you guys do impressive work :) I really like the redevelopment of the Memphis Regional Chamber of Commerce building. Whens that supposed to be done, if not already?

I think that bump is the ticketing/operations building which will include a small restaurant. That'll also probably be where people will get from the underground parking garage to the dock. Nice rendering! I was lurking around your companies website, http://www.2dimes.com and it seems like you guys do impressive work :) I really like the redevelopment of the Memphis Regional Chamber of Commerce building. Whens that supposed to be done, if not already?

Thanks.

I haven't confirmed this, but last I heard, the relocation project was on hold. It was a fairly ambitious project.

Look for the announcement of another Memphis project next week that we'll be involved in.

Look for the announcement of another Memphis project next week that we'll be involved in.

Is it a new project or one we already know about? I hope its Riverbend. They'll probably want to bump up the PR campaign before the special session.

Is it a new project or one we already know about? I hope its Riverbend. They'll probably want to bump up the PR campaign before the special session.

Unless it's an existing future (One Beale or the north Main church tower) or new planned high-rise, I agree, I hope it's Riverbend, and I hope the MGM theme park is an actual amusement park and not a leisure park (although gaushell has nothing to do with the actual plans of amenities, as I understand it, just the visual/media pr campaigns).

^Yea it would be awesome to see One Beale and Beale St. Landing together in one rendering. One Beale is scheduled to be completed shortly after the Beale Landing.

This article brings up a good point.

http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/Content?oid=oid%3A18236

The part I disagree with is when the writer said that the parking garage at Fedex Forum was unneccessary and it seems to me that this guy is a member of the Grizzly-haters club. But is Beale St. Landing neccessary? There is no ferry service currently and none planned. Is it worth spending so much money for a service that only comes a couple of times a year? What will be the justification for the cost? The parking garage won't be enough. I think it would be a great idea for a cheap ferry service that goes from Tunica to Beale St. Landing and then continuing down the Wolf River. That'll keep activity at the dock high.

This article brings up a good point.

http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/Content?oid=oid%3A18236

The part I disagree with is when the writer said that the parking garage at Fedex Forum was unneccessary and it seems to me that this guy is a member of the Grizzly-haters club. But is Beale St. Landing neccessary? There is no ferry service currently and none planned. Is it worth spending so much money for a service that only comes a couple of times a year? What will be the justification for the cost? The parking garage won't be enough. I think it would be a great idea for a cheap ferry service that goes from Tunica to Beale St. Landing and then continuing down the Wolf River. That'll keep activity at the dock high.

I se were you are coming from bears, but what about attracting a ferry? would not beale street landing be helpful in landing one? do you think it we could attract a ferry without a project like this?

I se were you are coming from bears, but what about attracting a ferry? would not beale street landing be helpful in landing one? do you think it we could attract a ferry without a project like this?

I would think MATA would be responsible for planning a ferry and no plans have ever been discussed for any water based transit. If they want to put a ferry in, they'll have to start planning now with the cities the ferries will serve.

I would think MATA would be responsible for planning a ferry and no plans have ever been discussed for any water based transit. If they want to put a ferry in, they'll have to start planning now with the cities the ferries will serve.

Downtown, maybe Riverbend Crossing, and Tunica? Any places in Arkansas? Or north of Downtown?

Downtown, maybe Riverbend Crossing, and Tunica? Any places in Arkansas? Or north of Downtown?

No places in Arkansas I could think of except West Helena which is too far for MATA to cover. I looked at Google Earth and it seems like there is a facility for loading concrete thats about half a mile from some trailer parks and single family housing. Its not dense enough to have high ridership IMO. But Tunica and Riverbend are a no brainer. Come to think of it, there are no good stops along the Wolf River either so they probably shouldn't put a route down there.

No places in Arkansas I could think of except West Helena which is too far for MATA to cover. I looked at Google Earth and it seems like there is a facility for loading concrete thats about half a mile from some trailer parks and single family housing. Its not dense enough to have high ridership IMO. But Tunica and Riverbend are a no brainer. Come to think of it, there are no good stops along the Wolf River either so they probably shouldn't put a route down there.

I doubt that the river is wide enough, but the Wolf River does go all the way to Germantown and Collierville...a ferry service would be easier than light rail...