UNC Charlotte Football

I know I'm fighting a losing battle in an urban forum. But I have a feeling that people aren't going to "boycott" this like they did the arena. Or so they said they did. The citizens of Charlotte may pay for this stadium through state taxes, but I doubt the city of Charlotte itself will pay for it with the exception of assistance with infrastructure.

I can tell you now the city and the county taxpayers will not pay one dime on this project. It's got 0 priority and I can't believe that any council person in this county would vote for it. If the UNC trustees approve the stadium, then 100% of the money will have to come from the state and students.

With the political forces in the Charlotte area, there is no chance the area will fund a sports venue for UNCC. The next thing to be built is the baseball field and after that I do not think anything else has a chance of being built.

I wonder what the possibility of upgrading Memorial stadium would be? I'm rather opposed to building a new stadium for a team. Unlike most of the other football schools, there is not a huge population of UNCC students living on campus that would walk to games. I think it would be a better idea to look into other sites they could use (a deal with BofA) or something of the sort to get the best money out of the situation. And, like I said, since it is a cummuter school, people really do not mind driving that much futher intown. Also, with the light rail, you could pre-game at UNCC, take the light rail down, transfer to a midtown location, and stay wasted the entire time (this is college). I'd assume that we would not have a team, or a venue before light rail in in the NE starts up to some degree, so that would add an interesting thing to it.

You could also have CATS busses run express service from the campus to the venue. UNCC has very large commuter lots and decks for cars.

^ I think the Memorial Stadium redo has some merit (What are the plans for it anyway?) and it's right along the SE Corridor I think. Memorial has to be ready for either (1)a renovation or (2) the wrecking ball.

The income that the Virginia Tech football team brings is actually subsidizes the rest of the sports teams. It is the only sports program that actually makes money here.

Good point. But VT is a top notch FB program year in and year out since the early 90s, and I would guess you can only make the above claim for a handful of CFB programs. FB programs a very expensive (compared to any other sport) and they don't just start up and start paying for themselves right away. VT's Lane Stadium was built a number of years ago as well, so while they have renovated it recently (with PSL & booster revenue I think) they didn't have to build a new stadium from scratch as UNCC could potentially have to do.

Memorial Stadium is also only a 10-15 minute walk from the NE LRT (3/4 mi). While not great, would be fairly practical for college aged students taking the LRT from campus.

I would definitely want them to at least start their program at an existing facility in the system. Memorial seems to be a good fit as it is near their upcoming uptown campus in First Ward, is convenient to many more people within the city, and is a drain on the coffers of local government because it has no real tenant and is at risk for being sold off and torn down. It is a historic stadium with a skyline view and plenty of traffic capacity, unlike whatever could be built on campus.

It is a historic stadium with a skyline view and plenty of traffic capacity, unlike whatever could be built on campus.

While a stadium would definitely not be built the first year, it may someday nearby the school. One of the questions on the student vote was how far students would be willing to travel to get to games. With the lengths they travel to get to uptown every night, I'm sure that BoA or Memorial would still draw roughly about the same crowd. I somewhat agree with doing this in the long term only because of Charlotte's detachment from Charlotte would be reduced ever-so-minutely if games were hosted near uptown. And then after games, college students with a craving for alcohol after a win or a loss would flood uptown's bars and clubs. Free money for uptown.

And not to argue with you dub, but the proposed spot for the stadium has plenty of traffic capacity. It is less than a mile from two interstates (85/485) and campus is surrounded by four lane highways. On Saturdays traffic is a breeze in the UCity area. Heck, that stretch of Tryon was designed for capacity due to the Speedway and rush hour traffic.

I do agree with the skepticism that the money won't be there for a stadium (either from the city or the state). I believe the burden for these types of fun things often comes from private giving. While I do think football often helps a spirit of private giving, I am not as convinced as I was earlier in the thread that the instant creation of a team would provide an instant turnaround. It is a culture that builds over a long period of time.

Chapel Hill is a week or so away from hitting their 2 Billion dollar fundraising goal, almost a year ahead of schedule (that is $200M raised since I posted about about it 5 months ago on this thread: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...&pid=552374 ). But UNCC had a campaign just a couple years ago that only even tried for $100million total in fundraising. There is often a comparison to things built in Chapel Hill, but the fact is that most of the seed money comes privately. It is a key reason that the athletic fees are low in the chart above, despite having the most prolific athletic facilities.

