Gloucester

tombarnes

Gloucester County is on the northernmost edge of the Hampton Roads area.. The county seat, Gloucester, is contemplating a downtown project which could breathe new life into the village. While there are a few restaurants and shops, many of the buildings on the main street have not proven suitable for redevelopment. This project could add new life to the town. I lived in Gloucester for many years. It would be good to see better buildings being built there.

The Gazette-Journal

• 6 months later...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Villages of Gloucester

Local developer Bob Foster is promoting a $750m plan for a residential/retail development which will include a golf course. This will be off Route 17, not far from Gloucester Court House. The plan doesn't look too bad, though I'd still like to see more details.

The Villages of Gloucester

• 7 months later...

Timberneck Sold to Investors- Development Planned

Timberneck, aka Timberneck Hall, a 990 acre plantation on the York River in Gloucester County, has been sold by the Catlett family to investors who intend to develop the property into a high-end residential development. The main house will be restored and used as a sort of community center. I'm honestly reather sad to see this occur, as I think much of the character of Gloucester County has already been lost. This will only accelerate the inevitable winds of change.

The Gazette-Journal

• 3 weeks later...

I always loved Catlett Farm. I'm really upset that some crappy "upscale" houses will clutter its gracious fields. Timberneck Creek will look like a suburban filtration pond in a few years, Carmine Island will have a Holiday Inn Express on it, so sad :(

I really hope that they keep the house that awesome green color. I'm sure that it will be painted a safe white though.....

Archived