UNC Charlotte Football

I really wanted to see the first game, but tickets are going are going for upwards of $200. Even for later games, I can't find a price for less than $90/ticket. I am happy that they are in such demand, but I wish I could see the first game live instead of on TV. I guess I waited too long to buy...

I really wanted to see the first game, but tickets are going are going for upwards of $200. Even for later games, I can't find a price for less than $90/ticket. I am happy that they are in such demand, but I wish I could see the first game live instead of on TV. I guess I waited too long to buy...

Single game tickets have not yet gone on sale.

There will only be single game tickets available if the student allotment is not completely take though, which I imagine it will be.

5000 seats are for PSL holders. 1500/2500 season tickets were sold in addition to that (can't remember which). The rest go to students and the visiting team. Your best bet would be to call Campbell's ticket office and see if there are any tickets available through their box office for the first game.

I think you'll be able to get some scalped tickets for well under $200/game. The people listing right now think they can get that for them, but I seriously doubt it.

I'm about as big of a 49er fan as there is and even I don't think the market is there for $200 tickets. I think $100/ticket is about the upper threshold for what someone would be willing to pay to see us play Campbell, even if it is the first game in program history.

You might also want to consider checking out http://ninernation.net and asking if anyone has any tickets they'd be willing to sell. It's a longshot, but you never know.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I know we weren't playing a great team today, but the 49ers really showed up! Amazing to have a 52-7 win for the inaugural game. And both the defense and offense were impressive. I really was excited to just watch the game, but never thought that the team's first game would go THIS well. Great job, 49ers!

Very interesting to look back at this thread to see opinions from when this was just a thought and goal in the mind of 15 alums and students to the game yesterday.

It has truly been an experience that I'm honored to have been a small part of.

Most of the original 15 alums and students that founded the group called the Charlotte Football Initiative post on NinerNation.Net and have over time become friends of mine. Although the school has pretty much erased their role in starting the whole process that lead to yesterday, we all tailgated together yesterday morning knowing that without the hard work and persistence of a select few, yesterday never would have happened. For all Niners, yesterday was a great day, but for us, it was really special.

Here is the pre-game toast from one of the founders of the Charlotte Football Initiative, Rob Dibble:

Rob is also the owner of the Normbulance, the premier 49er tailgating vehicle.

1175485_10101105729531254_408878580_n.jp

• Like 1

^ Not sure if I ever posted a thought I had recently, it was certainly influenced by some good beers, but, the thought has always been there - any city or place probably owes it existence to the persistence and dreams of just a few individuals (luck not withstanding).  I hope that with the effort that produced a football program comes interest and growth of the university, and a "correction" of the direction that this area of the city is taking.

Awesome game...  A question for those more knowledgable than me.  Why is UNCC not named the University of Charlotte?  The UNC system has several schools that are not UNC at Some City.  To me it seems that it would provide clarity to the general public and give the school a better self identity.

I did undergraduate studies at UMass Lowell and constantly have to make the clarification that I didn't study in Amherst.  While UMass Lowell is a satellite campus of UMass UNCC is it's own university and in my experience people tend to think less of the non-main campuses.

In the early years of the university, having the UNC helped lend credibility to the school. Now there is a growing number of people that want to see the name changed.

McCrory even said when interviewed after the game that he refers to the university as the University of Charlotte.

The current chancellor has made it clear that he will not address changing the name while he is in control, however. He's getting old though, so he'll probably retire in a few years. I definitely think we'll see the name changed eventually.

In the early years of the university, having the UNC helped lend credibility to the school. Now there is a growing number of people that want to see the name changed.

McCrory even said when interviewed after the game that he refers to the university as the University of Charlotte.

The current chancellor has made it clear that he will not address changing the name while he is in control, however. He's getting old though, so he'll probably retire in a few years. I definitely think we'll see the name changed eventually.

I saw that about McCrory - which is interesting because that signals that there would be some state level support of the name change if it was pushed.

Do people want to create the perception of a link between the "University of Charlotte" and "Charlotte School of Law"?

I do not think that is the impetus for a name change. The idea was floated before there was a Charlotte School of Law. However, I do think it would be good for both the law school and the university if they did merge. The university would benefit from having a large, turn-key law school rather than having to build one from scratch. Similarly, the law school would benefit from the assimilation into a state institution and the credibility that comes with it rather than being a for-profit school and relegated to the lowest tier in the eyes of the law community. I am not saying its a bad school, just that it will likely always be considered a low tier institution as long as it is "for-profit".

To the larger point of a name change, I think the chancellor should be mindful of the community pride that would likely swell as a result of the change. We have recently seen just how important a name can be with the soon-to-be Hornets. It has been a resounding success already, so successful that one of the teams executives stated that in just the few short months since the announcement the team has almost recouped the entire cost of the multi-million dollar change because of the renewed fan and sponsor interest. I think UNCC could gain much of the same interest, and now with the football team, I think UNCC could step out of the shadow of UNCCH and form a regional identity whereby we begin to see more and more 49er gear and less Carolina, Duke, and NC State gear.