I no longer believe football is the main tool the University should be looking to for increasing private and alumni support, but rather should be seen as an eventual possibility when private giving elevates to a point where it can fund the start-up costs of the program. That said, if the students really feel strongly enough to apply a fee back onto themselves for it, that is their prerogative. There are many entertainment items that students charge themselves for.

In a way, I actually kind of lament that in the modern world everything is created in an instant with millions upon millions of dollars. It would be nice if more things started small and built up over time. That is part of what drives me to want them to use an existing stadium.

Chapel Hill is a week or so away from hitting their 2 Billion dollar fundraising goal, almost a year ahead of schedule (that is $200M raised since I posted about about it 5 months ago

Actually it was just reached today with $100 million donation to the Morehead Scholarship program.

Just an update on the progress of the vote. In the first four days of the campus vote, 20% of the student population have already submitted their vote online through the SGA's website. That's sadly already more votes than any previous vote on campus including student body elections. Maybe the priorities of that fact are a bit off from what they should be, but it does show what is on the mind of students on campus. With another ten days to go, I'd imagine the vote will get close to 50% of the overall population as more people on campus start talking about their votes.

According to the CO, "UNC Charlotte trustees agreed today to let an advisory committee study what it would take to start football at the school, raising the hopes of many who want to see a Charlotte 49ers squad." While this is only an approval of a study for football, this is the furthest the "cause" has made it at the school.

Memorial Stadium is also only a 10-15 minute walk from the NE LRT (3/4 mi). While not great, would be fairly practical for college aged students taking the LRT from campus.

I would definitely want them to at least start their program at an existing facility in the system. Memorial seems to be a good fit as it is near their upcoming uptown campus in First Ward, is convenient to many more people within the city, and is a drain on the coffers of local government because it has no real tenant and is at risk for being sold off and torn down. It is a historic stadium with a skyline view and plenty of traffic capacity, unlike whatever could be built on campus.

There's a reason why students are being asked if they're willing to travel 10-15 miles to a football venue. My guess is Memorial Stadium is that reason. Dubois has acknowledged there is a plot in mind where a campus football stadium would be built. I see complaints of traffic but I'm a bit bewildered by them... don't forget what roads feed Lowes Motor Speedway and Verizon Ampitheater. It's not like we're talking about rural dirt roads feeding the campus.

Oh, and a light rail stop, if the NE line is built, will come onto the campus.

As for a stadium receiving funding, we know we're Charlotte and we don't expect a drop of money from the state. This is North Carolina we're talking about. Only if you're NCSU do you get public assistance for sports venues. ;)

There is a report in the paper today that says UNCC will have 35,000 students by 2020. In this period it will become a major research school rivaling the ones in the Eastern part of the state. They point they made however is the school does not have the money and resources being devoted to it to handle this kind of growth. So I don't see how ANY resources being re-directed towards football makes any sense at all.

I know it may not seem that way but those are independent issues.

When university officials refer to handling growth issues, those funds are anticipated to come from state funds and the endowment.

Neither of those two funding streams can (state) or will (endowment) ever be allowed to support football or any other athletic venture.se

Bear in mind that this will not be a top-notch program, no matter how nice the stadium is. This would never be anywhere near VT, let alone a major powerhouse like UGA or Texas. So any dreams of a super-hype-attracting program are wishful thinking. How many people are REALLY going to turn out to see UNCC play Binghamton?

So what is the point, then? If the only way to keep a team financially soluble is to invest "several decades" into its development, then isn't it pretty much a given that UNCC would be a doormat for the rest of our lives? And don't we all know that doormat teams have small fan followings and little national attention?

This proposal would seem more sound if it were made in 20 years, when (supposedly) there will be three times as many students on campus. But for now, this just seems like a distraction from the high-priority issues that already exist at UNCC.

So what is the point, then? If the only way to keep a team financially soluble is to invest "several decades" into its development, then isn't it pretty much a given that UNCC would be a doormat for the rest of our lives? And don't we all know that doormat teams have small fan followings and little national attention?

This proposal would seem more sound if it were made in 20 years, when (supposedly) there will be three times as many students on campus. But for now, this just seems like a distraction from the high-priority issues that already exist at UNCC.

