UNC Charlotte Football

One more point...the more successful the program the more high profile alumni= more money for the school. Also think of the revenue the school earns for bowl appearences. After a while the program pays for itself. College football isn't just about big dumb jocks it also gives young men a chance to go to college who otherwise couldn't. Also it does bring a community together. I for one would love to see the Charlotte skyline from a stadium on a Thursday night game...Now thats pub.

You might mean Bonnie Cone (Cone Center). From what I have gathered on campus she would always shoot down the idea of a football team because her son was paralyzed playing football (Never checked the story for accuracy). However, I believe it was last year that she passed away.

Bonnie Cone was never married, never had a son. She did pass away in 2003 and is buried on the campus that she loved right behind the Fretwell building.

As an alumni of the school, I would love to see a 49er football team; So what if we stink for the first couple of years...nothing beats a football game during the fall months! I'm not sure about the issue of starting in Division I or II; I think I remember reading something about how the chancellor did not want to start at DII. Who knows. Not sure why Charlotte controlls nearly $2 trillion in assets and can't find money anywhere. Some of you might be interested in looking at the NCAA Financial Reports Database to see how other schools fare with athletics.

University of Charlotte....Go Niners!!!

Apparently this topic has become hot in Charlotte due to the CO article. The web server for the Charlotte 49er Football site is down right now, maybe because of traffic. I know they were aiming for 1000 names before submitting everything; last I checked they had gotten up to 80 after a few days. I hope nothing stopped their website.

EDIT: They have now fixed the issue.

Edited by aussie luke

Apparently this topic has become hot in Charlotte due to the CO article. The web server for the Charlotte 49er Football site is down right now, maybe because of traffic. I know they were aiming for 1000 names before submitting everything; last I checked they had gotten up to 80 after a few days. I hope nothing stopped their website.

Luke, the site switched hosts (or servers, or something). The site should be back up for most. Thanks for the discussion - if any of you have feedback or ideas on how to spread the word please give us a shout - NinerNation.net, and again the site that we want people to visit - Charlotte49erFootball.com, .

Go Niners!

Edited by Vern9r

It's a gut feel from living here for almost 30 years and being an alumni of the school.

Met, it's that kind of attitude that some people have that is what's keeping this from happening. If everybody stopped doubting things all the time, it would work out better for the school's reputation and, thus, the reputation of its alumni.

If the school's name becomes more popular, it will make the city of Charlotte that much more appealing. A lot of people move to cities based on their level of primary and higher education status. I say somebody just donate a cool couple of million to the school and get this thing off the ground.

Edited by aussie luke

Forgive me if this is completely false information, but I heard a long time ago that Clay Aiken, recent alumni, offered to donate money to the school on the condition they build a stadium. Anybody know if there is any truth to this?

Forgive me if this is completely false information, but I heard a long time ago that Clay Aiken, recent alumni, offered to donate money to the school on the condition they build a stadium. Anybody know if there is any truth to this?

That's the first I heard about this, but I'll ask around.

Just to address one thing posted earlier: A lot of people don't fully understand Title IX. It's not the barrier people think it is. Title IX does not require dollar for dollar spending on men's and women's athletics. What it requires is equal numbers of scholarships and comparable facilties. So if Charlotte needed $8 million to kick start football, the real figure isn't $16 million, but probably $10 million to pay for the extra scholarships and reasonable facilities for the new women's sports that would have to be added. In summary, Title IX is about equal facilities and scholarships, not absolute dollars.

The parcel at the corner of Harris and 49 is owned by the State of NC. It's ID is 04931112 if anyone wants to look it up on the Mecklenburg GIS. Personally I was thinking land along US 29 that's currently undeveloped near where the future light rail will stop on campus would be preferable. Other alternatives included trying to acquire land or a land swap near the rec. soccer fields on Mallard Creek Church Rd.

One last FYI, the past UNC Charlotte administration supposedly was prepared to study football at UNC Charlotte but blamed the post 9/11 environment on tableing the discussion. And for this grassroots drive that's going on now, I know a lot of the people involved in it. They're not simply going to go away or be discouraged this time.

The parcel at the corner of Harris and 49 is owned by the State of NC. It's ID is 04931112 if anyone wants to look it up on the Mecklenburg GIS. Personally I was thinking land along US 29 that's currently undeveloped near where the future light rail will stop on campus would be preferable. Other alternatives included trying to acquire land or a land swap near the rec. soccer fields on Mallard Creek Church Rd.

