The Future

JWCJ

I made this poll and forum to see how we think Shockoe Bottom and slip will look and be and the future and from future ideas and building projects coming to this area. Shockoe bottom bussiness are almost all open after Tropical storm Gaston swamped Richmond with 14 inches of rain in about 5 hours. Now its time to see what we see as the Bottom and the Slips future. Do we think it will be swamped again or will it become a great place to party, live, and have fun?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It just may get swamped today if the weather report is accurate. 2 to 6 inches of rain are forecast.

And HAVANA 59 just reopened a couple of weeks ago, not to mention all the other rehabilitation that has taken place in The Bottom since Gaston. I hope the city has done something about drainage problems in the last year or so.

So far no problems. The city has cleaned out everything and there's no more than regular ponding.

People always talk about flooding there, but they forget the water doesn't just come from the rain that falls on the bottom, most of the water that Gaston dropped came rushing from the hills and further up both valleys. People forget that for some reason. It's nowhere near as bad. Now as for Washington, if we had that, it could be something of a repeat but I think that since the city has dedicated time to cleaning out the gutters and the arch, rain may be handled better.

So far no problems. The city has cleaned out everything and there's no more than regular ponding.

People always talk about flooding there, but they forget the water doesn't just come from the rain that falls on the bottom, most of the water that Gaston dropped came rushing from the hills and further up both valleys. People forget that for some reason. It's nowhere near as bad. Now as for Washington, if we had that, it could be something of a repeat but I think that since the city has dedicated time to cleaning out the gutters and the arch, rain may be handled better.

I hope you're right Cadeho. Though the odds are pretty slim of getting another event like Gaston anytime soon, I would hate to see the Bottom get hit again after it's finally back on its feet. I was really hoping that the City was going to do more than just clean the "gutters" but perhaps it will make a difference.

Went out to the Bottom last Saturday night and it was packed! Hit up McCormack's and then Element. Met a couple guys from DC who were down for the race and they were pretty impressed with the club scene here. They said they had no idea Richmond had a place like Shockoe Bottom. :D

ric75, is ELEMENT a popular club?

Did you peek into HAVANA 59? Was it doing good business?

Do you think Richmond is going to be "over-clubbed" with all the new venues planned?

And what do you know about THE CAMEL on West Broad between Lombardy and Allen Avenue?

LAst time I went by Havana 59', it was packed.

ohh did I ever mention that I ate at that PAPA NINGO'S Dominican restaurant in Shockoe Bottom? We had dinner, so not sure about the lunch buffet, but dinner was fantastic. Very small and intimate space, but very affordable and you get plenty of food for what you pay for.The kitchen was a little slow, and the service could have been a little nicer, but overall, the food definitely made up for it.

burt,

Element seems to be doing very well these days after a slow start. They have a nice set up inside and it's definitely considered one of the more upscale clubs in the area. I haven't been by Havana '59 since it re-opened so I couldn't tell you about the crowds there. It's great to see the marquee lit up though. It brightens up that stretch of street.

As far as being overclubbed I really couldn't say but IMHO, the fact that all these clubs are opening suggests there's a demand for them. With so many clubs/restaurants in the Riverfront area, the Slip, and the Bottom I think downtown will become more a destination for suburbanites that may have preferred to go out to their favorite strip-mall establishment. Losing the Spaghetti Works lot doesn't seem to have had any effect. The pay lots are now full in that area showing people are willing to pay a few bucks to be a part of the party scene. I think we can also expect more out-of-towners down there as well especially once the Hilton opens, drawing more conventions into town. Also don't forget Jamestown 2007. Richmond should be getting a bigger outside reputation soon that has nothing to do with crime. That's my hope anyway!

• 1 month later...

The shockoe bottom comittee said that they are going to make the future shockoe bottom comittee out of the people who live and work in the bottom ans slip. They also said that this would help issue important to the area get done and be addressed.

Just yesterday the mayor and the comittee were out cleaning up the bottom by picking up trash, filling pot holes, and and cleaning storm drains.

I think that this comittee made up of the people of shockoe bottom will help boost tourism, and economy for the bottom and slip. This is a great development.

• 3 weeks later...

Another flood comes to the bottom again flooding the street, damaging cars and flooding the floors of bussinesses in the bottom. What can be done to stop this problem. Can we make them there own drainage system and build a new one, distroy the bottom and make it a creek like it was 200 years ago, or should we do something else?

And what about the bussinesses I think some may leave the area and move to downtown or short pump.

• 2 weeks later...

