UNC Charlotte Football

38-22 good guys. Pretty dominating win. 7-5 is a hell of a start for 1st year Will Healy. This guy is the real deal and is going to take this program places. Master facility plan is going to release expansion plans soon too. The momentum and buzz is not only local but national media is picking up on the team and coach (young dabo-esque). Sports is a powerful marketing tool, add in bowl eligibility and one of the hottest up and coming young coaches in college football - this is attracting great publicity for both the university and the city. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 2

Such a good game last night.  First winning season and bowl eligible.  Some are predicting that the 49ers will play in the Belk Bowl.  How cool is it that a team that has basically been on the fringes of the Charlotte sports scene essentially since it’s inception is now getting more of the local attention it needs and will possibly play its first bowl game in its own home town?

Last year at this time I was kind of disappointed when UNCC rescinded Mike Houston’s offer for the head coaching job and hired Will Healy instead.  It felt kind of like we had missed a real opportunity.  Looking back on it now, I am glad Houston went to ECU and took his 4-8 season with him.  Will Healy is the man, and I can’t imagine to what heights the program may go especially if he has a few more seasons like this season, he’s able to bring his own recruits in, and the stadium and facilities get a proper upfit/expansion fit for an FBS team.  I can see a day where the annual App State-University of Charlotte football rivalry game is the hottest ticket in college football for the state of North Carolina.

• Like 2

Such a good game last night.  First winning season and bowl eligible.  Some are predicting that the 49ers will play in the Belk Bowl.  How cool is it that a team that has basically been on the fringes of the Charlotte sports scene essentially since it’s inception is now getting more of the local attention it needs and will possibly play its first bowl game in its own home town?
Last year at this time I was kind of disappointed when UNCC rescinded Mike Houston’s offer for the head coaching job and hired Will Healy instead.  It felt kind of like we had missed a real opportunity.  Looking back on it now, I am glad Houston went to ECU and took his 4-8 season with him.  Will Healy is the man, and I can’t imagine to what heights the program may go especially if he has a few more seasons like this season, he’s able to bring his own recruits in, and the stadium and facilities get a proper upfit/expansion fit for an FBS team.  I can see a day where the annual App State-University of Charlotte football rivalry game is the hottest ticket in college football for the state of North Carolina.

While on a local level a CLT-App game would be awesome. I’d rather see a rivalry develop with NC State or another SEC/ACC team to help the program get more recognition on a national level.

I’d love to see a day when Charlotte earns a place in one of the Power 5 conferences.
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Great story about how #ClubLit got started and this city needs to get behind this team too since the majority of UNCC grads live in the area.  I remember when there was resistance to a Division 1 football team here.  (and this team is called CHARLOTTE)   Go #CharLit do the QC proud today! 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28283431/how-charlotte-healy-created-club-lit-biggest-party-college-football

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2019 at 12:39 PM, KJHburg said:

and when anyone in the sports media talks about UNCC they just say Charlotte not CHA or University of NC just Charlotte.   Almost like they talk about the University of Houston.   

Perhaps you already know this, but I think this was a marketing decision made by former AD Judy Rose. The sports teams would be known simply as "Charlotte".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

The official re-brand reveal is today at 12:49.  

The launch of our new brand identity signals our rush to excellence. This moment allows us to reaffirm what is most important to us - our student athletes, coaches, teams, and dedicated supporters such as yourselves, our University - and the inspiration to dream, compete, and achieve.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Carpe Diem said:

What ya think about the new logo?

https://boldrush.com/ crashed. LOL.  Not sure if I like the Bold Rush.

#BoldRush is just the marketing for the rebrand (temporary i think).  They still use their main one, #GoldStandard.  But the new logo is simplified, will be easier to produce for merch, and I think the CLT tie in is huge.   New bball court design, football field, jerseys, etc...I like it!  I've always been a fan of block letters in sports and I think this is a step in the right direction for brand recognition (along with winning of course). 

1.png.eef0a682f3b3c27732c8452dccb24186.png

2.png.c13e27b3c8ef1b191197323456139440.png

3.png.a0c227c84a184932d5b6e854f6d9a6c8.png

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Carpe Diem said:

On FB Niners, people are not happy and so much disagreements over this new one and the old one.  I support Niners either way but the logo doesn't have the "it" or missing something.

I think the measurements in the pick axe in the C maybe could have been adjusted a little, but overall pretty happy with the changes.  With any rebrand, it's going to take time to adapt and adjust to the new logos/colors/etc.  People are going to love it, hate it, or be indifferent.  People were like that with the Panthers & Hornets during their brand revision/update.  People will get used to it...and at the end of the day, fans just want to win.  Winning solves a lot of issues.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I think the measurements in the pick axe in the C maybe could have been adjusted a little, but overall pretty happy with the changes.  With any rebrand, it's going to take time to adapt and adjust to the new logos/colors/etc.  People are going to love it, hate it, or be indifferent.  People were like that with the Panthers & Hornets during their brand revision/update.  People will get used to it...and at the end of the day, fans just want to win.  Winning solves a lot of issues.

Agreed. I think the concept is fine, but I feel like it needed another round of refinement on the spacing and dimensions. In the tshirt design, for example, something just isn't working with the "LT."

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I don't really follow 49ers football so I have no opinions here, but this was tucked into an Athletic article on the Tennessee coaching search:

Another Group of 5 coach who may end up on the Vols’ radar is Charlotte’s Will Healy. The 35-year-old Chattanooga native won the Eddie Robinson Award and the Ohio Valley Conference coach of the year award for his amazing work in-state at Austin Peay. He parlayed that into the job at Charlotte, where he’s 9-10 in two seasons at a place that had won just 12 games in the previous four seasons. Whether Healy is ready for this job at this point in his career is a question, but this coaching search could get pretty unwieldy.

(that was everything that was said about Healy)

I hope Healy has enough sense to avoid the dumpster fire that is Big Orange football.

I think the Vols should hire Lane Kiffin.

Edited by kermit
  • Haha 2

• 10 months later...
16 minutes ago, allthingsplanes said:

So does anyone here think Will Healy should be fired?  I do but am not sure who Charlotte would go after next that would be a better coach...

Don't think he does, but he needs to clean house of his assistants (esp on the defensive side of things).  I can tell you, this process is already underway.