COMPLETE: NYLO Hotel

Cotuit

Now that the rumour has been announced, here's another thing for us to speculate about.

I was reading Entertainment Weekly of all things last night and there was an article about the Project Runway runner-ups. It said one of them would be designing uniforms for a new boutique hotel called NYLO opening locations in Texas and Rhode Island.

I Googled up this article:

Breaking Ground. 4/10/2006 By Jim Merritt [HotelInteractive.com]

"We start breaking ground in May in Warwick/Providence R.I.," NYLO CEO John Russell said in a telephone interview. NYLO's Warwick/property will be located four miles from the regional airport, on a river, and next to large malls and universities.

Someone mentioned one of the mill conversions was to feature a boutique hotel...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Breaking Ground. 4/10/2006 By Jim Merritt [HotelInteractive.com]

Someone mentioned on of the mill conversions was to feature a boutique hotel...

Very interesting. The four mile radius from TF Green is a little tricky, perhaps just marketing? As the crow flies, 4 miles doesn't get north of Roger Williams Park. The warwick Mall is just over 2.

FYI, distances were calculated using a cool Google powered pedometer / distance calculator. Zoom into your city and double click to add points.

Brands Take Charge. Hotel chains flood the market with Gen X products [Lodging Hospitality]

Groundbreaking for the first NYLO will be in May. The property in Warwick, RI is along the Pawtuxet River and is part of a residential, retail and restaurant development in a redeveloped textile mill. The property should open in mid 2007.

Interesting that Warwick is its first property.

there has been quite a bit of work done already - I just don't know for sure if the hotel part has or not specifically. The articles said they were to break ground in May. I'm going to email them and ask...

...called the CEO of NYLO and left a message asking if indeed the groundbreaking took place yet. I'll let ya'll know when/if he calls back!

NYLO stands for "never going to work in warwick"

haha jk i have no idea but doesnt it seem like a very suburban location for a boutique-type hotel?????

That's what I thought, but I don't have a degree in marketing so who am I to say? Isn't Pontiac Mills directly across from the Warwick Mall on Route 5? One would think the demographic they are going for is not the demographic that wants to get in their car to drive across the street and go to a (crappy) mall. And you would have to get in your car to cross the street here.

This concept seems much better suited to ALCO or the Dynamo House, perhaps with a minor stretch of the imagination somewhere in Downtown Pawtucket, but Route 5? :unsure:

That's what I thought, but I don't have a degree in marketing so who am I to say? Isn't Pontiac Mills directly across from the Warwick Mall on Route 5? One would think the demographic they are going for is not the demographic that wants to get in their car to drive across the street and go to a (crappy) mall. And you would have to get in your car to cross the street here.

This concept seems much better suited to ALCO or the Dynamo House, perhaps with a minor stretch of the imagination somewhere in Downtown Pawtucket, but Route 5? :unsure:

this would work great in downtown warren, east greenwich, or bristol

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was thinking about this project today. Weird project.

There's a lotta work going on in that corner of the world. Or there was last time I was there, which was admittedly a while ago. Anybody been through that area recently? Besides this NYLO project, last I knew, they were building about 12 pharmacies and/or banks on various corners in the area where Route 5 meets New London Ave. Not to mention the ugliest Webster Bank in the world where Rt 5 crosses over I-95 -- two stories tall and very (painfully) visible from the highway. And then, of course also visible from the highway, there's the wonderful Lowe's project where 5 meets 113.

Sigh.

I haven't been through here in a while too. I usually do, but due to the said construction going on, I avoid it. The S&S next to Lowe's is on hold (as well as the one at the old Fiddlesticks in NK) from an insider at S&S...

Seems odd that they would be putting Fiddlesticks on hold - The building is well over 50% complete and there are giant "opening soon" banners up.

Archived