I highly doubt that the people in the Bottom would jump to Short Pump. They chose the Bottom because it offers things that bland suburbia can't.

I agree with you coupe. The Bottom and Short Pump are two totally different markets.

No Burt, we like to bang rocks and play with twigs. Of course this is a market but businesses with their all-mighty formulas probably based on 1950s philosophies shun thousands of people who actually want to buy an I-pod or dvd player. Maybe they have cell phones but hey, where's the closest Cingular? Near Libbie and Broad. I'm about to research billboards on this side of town advertising Sheetz, Wawa, and Dunkin' Doughnuts (which I swear reads to southbound traffic on 95 an Ashland address) where these stores don't even exist. I need to confirm that. But Burt, next time you're in Richmond, instead of heading to the posh side of town, head to the black side... the black referring to "blackedout." Maybe you need to see what's actually going on over here. The perception to anyone not from here is that it's all wilderness and "underpopulated." Maybe they don't even study the east because they see all the gold at the end of Short Pump's rainbow.

No Burt, we like to bang rocks and play with twigs. Of course this is a market but businesses with their all-mighty formulas probably based on 1950s philosophies shun thousands of people who actually want to buy an I-pod or dvd player. Maybe they have cell phones but hey, where's the closest Cingular? Near Libbie and Broad. I'm about to research billboards on this side of town advertising Sheetz, Wawa, and Dunkin' Doughnuts (which I swear reads to southbound traffic on 95 an Ashland address) where these stores don't even exist. I need to confirm that. But Burt, next time you're in Richmond, instead of heading to the posh side of town, head to the black side... the black referring to "blackedout." Maybe you need to see what's actually going on over here. The perception to anyone not from here is that it's all wilderness and "underpopulated." Maybe they don't even study the east because they see all the gold at the end of Short Pump's rainbow.

...also the crime rate in Short Pump is not as high as east of Downtown. Crime does play a significant role with how the market is dictated.

Cam, you'd be surprised how deep I venture alone into East Richmond on my infrequent trips. I go into Union Hill, up to Jefferson Hill Park, down 25th Street, Venable Street and out Nine Mile Road. I check out the old Robinson and East End theatres. Up Chimboraza Blvd to the cemetery and even thru the projects. And yeah, it's kind of scary, but I'm always bouyed by improvements I see.

I just wish some residents of the area would find the chutzpa and business acumen to bring in appliance stores and amenities of which you say they are deprived. Look at those empty old malls on Mechanicsville Tpk. Why aren't they teeming with stores, cinemas, restaurants? At one time, they were thriving. Why do you suppose they were abandoned?

Haha "Chimboraza" :lol:

They were probably abandoned as places like Virginia Center Commons took over and Henrico decided to focus on everything west of the C&O line, particularly west of the RF&P line.

But no Burt... we don't deserve anything. There's a good reason everything is out west and all those in power know better than I do, so I withdrawl all my arguments for downtown, Shockoe, and the east in general. What is, is supposed to be. I won't comment on any of them anymore.

Sorry Burt, what is the use talking about anything if it's not supposed to be or can be changed. It's self-nothing, I simply will never fight over even entertaining the idea of anything other than a restaurant, club, mom & pop store, or pawn shop ever coming to downtown. All the projects scheduled for it seem to all be in suspended animation. We're run by a bunch of people who'll never accomplish anything. Our mayor thinks he's the President. How can I be optimistic for downtown or my side of the city? Everyone else gave up and I wasn't smart enough to join them until now.

Besides, 99% of my spending is in Henrico and Hanover, because there's nothing really in the city. Well maybe I shouldn't fight it and just accept it as the way it is and going to be. You know where I bought my camera? The Short Pump Best Buy.

ric75, maybe you would know. Did TONIC definitely close? The reason I ask is because several months ago when The Washington Post did a story on Richmond's night life they mentioned TONIC as a vibrant spot and I inferred from the story that it was attracting an older crowd to see stand-up comedy. Did I read that incorrectly?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has any work started under the Spaghetti Works? I guess the recent flooding may have delayed things down there.

By the way, where exactly is that great new mural welcoming people to The Bottom? I like it and wish there were more professionally done murals on buildings. I wouldn't mind seeing something exceptional etched on the ugly blank Verizon tower at 8th and Grace across from the new Fed C.H. VCU's Art Department should be consulted for ideas.

Burt... it's on Main (you see it heading east) just east of Main Street Station on the right side. It's basically across from the City Bar or whatever it's called (in the old Y).

You could throw a rock at it from where the spaghetti works is... speaking of which, work should begin soon if it hasn't already.

Archived