I believe that most of 29 is already planned for the Charlotte Research Institute campus and the corner of MCC Rd and 29 is planned to have a shopping center.

We should form a march. We should get the word out and one weekend all organize on campus with our pro-49er football signs and set up shop in front of the Chancellor's house (maybe not, probably somewhere else on campus). We could also make this a fund raising event. If this got big enough maybe one of the local news stations would cover it, get some recognition from viewers and they could make a contribution. I'm just kinda talkin' out of the side of my neck but I would be down to contribute somehow to make a football team a reality.

I believe that most of 29 is already planned for the Charlotte Research Institute campus and the corner of MCC Rd and 29 is planned to have a shopping center.

The plot at 29 and MCC just went back up for sale. It's on the market again. I was actually talking about opposite that behind the gas station where the City has the soccer fields along the greenway. I can see why people would balk at that option. There were also a couple of people who said the Martin Marietta quary was going to go on the market eventually, but I don't see how that would be feasible for a stadium. Personally I've never looked at the property.

As for th 29 where the Charlotte Research Institute will go, that's only going to be 10ish buildings in a semi-circle. There's property to the north and northeast that would still accomodate a football stadium.

Regardless of exactly where, there is land available that the university currently owns. The barrier is solely money at the moment.

I'm glad to see the overall positive tone of the thread. We want this effort to be embraced by the community as a whole, not just the alumni of UNC Charlotte. For too long we think the university and the city have been isolated from each other, not just physically (by the nature of the campus) but also idealogically. With the overall success of the Tire/Muffler Bowl I think the city would embrace local D1 football on Saturdays in the fall.

The plot at 29 and MCC just went back up for sale. It's on the market again. I was actually talking about opposite that behind the gas station where the City has the soccer fields along the greenway. I can see why people would balk at that option. There were also a couple of people who said the Martin Marietta quary was going to go on the market eventually, but I don't see how that would be feasible for a stadium. Personally I've never looked at the property.

As for th 29 where the Charlotte Research Institute will go, that's only going to be 10ish buildings in a semi-circle. There's property to the north and northeast that would still accomodate a football stadium.

I noticed that for sale sign on that corner today, I'm a little upset about that, but I doubt it would have been anything special anyway. The only issue with putting the stadium there or where those soccer fields are is that either would place four neighborhoods between campus and the stadium. I can't see that being a good thing for students walking back to their dorms from games. Also, the greenway runs through both those areas.

As for the CRI, it will have 17 buildings, seven of which will front Tryon followed by another row of seven behind that (two of which already exist,) and then a few more skewed off towards the main campus. The two buildings that exist now will have buildings between them and 29 according to the 2007 plan.

Despite where or if they eventually build the stadium, I'm glad to see that there is a buzz about this again. I had a few friends who were at SOAR (Charlotte's freshmen orientation) tell me that counselors and staff were talking about a football team actually being started within their term at Charlotte. If that were the case, it would mean football within the next four years. While I'd like to see it sooner, I'm glad it may finally happen.

• 2 months later...

For those of you that do not get the Observer, there's an article today on the movement. Check it out and if you haven't made a pledge, please do.

There article is online at Charlotte Observer

The Initiative's site at Charlotte 49er Football has been updated and will be updated throughout the coming days and weeks. We expect to begin selling merchandise to increase the promotions and publicity very soon.

Any way you can help is appreciated!

I've come to the conclusion that spending millions of dollars on a football team would be at the least, irresponsible. Funding per student is much below what it should be, thank you North Carolina, and many new facilities for learning and research are necessary - especially in the high-tech fields.

Actually, I can't think of any more inappropriate way to spend our funds than starting a football team. Getting smart students to enroll, and helping them develop their minds doesn't require a football team. Helping students maxamize their potential should be the goal of the university - not hosting big parties at the taxpayer's (and tuition payer's) expense.

If private schools want to have football teams, fine, but for a public school to spend millions on such a program would be simply outrageous. Atheletics have their place, but in no way are the benefits worth several hundred million dollars.

* This coming from a student of the university.

