UNC Charlotte Football

3 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Don't think he does, but he needs to clean house of his assistants (esp on the defensive side of things).  I can tell you, this process is already underway.  

I hope so.  I was really hopeful they'd keep advancing this year and be ready for the AAC.  It seems like things mostly fell apart as the season went on.

47 minutes ago, allthingsplanes said:

I hope so.  I was really hopeful they'd keep advancing this year and be ready for the AAC.  It seems like things mostly fell apart as the season went on.

Yup, starting 4-2 to the season and not being able to get to six wins for bowl eligibility is a massive disappointment.  Our defense was very very bad to say the least.   I think his initial problem was that he hired friends and sometimes those kind of coaches aren't always the best fit for the program or they don't check all the boxes of what kind of assistant coaches Healy really needs to have to be successful here.  Gotta get the big boy pants on by the time we join AAC so I hope Healy hires some solid assistant coaches.

Update: More to come I would imagine as well:

971444047_Screenshot2021-11-29111802.png.0f0a840ad12ef6bbd669d2486a4cc4b7.png

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Don't want to pretend that rankings mean much this time of the year, but I thought this was worth preserving. Things can only get better from here (and at least Charlotte is not coached by Brian Kelly).

(and Go Dawgs!).

https://theathletic.com/3568656/2022/09/06/college-football-rankings-georgia-week-1/

image.png.b3a7e6a646acbc8e52d159e97ea42801.png

Edited by kermit
  • Haha 3

Unfortunately feel like the end is coming for Will Healy..  Two big losses, one to an FCS school where Charlotte didn't look competitive. 
Now a schedule of Maryland, Georgia St (recently good) and South Carolina..  Could get ugly.  

7% chance of winning against SC lol
  • Sad 2

• 1 month later...

So in the wasteland that is football in Charlotte Will Healy was fired today.

From the Athletic on the Charlotte job:

Despite very little program history, Charlotte was invited to the American Athletic Conference amid last year’s realignment because of its potential. It’s in a major city and a state with a lot of high school talent. It has an on-campus stadium and plans for more investment. Charlotte believes it could be the next UCF or Houston.

But a move to the AAC means an increase in competition, especially with schools that spend a lot more — including SMU, Memphis and fellow impending arrivals from C-USA in UAB and UTSA. Charlotte is still behind in a lot of program infrastructure aspects like staffing and amenities, and that won’t get better overnight.

Names in the mix per the Athletic (this is quite a laundry list):

Houston Texas offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton is a Charlotte native who has been in the mix for college head coaching jobs for years.

Miami (Fla.) offensive coordinator Josh Gattis was a candidate for this job the last time it opened in 2018.

Alabama tight ends coach Joe Cox is a Charlotte native who spent 2021 on Healy’s staff before getting hired by Saban.

Campbell head coach Mike Minter is a former Carolina Panthers player who has led the Campbell Fighting Camels in North Carolina for the past 10 years.

If Charlotte wants an experienced hand, Skip Holtz could be an option.

North Carolina defensive coordinator Gene Chizik would be another coach with a lot of experience, and multiple people in the industry think he’d be interested.

NC State offensive coordinator Tim Beck helped quarterback Devin Leary develop into an NFL Draft prospect, before a season-ending injury this year.

Could former UAB head coach Bill Clark be an option?

Los Angeles Chargers wide receivers coach Chris Beatty has been in the mix for college head coaching jobs in recent years and knows the region.

Please god, not Chizik!

Edited by kermit

• 2 months later...

And today the Athletic has a story on Group of 5 portal winners and losers:

Winner: Charlotte. New head coach Biff Poggi has 20 scholarship additions in his transfer class, including 15 Power 5 players. The highlights come on the defensive line, with notable additions like Maryland defensive lineman Austin Fontaine, Jackson State defensive lineman KaTron Evans, Ole Miss edge rusher Demon Clowney and Notre Dame edge rusher Osita Ekwonu. Most notably, On3 credits with Charlotte with 36 total transfers, and 14 of those once played at St. Frances High School in Baltimore, where Poggi coached from 2017 to 2020. Don’t be surprised if there are more coming, too.

https://theathletic.com/4116878/2023/01/23/college-football-transfer-portal-realignment-g5/

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

well this game should draw a lot of fans across NC to Charlotte.  From Axios this morning.

""The Charlotte 49ers play the Appalachian State Mountaineers in the 2025 Duke's Mayo Classic college football game on Aug. 28 at Bank of America Stadium, Axios' Ashley Mahoney writes.

Why it matters: This is the first time the Charlotte 49ers will play at Bank of America Stadium. The hometown team's also seeking their first win against the Mountaineers, whom they've lost to three times.

Flashback: Charlotte and App State met for the first time in 2018 at Charlotte's Jerry Richardson Stadium, which holds just over 15,000.

The 49ers added temporary seating to accommodate the demand for tickets. The game drew 19,151 fans.""

• Like 4