Considering Relocation

markusparkus

I currently live in the Atlanta area with my boyfriend who is from Arizona but has several friends and family in Michigan. I've visited both states and have found them to be very beautiful and nice. Though Arizona is far away from my family here in Georgia. I know I'll miss the greenery that is provided in the east and midwest and it's a fact that the cost of living is lower in Michigan that it is in the west. Any advice you guys could give me on what the right decision would be (Arizona or Michigan) and if so, where would be the best place for two gay men to live...who aren't really into the "gay scene"?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the major factors you need to look at is whether you need a job. Michigan's economy is hurting pretty bad right now, and there are not a whole ton of jobs outside of the skilled trades areas.

There are several gay communities that do not present themselves with the whole "scene" thing. I personally know a few gay couples that live in Hamtramck, and they have had nothing but good things to say about the gay community in that area.

While Michigan is hurting as a whole, it is still possible to find employment in Metro Detroit. I'd recommend giving it a try if you are able to. Michigan and Detroit are unique places. That's not to say Arizona isn't, but it seems as if everyone and their brother is moving there...sorta like a fad, and fads aren't unique, IMO.

I don't mean to judge, but I'd encourage looking into Michigan. If you don't like it, you can always move...and admitedly probably find it easy to do so.

Also, don't just limit yourself to Detroit. Grand Rapids and areas on the West Coast are also great places to live if you are looking for that cultural, diverse community in which to live.

Michigan and Arizona are completely different. I've personally had enough of perpetually hot weather and sprawl without borders. If you know little about the Detroit area, I suggest looking into Ferndale and Ann Arbor despite not being into the scene.

I haven't really noticed any areas in metro Detroit that are not gay friendly any more. I live in an area called Downriver and there are lots of gay couples, male and female, that live and shop around here.

I haven't noticed anyone getting hassled about it. I think same sex couples are maybe more accepted in society today than interracial couples are...and that is not as taboo as it was a few years ago.

I'm partial to Michigan, but then I 've never been to Arizona.

I suggest you follow your heart, where ever it may lead you...mine hasn't failed me yet.

Best wishes...

Archived