Edited by moonshield

Then why do so many schools country-wide have football, basketball, and baseball programs? If it was such a waste, don't you think they would've stopped by now? It may cost a lot to run a team, but that's the point behind corporate sponsorships and advertising. A lot of that funding on an annual basis can be covered also by parking, merchandise, concessions, and ticket sales for the games. Put it this way, if it is financially viable for Pembroke to start a new football program, how can it not be for Charlotte?

This is also a great way for Charlotte, the city, to help put itself even more on the map. Carolina Panthers doesn't really do that so well because of its ambiguous name. Go ask my mom which city the New England Patriots play in. She can't tell you, nor can most people around here that aren't football fans. Naming gives publicity and a little extra vanity to the city. The more the name gets out, the more people will want to either visit the university or attend it. Before actually signing my life into UNCC, I swore I would never go there because it had the appearance of just being a small commuter school. I realized it wasn

I've come to the conclusion that spending millions of dollars on a football team would be at the least, irresponsible. Funding per student is much below what it should be, thank you North Carolina, and many new facilities for learning and research are necessary - especially in the high-tech fields.

Actually, I can't think of any more inappropriate way to spend our funds than starting a football team. Getting smart students to enroll, and helping them develop their minds doesn't require a football team. Helping students maxamize their potential should be the goal of the university - not hosting big parties at the taxpayer's (and tuition payer's) expense.

If private schools want to have football teams, fine, but for a public school to spend millions on such a program would be simply outrageous. Atheletics have their place, but in no way are the benefits worth several hundred million dollars.

* This coming from a student of the university.

I agree with you 100 percent. That website alone should be reason enough to spend the money to promote academics at UNCC instead of football. It's full of gramatical errors.

For me, it comes down to the notion that alumni do not support UNCC enough financially. Its endowment is low, its fundraising goals are low, and thus the university and its alumni are often very concerned about the state funding. It IS a zero sum game between football and academics if it is to come out of the state subsidies and tuition proceeds.

I think that the notion of football at UNCC should be shelved until enough alumni pay for it.

If you want something at your school, compaign for people to send them money to do so. Otherwise, you can't rightly expect that it will happen.

While the 2000 bond money helps to pay for basic campus infrastructure, and the state subsidies help to pay for the basics of education, it is the private giving and endowment that provide for the extras. I've seen demands for green buildings, better architecture, football, more graduate programs, greater reputation for academics. Those luxuries won't come to a school as large as UNCC unless there is very considerable private donations to fund extraordinary things.

I want to see UNCC succeed, but I don't plan to support it financially as I have no personal ties to it. (I support my alma mater in Chapel Hill). It is the alumni of UNCC that must take the leadership position on donations to make these things happen. And taking advantage of programs that most employers have to match donations.

Maybe it is just the relatively young age of UNCC that is keeping its donation revenue low, as not as many alumni are dead (when most people finally give away their money). Duke and Chapel Hill have had many years behind them for their alumni to croak. So I'd expect a big bump for UNCC (and all universities) in giving when boomers start dying in larger numbers. Okay, this has gotten bleak, let me change course.

So, I'd say, keep the campaign for football, but please, DuBois, do not fund it with any current revenues. Instead, create an alumni giving campaign to save up for a program. Plan to play at BofA stadium or Memorial Stadium until there is enough private money for a stadium on campus. Please pursue a quintupling your endowment so that better things can come to the university without relying on fickle state legislators that don't like Charlotte.

I did not go to UNCC for "image". I went there because it represented a very good value for the education received and for someone such as myself, who was paying for everything, this was a very important reason for going to that school. I graduated from there with honors and because of it, I got multiple job offers from a number of fortune 100 companies. The school's lack of a football team, which I consider a benefit, had absolutely no effect on my education or where I ended up in life. It's my guess that it is a small minority of people who want to bring football to that school, and my advice to these people is go find a party school if that is what is most important thing to you about college.

So, while bragging about how well you did in college, how much fun did you have? What memories do you have? What kinds of clubs were you a part of? If we had a football team, would you have gone to the games? Would you have enjoyed them? Would you have been happy we had a team? And no, that's not an attack on you, just a point.

This may be a little repetitive to my post on the UNC-RM thread, but college is not just about education. Yes, I know, that is the ultimate goal, to strive to be all you can be to earn a 4.0 in your degree. While the end result may be the same, I believe college serves two true purposes. First, education, obviously. Second, it shapes the individual.