I will caveat all this by saying that moving to change the name must absolutely have the support of the alumni. The Hornets name change was relatively easy because the stakeholders in that change were invested insomuch as they could monetarily afford. A diploma is much more than just a monetary investment. It is a life investment. It is one of only a handful of documents I would ever care to save from a fire. If the alumni who invested themselves in the university think the name is best left as is, so as to match the diploma on the wall, then I would say it should be kept as UNCC.

Edited by cltbwimob

After the first couple years of operation, the Charlotte School of Law was doing very poorly financially and had informal discussions with the university to buy them. My old roommate was the student body president and sat in on some of the meetings where it was discussed.

Ultimately, they ended up lowering their admission standards to get more students in the doors (they'll now let almost anyone in) so they could bring more money into the program. A friend of mine that was in one of the earlier classes said many of the professors have left because of this. They had a pretty legit staff in there initially because they were paying great wages to professors and it was supposed to be a quality institution, but then they went the direction of pretty much every other for-profit higher educational institution.

I tried to Google this for an answer, but came up with nothing. What exactly does the current chancellor have AGAINST changing the name? I just don't see how having it seem like a UNC prefix to the name is beneficial. If anything, it just causes confusion and sort of knocks the university down a tier in my opinion. I graduated from there, and when I tell people in other states that I went there, they seem to ignore the last "C" and just assume that I went to Chapel Hill. "Oh, the Tarheels. You guys have a great basketball team." Then I have to explain that I went to a different school.

^Honestly I don't think the Chancellor is actively against it so much as it is not something he is pursuing or even sees the merit of studying.  Maybe that results in passively being against, but I never seen him  making much ado about it either way.

I personally believe it is going to happen and it will only be a matter of time, but I don't it will get much momentum with the current Chancellor for reasons already stated.

EDIT:

So I did some searching and found a few articles from the 2010 UNC Charlotte Student Government Association exploration of the issue

The one in the Daily Tar Heel had this sentence:  UNC-C Chancellor Philip Dubois said in a statement he believes the school’s name should stay the same.

Double EDIT:   Found this 2003 forum posting of an article (Assume Observer) of McCrory pushing for renaming of University.

Edited by Urbanity

I tried to Google this for an answer, but came up with nothing. What exactly does the current chancellor have AGAINST changing the name? I just don't see how having it seem like a UNC prefix to the name is beneficial. If anything, it just causes confusion and sort of knocks the university down a tier in my opinion. I graduated from there, and when I tell people in other states that I went there, they seem to ignore the last "C" and just assume that I went to Chapel Hill. "Oh, the Tarheels. You guys have a great basketball team." Then I have to explain that I went to a different school.

This is a point I made in my original query.  Having attended UMass Lowell not Umass (Amherst) I always have to clarify when the subject comes up and it's not just annoying it, like you said, knocks the school down a tier (despite Lowell's CS program being superior- at the time at least).

If UNCC's football program begins to get national attention the school will always be the "at Charlotte" school not UNC.

Edited by Vassago

He says it is positive to have the UNC associated with our school name.

I'm sure his opinion is based more on not stepping on any toes though.

He said when he started that he was not going to address football, but alums forced that upon him. I am grateful that he went along with it instead of shutting it down from the start.

I think we'll see a push for name change when we get a new chancellor.

The best way to avoid what I bolded from happening is just tell people you went to Charlotte. I've never gotten a puzzled look from telling anyone that. You will never hear me refer to the school as UNCC.

is this not a bottom line kind of issue, as in, how much does it cost to do something seemingly minor like change a school name?  I would guess that it is expensive, and then add in the NCAA/licensing issues to that since it did not happen BEFORE the university gained a football team.

Yeah, and this is in regards to the University that wants a city to change their transit line name and colors to Green.  I'm sorry - what were you saying about costs again?

/sarcasm

• Like 1

is this not a bottom line kind of issue, as in, how much does it cost to do something seemingly minor like change a school name?  I would guess that it is expensive, and then add in the NCAA/licensing issues to that since it did not happen BEFORE the university gained a football team.

The school estimated it would be 2-3 million I believe.

ANother hurdle is the domain. Educational institutions cannot have more than one .edu address at a time, so changing to charlotte.edu would not be possible without giving up the uncc.edu domain. This could cause all sorts of website issues at first.

Yeah, and this is in regards to the University that wants a city to change their transit line name and colors to Green.  I'm sorry - what were you saying about costs again?

/sarcasm

I hadn't even considered this. 

I think Dr. Dubois has done some good things at the school, but he seems to have very little intuition when it comes to brand identity.  He thinks that having UNC as part of the name lends credibility to the university whereas most think it sounds like a satellite campus of UNCCH and tend to confuse the two.  He  thinks that the blue line should be renamed the green line, but only the half from downtown to (UNC)C not realizing that single transit lines posses a single color for the purpose of eliminating confusion.  He really seems to espouse identity crises.

Maybe the city should offer a one for one swap, the city supports renaming the (entire) blue line as the green line in exchange for the Chancellor's support of renaming the university to University of Charlotte.

In the college sports world, UNC-Charlotte is only ever referred to as the "Charlotte 49ers". I can't recall the last time I've heard "UNCC 49ers" used. The media, both local and nationally has done a good job of keeping that consistent. Would be great to see the name change (we love our name changes here don't we?) for the university. UNCC always sounds like a branch of Chapel Hill, which it is not...