Valid points, but it would also be a lot more expensive to build a stadium in 20 years. If we got a football team within 5 years, we could have some name recognition by 2027 I'm sure. And even though we may be the doormat, that could potentially change with bowl appearances and wins of coarse. It would definitely be a large investment, but would be an even larger investment 20 years from now. I'm hoping a big donor will step in with a sizable amount of money toward this, that would be ideal.

Just a quick little update on the football "cause" on campus. The student body vote has now reached 30% of students making it the largest vote in campus history. There are numerous articles jumping up on both the observer, university times, and nineronline both in support and against football at the school. Even though I am pro-football, I am glad that both sides are able to publish their opinions in order to get their messages out. The article spread I have been reading is about 50/50. While the 'side' of people again football provide more solid facts, those in favor are providing more hope in showcasing what has happened at other college campuses after new football programs have become a reality.

The official vote will not be closed until February 25th, but the true outcome of all this hoopla won't be known until next year when the Board of Trustee's football committee has come to a conclusion. Thus, even if all goes I personally hope it will, football at UNC Charlotte will not become a reality until at least Fall 2009.

Well gosh, if you have a vote that lasts for weeks, I don't see where that is much of an accomplishment. It sounds like people are voting if they happen to stumble upon the opportunity. Maybe if they made it last the rest of the school year they might get an even break 50%.

It's a two week vote, it has only been one week. You also have to remember that the percentage comes from the entire student population including people that take night classes, distance education, and internship programs which account for 10-15% of the student body. Compared to the highest student vote which includes student body president elections which I think has only exceeded 25% (election votes are normally only open for one week) a handful of times, 30% in one week isn't all that bad.

And they were. Now I know the rules on this board about copying and pasting, but these are poll results, so I see no other way. This information is taken directly from the link on UNCC's homepage and is available to anyone.

More than one out of every three students (38.6%) participated in the SGA Football Poll.

Highlights of the poll include:

* 22% of students voted in support of no fee increase

* 78% of students voted in support of a fee increase

* 52% of students voted in support of paying at least $200 per year

* 59% of students would attend 5 to 6 home games

*72% of students would travel more than 5 miles to attend home games

* 56% of students would travel more than 10 miles to attend home games

* 59% of students would be more interested in 49er Athletics as a result of football

* 12% of students would not consider attending football games after graduation

* 62% of students attended at least one college football game at another school last season.

This information has been presented to the Chancellor, Athletic Director, and the University Board of Trustees for their interpretations and knowledge of the official student opinion. As the administration moves forward in the consideration of adding a college football team to the Charlotte 49er Athletic Department, the results of this poll will be held as the definitive opinion of the student body for 2007.

The poll was conducted February 12th -25th.

The fact that 78% of the students voted in favor of paying extra fees to support a team goes along with the 3/4 majority that the Board of Trustees had originally said it would take to take the poll into consideration. They also set a goal of 25% turnout, the vote got 38.6% of the overall student population. So I feel that this poll will actually be taken into account.

Also, the Observer reported who would be on the board to study football at UNCC. I was a little surprised how many well known people from Charlotte's sport related industries were chosen: Mac Everett, Carl Scheer, Jeff Beaver, and Bill Hensley. The entire list and description of who everybody is and why they are on the board is in Sunday's O.

Given this was an online poll that lasted for weeks and that everyone attending UNCC is presumably well connected to the Internet, I find the fact that just a little more than 1/3 thought enough of the project to vote at all about it is damning enough that spending money on football at UNCC would be a complete waste of money. Supporters have been saying it would do a lot for bringing together the student body and I would contend how is that possible when 2/3rds of the student population doesn't even care enough about it to complete a simple on-line poll for it? It's like all the other claims made for sports at colleges, including the ones made in this thread, they are unsubstantiated and when put to the test as it was here, one finds that most people don't give a damn about football. They are going to UNCC to get an education, not to attend sports events.

If I was one of the organizers of this vote, I would do everything I could to hide the fact this vote shows the complete lack of interest in football at UNCC by the majority of the student population. Of course they are going to spin the results as something positive which was just done above, but anyone with any sense should conclude from these results that UNCC needs to put its priority on academic facilities and not a football team.