The Future

JWCJ

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Update on the above project:

http://richmondbizsense.com/big-biz/608-sh...wide-plan-.html

A derelict block in Shockoe Bottom is about to get a major makeover.

A group of local developers plans to turn the block into a mixed-use development with more than 200 residential units, 12,000 square feet of retail space and a restaurant.

Construction could start next month.

Developer Marcus Galt has spent the past two years acquiring parcels on Main and Franklin streets between 20th and 21st streets. He and his partners, Tom Dickey and Chris Johnson of Monument Construction, also plan to renovate a late 19th-century firehouse.

Wow, if the rendering above shows only 60 of the said 200 residential units, and the developers have acquired the entire city block, this is a pretty decent undertaking. Should be interesting to see how it all pans out.

I wish we'd hear more news on the Cedar & Broad development..it's too bad it didn't get up on its feet quick enough.

Despite Bizsense displaying the rendering we have seen in the past, no mention is made in the print story about the new proposed building at the n/e corner of 20th and Main (west of the firehouse.) Conversion of a former "bobber" factory at 20th and East Franklin Street is discussed as well as the old firehouse, but the new structure fronting Main Street is not mentioned.

By the way, unless I'm mistaken, the building at the s/e corner of 20th and Franklin, which I think was part of Secrets in the City nightclub, collapsed a few years ago. The last time I passed by it was being repaired.

The tiny and ancient Hebrew cemetery is on the south side of Franklin near 21st Street.

This whole project is in the Johannas Design portfolio. Are they still involved?

I was going to say they couldn't touch the whole block with the cemetery being there. One of Richmond's oldest cemeteries and probably the last one of what was common years ago.. those tiny ones scattered about. What amazes me is that people were buried all over downtown on family plots and in back yards.

I have in the past shopped at a Harris Teeter. They are by far my favorite grocery store. They have opened a good number of "urban" stores. Most the ones I have seen have been on the ground floor of residential structures.

Yep I have been watching a harris teeter go up in Charlotte NC across a new tower called The Vue.

I tell ya what... we'll give you a few Harris Teeters if you give us a few Ukrops :) BTW that Harris Teeter (if I've thinking of the right one) across from the Vue has been there for some time, though I've never actually been inside that particular one.

I tell ya what... we'll give you a few Harris Teeters if you give us a few Ukrops :) BTW that Harris Teeter (if I've thinking of the right one) across from the Vue has been there for some time, though I've never actually been inside that particular one.

In my opinion, Ukrop's and Harris Teeter are on the same level as one another.

Remeber the Richmond region, just recently received its first Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Bass Pro Shop, PETCO and Westin Hotel. I am sure the area will receive other "first in the region" as well, especially in the Bottom once the recent proposal(s) start to move forward.

Remeber the Richmond region, just recently received its first Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Bass Pro Shop, PETCO and Westin Hotel. I am sure the area will receive other "first in the region" as well, especially in the Bottom once the recent proposal(s) start to move forward.

Yeah, RIchmond region, not Richmond itself. We don't get firsts in the city... only leftover crumbs.

Yeah, RIchmond region, not Richmond itself. We don't get firsts in the city... only leftover crumbs.

Oh stop being Mr Screwge. Christmas ended last week. The area feeds in to the City. Without the City, the burbs may not exist at their current levels.

The City's population is on the increase which is a good beginning point.

Be patient my friend. Everything should fall into place. I hope the first Hyatt Regency is in Downtown. CNB would be a great location for a Hyatt Regency.

I can agree on that. Though, I think HT's deli's aren't as good as Ukrops. When I lived in the area, I religiously went to the one on Three Chopt and Patterson. The soups (especially Chili) and pizzas were excellent. Loved the pizzas with chunks of tomatoes in them... Mmmm.

Im sorry but something about Ukrops Pizza when I tried it before just didnt taste right. I have had Ukrops pizza several times and it just doesnt taste that good to me for some reason. I hate saying this but its the second worst pizza I have ever had with Little Caesars being on top. But dont get me wrong I love Ukrops fried Chicken, Macaroni and Cheese and there Mashed potatoes. I also love there Panini Sandwhiches those are good. There soups smell good too never really had Ukrops soups. But since I am an employee of Ukrops I get kinda tired of eating there every day during work and go down to Stuffy's Subs next door to us. Now they got some good subs.

Oh stop being Mr Screwge. Christmas ended last week. The area feeds in to the City. Without the City, the burbs may not exist at their current levels.

The City's population is on the increase which is a good beginning point.

Be patient my friend. Everything should fall into place. I hope the first Hyatt Regency is in Downtown. CNB would be a great location for a Hyatt Regency.

It's Scrooge thank you and it's the 11th day of Christmas!

The city almost always gets things last. This isn't a "suburbs exist because" issue.

It's Scrooge thank you and it's the 11th day of Christmas!

The city almost always gets things last. This isn't a "suburbs exist because" issue.

You obviously don't get my point. :rolleyes:

Richmond has more than you think... including an increasing population which should equate to better comings within the City limits.

I never tried Ukrop's pizza.

I like the proposal/rendering evanf posted a couple pages back SO much more than this.

Summary from the RTD:

First Freedom Center proposal revised

"Based on input from city officials, the project has been redesigned to make it less traditional-looking but still complementary of nearby buildings, said City Councilman Bruce W. Tyler, an architect working on the project."

"I just think it's stronger and bolder, with more of a modern industrial fell to it," said Rachel Flynn, director of the city's Department of Community Development.

Rendering in link below:

First Freedom Center

Which one's more recent?

This project is probably big enough to deserve its own thread...conversations of it are split into 3 threads as of yet.

Archived