The Future

JWCJ

• 1 month later...

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed a website in the window of the corner building at 17th & Main St. (across from Cafe Gutenberg) which currently is under renovation. The new place:

Richmond International House of Prayer

I figured this would be a bar or something cool, apparently not.

Not related, I can't help but think that if Main St. between 17th & 18th had all of it's torn up sidewalks replaced with brick it would look a lot better IMO.

I noticed a website in the window of the corner building at 17th & Main St. (across from Cafe Gutenberg) which currently is under renovation. The new place:

Not related, I can't help but think that if Main St. between 17th & 18th had all of it's torn up sidewalks replaced with brick it would look a lot better IMO.

The building at the s/e corner of 17th and Main used to be a Blues Club, the name of which began with an "M".

Maybe the House of Prayer is going to be a sort of Bowery Mission to feed, house and convert the homeless.

Agreed, JSI. Brick sidewalks would be a nice touch.

Look for a coffee shop at 2100 E Main in the Bottom.

Relative to the above, Coupe, today's Building Permits column had this item:

James C. Dongieux, 2100 East Main Street, restaurant, $52,525.

This stretch of East Main appears to be attracting more and more entrepreneurs. The residential Haxall View, under renovation along 20th Street between Main and Cary, has a restaurant in its plans.

Richmond International House of Prayer? A bar? Come on now!

• 3 months later...

This looks like the vacant lot on 2000 E. Main. Yes /no? Is this recent?

The reason why I asked is if this is that vacant lot on 2000 E. Main, then there is a new owner as of a couple of weeks ago.

None the less, I like the design.

True but it's weird! It doesn't fit into the Bottom... it's like Echo Harbour inland! It's really challenging the historic architectural nature of Shockoe Bottom. The buildings to the right of the fire station looks neat. It amazes me that out-of-place buildings are approved and built. Take in a historic neighborhood like Church Hill where sandwiched between houses built in the 1860s is a 1970s cinderblock box apartment building. Where was the architectural review board on things like these? Nothing seems to be done right in Richmond but I'm sure once again everyone will nod and clap and call it the finest achievement for Richmond. I say, take it back to the drawingboard!

I actually like it a lot. It blends old with new in what appears to be a tasteful way. It addresses the street well and the scale is perfect for the Bottom. I don't think the massing on the back side of the building would remain a faceless wall at all. These are good architects (just finished up work on the National).

You can see it here... notice the old fire station in both images:

bird's eye view

:yahoo: i had just driven by here this morning... couple of quick thoughts, since I actually sat at the stop sign at this particular vacant lot corner this morning (and thought about how ugly that lot is)...

One, if you look at the proposed and then compare with the existing, they are probably at least maintaining the building on the corner of 21st and Main, then adding a metal and glass facade to fill in between there and the fire station. Also, the 4 to 5 story box in the back must be on the vacant lot, meaning they are stripping off the facade of the building on the other side of the fire station and maintaining it... and that is a big building... so all in all this project is pretty big...

where do I sign up?

LOL... I just noticed Spidey.

Does anyone know what the "mix" consists of?

This will definitely mix the architecture in this area. I like architectural mix and contrast as compared to everything having a similar feel. It catches the eye and makes each structure stand out even more.

Density, density, density! Are those beige buildings in the background supposed to represent -future-buildings included in the plans or do they already exist?

The one to the left is the next block over, so I am safe in saying that is already there. The one to the right... could either be the empty lot directly behind this project on the same block, or it could be caddy corner to this block towards the back, and that building isnt that tall... so, who knows?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Richmond has finally arrived: :rofl:

Segway Dealership Coming to the Slip

A New 'Way' to Travel

Segway of Richmond opens its doors in May

A New 'Way' to Travel

Kent Jennings Brockwell

Richmond.com

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

When Buck Ward first saw a Segway, he knew he had to get one.

"My first reaction was 'I want to get on it.' My second reaction was 'I have to have one,'" Ward said.

Shortly after his first ride, Ward handed over his credit card. He was officially one of "those guys" who rides a Segway.

"The first one I ever rode was in D.C. and the D.C. dealer will tell you the first day I rode one, I didn't buy one. I bought five."

Now he is taking his love of the quasi-futuristic personal transporter to the next level. In May, Ward will open the doors to Segway of Richmond, Richmond's first and only Segway dealership, which is located in Shockoe Slip at 1301 E. Cary St.

Archived