I believe modern day independence is formed by college. A lot of people (but not all) that I know that didn't go off to college still rely on their parents to this day. It helps you learn how to cut the umbilical cord and manage to survive in the real world. College, and its many multicultural advantages, provides you with opportunities you will never have again. It's the reason why my name on here is "aussie." If not for the exchange program, I would've never gotten to go to college in Australia. Students who want to be well rounded don't just focus on their classes. There are many clubs, frats, sororities, etc that provide students with a means for them to make a difference in both their lives and the lives of others. Sports organizations are another form of this. So while college is important from the education standpoint, it's also important for helping to find out who you really are. So, in a way, parties and clubs and sporting events are a critical way of finding new friends, finding out more about yourself, and exposing you to things you may not have been familiar with which could shape your overall view on life.

So, yes, a football game is an important thing to have both culturally and socially. It draws in large crowds to the city, stimulating the local economy at least a little; it creates a means for students, faculty, and alumni to gather for a common goal, cheering on the team; it helps, in that matter, shape a community. As stated before, a basketball game is just a basketball game, a football game is an event.

So, while bragging about how well you did in college, how much fun did you have? What memories do you have? What kinds of clubs were you a part of? If we had a football team, would you have gone to the games? Would you have enjoyed them? Would you have been happy we had a team? And no, that's not an attack on you, just a point.

I had already lived on my own 2-3 several and had a large number of social ties to people in Charlotte not involved in the school so the idea of going to a college football game would have seemed a bit juvenile to me at the time. I would not have bothered with it. I got an EE degree and that left very little time for going out and getting drunk and acting like I was still in highschool. When I did find the time to go out, it would have been in the more adult atmosphere within Charlotte itself. I was not alone in this BTW.

Again, I am not putting down anyone either, but I think of college as an ends to a means based on the peopleI met at UNCC many others feel this way as welll,... especially those who have taken a few years off to experience life right after highschool. For that lot, the highchool level antics of frat houses, college sports, and the like have already ceased to be important. Considering the memories and the things that I got involved with prior to college but after I moved out from my parents home, I think I got the better end of the deal. I had already been to highschool, no need to extend it 4 more years. Many people disagree with this, and as I said earlier, go find a party school if that is what you need to do.

I'm not certain that having a football program and being a party school are one in the same, but I won't comment any more on that.

One thing that is important to consider, and I think metro was pointing out is that running a football program (at least at the Division 1 level) is very expensive, and considering that UNCC would be starting from scratch, would probably be a drain on the university budget for several years. Without a significant level of support from alumni, I doubt it would be in the best interest to pursue.

I'm ready for Niner football. More importantly, though, I'm ready for the thousands of alumni to begin supporting UNCC, period. I'm ready for sports bars in Charlotte to have 49er banners, not just Duke and Chapel Hill. I'm ready to see alumni wearing t-shirts that say UNC-Charlotte when they go to Home Depot, Lowe's, Harris Teeter, Festival in the Park, rock concerts, etc. I'm ready to see Belk, Wal-Mart, Dillard's, Target, and Dick's selling aparrel that says "University of North Carolina at CHARLOTTE", instead of USC, UNC, Duke, and Wake Forest, Clemson and Appalachian. My God, Dick's even had Western Carolina crap, but not one UNCC shirt, hat, or shorts.

You can't tell me there are more 30-something Chapel Hill graduates here than there are UNCC grads. Yet all I see when I'm out and about is Carolina Blue. Our alumni just don't seem to give a damn.

Edited by Miesian Corners

.... Our alumni just don't seem to give a damn.....

Or could it be that most of them have gotten their education and have moved on in their lives and don't need to wave around their school colors for the rest of their lives? It's not clear to me that UNCC is suffering because it does not have a football team and because of it the alumni doesn't care about the school.

Or could it be that most of them have gotten their education and have moved on in their lives and don't need to wave around their school colors for the rest of their lives? It's not clear to me that UNCC is suffering because it does not have a football team and because of it the alumni doesn't care about the school.
Tell that to Hugh McColl, metro. I saw him at Home Depot on Wendover last week wearing a UNC cap. It is very clear that UNCC is suffering because of no alumi support. It has a dismal endowment when compared to other UNC-system schools.