UNC Charlotte Football

Came across an interesting piece regarding the Sun Belt Conference that includes UNC Charlotte probably being a part of it.

The Sun Belt Conference After the Dominoes Fall

I'd rather not have football than have the school spend money to play in that conference. The most likely thing for Charlotte is going to the CAA and moving up if/when some of the other CAA programs move up to FBS.

Also, ECU will not be in the Big East. Neither will Florida Atlantic or Florida International, although I could see UCF getting an invitation. Greenville offers little to the Big East and they have tried everything to get into the B.E. without receiving any of the actual benefits of being in the B.E. except the opportunity to play a stronger conference schedule. They asked to be a football only member who did not share any of the bowl game revenues if other BE teams were to make a bowl game. The Big East ignored them.

For Charlotte, I hope it's Big East or bust. Any other option will be detrimental to their basketball program which finally appears to be back on the rise after 4 down seasons. Although they do not have the established fan base that ECU has, it is one of the largest TV markets that does not house a FBS level football program.

• 2 weeks later...

Hasn't hit the news stations yet, but the Board of Governors approved the fee hike. This was the very last hurdle for Charlotte football. I imagine facility construction will begin soon so that it is finished in time for the inaugural season in 2012.

Although the school hasn't commented on it yet, I imagine Mike Minter will be the first coach. He's been campaigning for it pretty hard and already has assistants lined up that he'd like to work with. He said whatever the school would pay for a head coach, he would donate half back to the school. I don't think you'll get that offer from anyone else.

I think it would be beneficial to get UNCC in the same conference as ECU and/or ASU (if they do indeed move to FBS). Having an instant in-state rivalry is good regardless of what conference it's in.

I'll note that they didn't mention the in the bleacher report that UNCC could have a "regional matchup" with USC... particularly with USC being the closest FBS school to Charlotte. Any FBS match-ups should be played at BofA Stadium until UNCC has the capacity of larger programs.

I'll note that they didn't mention the in the bleacher report that UNCC could have a "regional matchup" with USC... particularly with USC being the closest FBS school to Charlotte. Any FBS match-ups should be played at BofA Stadium until UNCC has the capacity of larger programs.

To continue your point but hurt the idea of using BoAS though, Charlotte really is surrounded by a LOT of FBS schools within a ~2hr drive: NCSU, UNCCH, Duke, Wake, Clemson, USC, and even include ASU now that they are eying FBS more seriously. I'm sure they'd love an easy W (let's face the inevitability of the program's first few years) early in the season with minimal travel costs. In terms of exposure, playing South Carolina would definitely give Charlotte the best bang for their buck.

Edited by aussie luke

• 3 months later...

UNC Charlotte hasn't made any "official" announcements on the stadium, however, they did release a document with estimated costs of the project. It can be found on the facilities area of the school's site. Here is a little tidbit for those interested:

Project Description:

The new facility will consist of an approximately 44,000 square foot Field House Building with locker facilities, training facilities, weight room facilities, video facilities, academic center, and administration facilities; stadium seating; Concourse Facilities with toilets, food service, retail, and public services; and Press and Hospitality facilities. Also, included are 2 practice fields and a playing field. The construction of the Football Complex will displace existing Recreation Fields 8 & 9. Pre-construction services may also include the relocation of these fields.

Project Budget: $45,300,000

EDIT: and a sidenote, for those that feel that money shouldn't be going to this program over education, here are the budgets for four other major projects the school is funding:

Energy Production Infrastructure Center: $76,218,000

Student Union: $65,100,000

Center City Building: $50,409,870

Residence Hall Phase IX: $39,100,000

Edited by aussie luke

UNC Charlotte hasn't made any "official" announcements on the stadium, however, they did release a document with estimated costs of the project. It can be found on the facilities area of the school's site. Here is a little tidbit for those interested:

EDIT: and a sidenote, for those that feel that money shouldn't be going to this program over education, here are the budgets for four other major projects the school is funding:

Energy Production Infrastructure Center: $76,218,000

Student Union: $65,100,000

Center City Building: $50,409,870

Residence Hall Phase IX: $39,100,000

There's a lot of angst over those expenses as well. I can name you several other upgrades, including the current extraction of brick along a sidewalk because it had a few little waves in it.

It's obviously about ego trips and exposure for many people, and football is the culmination of that. I'd argue that before trying to gain all this national exposure and publicity that UNCC do something radical about their logos and mascots. The 49ers belong in California!! Gold was discovered here in 1799 at Reeds. Highway 49? What the heck does 49 have to do with UNCC? All that money spent around town on fancy billboards: "Stake your claim" with a gold miner depicted. What hogwash.

Count me as one of those against football, and the above decorations you posted, but before UNCC goes any further, for heaven's sake, get an identity.

It's obviously about ego trips and exposure for many people, and football is the culmination of that. I'd argue that before trying to gain all this national exposure and publicity that UNCC do something radical about their logos and mascots. The 49ers belong in California!! Gold was discovered here in 1799 at Reeds. Highway 49? What the heck does 49 have to do with UNCC? All that money spent around town on fancy billboards: "Stake your claim" with a gold miner depicted. What hogwash.

Count me as one of those against football, and the above decorations you posted, but before UNCC goes any further, for heaven's sake, get an identity.

I don't know about your statements of ego trips, but I think you should read up on your local history a little before making such false generalities as declaring the area has nothing to do with gold or 49ers!

The first verified gold find in the U.S. was in the Charlotte area in the late 1790's early 1800's. Feel free to go to the Mint Museum and see their exhibit space on the original Mint building and the small gold rush in the Carolinas.

As for the 49, it is a date of great importance to the university and is very much part of it's identity. That is the year the the three year-old original campus which was at the time simply a satellite for the state system offering evening courses to WW II vets was closed by the state and subsequently taken over by the city and named Charlotte College. Though the 1946 date is the founding of the campus, the 1949 date is when the Charlotte campus truly was born as a full college to all and thus why alumni call themselves "49ers".

You're free to state that you don't like the logos or University marketing campaign (I'm not exactly in love with it myself - though it has grown on me) but don't claim that the symbols in them are hogwash as you are incorrect and are doing a disservice to the history of Charlotte and the university.

Edited by Urbanity

thumbs-up.jpg

I don't know about your statements of ego trips, but I think you should read up on your local history a little before making such false generalities as declaring the area has nothing to do with gold or 49ers!

The first verified gold find in the U.S. was in the Charlotte area in the late 1790's early 1800's. Feel free to go to the Mint Museum and see their exhibit space on the original Mint building and the small gold rush in the Carolinas.

As for the 49, it is a date of great importance to the university and is very much part of it's identity. That is the year the the three year-old original campus which was at the time simply a satellite for the state system offering evening courses to WW II vets was closed by the state and subsequently taken over by the city and named Charlotte College. Though the 1946 date is the founding of the campus, the 1949 date is when the Charlotte campus truly was born as a full college to all and thus why alumni call themselves "49ers".

You're free to state that you don't like the logos or University marketing campaign (I'm not exactly in love with it myself - though it has grown on me) but don't claim that the symbols in them are hogwash as you are incorrect and are doing a disservice to the history of Charlotte and the university.

Re-read my note. Did I not say gold was discovered at Reed's in 1799?

Okay, UNCC became a college in 1949. That's an important date for UNCC history; however, what does that have to do with the gold rush of 1849 in California? Don't conflate the two.

Re-read my note. Did I not say gold was discovered at Reed's in 1799?

Okay, UNCC became a college in 1949. That's an important date for UNCC history; however, what does that have to do with the gold rush of 1849 in California? Don't conflate the two.

I read your original note just fine. You seem to be the one confusing the gold rush of 1849 in California with the gold rush here in Charlotte and the usage of "49ers" for the university. Neither the university (nor I in my posts ) are trying to make any justification for using 1849 gold rush in California for UNC Charlotte.

If you understand that that the first gold rush in the U.S. was here and you understand the importance of the 49er date then I just don't get why you have a problem with the campus using those items in their identity, mascots or marketing.

Again, you're free to disagree with the style of it or suggest an alternative for mascots and marketing purposes, but you are just dead wrong claiming that it not part of both the region's and the university identity.

Edited by Urbanity

Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2010 4:57 PM

Subject: 49er football update

Hello all:

Several people have emailed today to get the update on football so I thought I would send one email to everyone.

Last week the Senate approved the bill that included financing for our football program. We worked hard this week to ensure that the Mecklenburg delegation and other UNC Charlotte friends in the House were prepared to advocate for 49er Football in the House. We even called in the reserves - Judy Rose, and yes, David Dunn took time away from his new busy corporate job to return to Raleigh to testify on behalf of the football project if necessary. Today the bill appeared in the House Finance committee. This morning the bill passed with a unanimous vote!

Next week the bill will move to the House floor for approval. Once that happens the Governor will have 30 days to sign the bill into law. So in short football will be official in about 30 days.

So as the Chancellor said this morning… break out the champagne, but put it on ice. We're almost there!

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Go Niners!

Edna

• 2 weeks later...

NCGA just (tonight) had their third reading and vote on S 1154 which was the bill authorizing the financing for football. It has passed and is off to the Governor who is expected to sign.

Charlotte is one small step* away from officially having a football program! Go 49ers!yahoo.gif

*Small step does not include the hiring of staff, building of facilities and organizing a team.blush.gif

Edited by Urbanity

2013. Coaches hired in 2011, first recruiting class in 2012. First year recruits all redshirt and play their first year in 2013 with 4 years of eligibility remaining.

I imagine dirt will begin to move this fall. Maybe not on the stadium, but certainly on the facilities that will house the coaches and training centers for the players.

• 3 weeks later...

No Charlotte, nooooooooooooo! :stop: Why are they still sticking with this same motif that has neutered the rest of the campus lately? Please make this more modern, pleeeease. While the sides and back of the student union are the same drab architecture as the rest of the new campus, the front is much more modern looking. Why couldn't they have done the same with this building on at least the side facing the field? I am so thoroughly disappointed in my alma mater at the moment. Way to sterilize football too...

That said, I personally hate football fields with a building at one endzone. Granted that if this stadium is ever expanded, I should hope it would be one of the first things to go. However, it does look like they provided a ton of room for expansion to the stadium down the road in the horseshoe.

EDIT: On second glance, these may just be placeholder renderings (crosses fingers) the Observer has a slightly different rendering of the field with a different perspective and slightly different buildings:

49ersstadium.embedded.prod_affiliate.138.jpg

Edited by aussie luke

• 3 weeks later...

Charlotte has scheduled it's first football game. By first, I mean the first game that has signed a contract, not necessarily the first game of the first season. The Niners will be playing Morehead State of Kentucky.

They're a non-scholarship team, so it should be a W.

I imagine Charlotte will follow the model of Old Dominion from their first season and play a weak schedule. It looks better from a PR perspective to have a winning record against scrubs than finish your first season 2-10 playing legit competition.

• 5 weeks later...