West Michigan Sports Commission

eyestosee

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Approved:

"The Kent County Board of Commissioners approved a local sports commission that will recruit major sporting events and boost tourism.

The Sports Commission will have 40 members, 29 of whom will come from the general public. Those members will be chosen by February 2007, and applications for the commission are available at the county's website."

Complete article here:

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5813447

Now that we have a Sports commision, I wonder what would be first on their agenda. Would it be bringing in more events to VAA or 5/3 ball park or would this new commision go all out and work on bringing in a big leugue sports team and a big arena /stadium to house them?

I want the West Michigan Sports Commission to set reachable goals. I don't want them to attract these big time events as there isn't many of them. What would be beneficial is for them to put their energy into a larger pool to pull from.

I wonder who this sports commission is really going to benefit. Should Kent County pay for the commission so that the rest of West Michigan reap the rewards of filled hotels and sporting facilities?

I want the West Michigan Sports Commission to set reachable goals. I don't want them to attract these big time events as there isn't many of them. What would be beneficial is for them to put their energy into a larger pool to pull from.

I wonder who this sports commission is really going to benefit. Should Kent County pay for the commission so that the rest of West Michigan reap the rewards of filled hotels and sporting facilities?

Then why should Kent County foot the entire bill? IF its going to directly benefit Holland or Muskegon by filling their hotel space or having extra patrons in their restaurants? Couldn't the cost (however insignificant) be spread out over the regional area...

Then why should Kent County foot the entire bill? IF its going to directly benefit Holland or Muskegon by filling their hotel space or having extra patrons in their restaurants? Couldn't the cost (however insignificant) be spread out over the regional area...

Isn't there a sports club similar to this elsewhere in the Cascade area?

You're right DJL3CDP.

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:Zl9XM6...t=clnk&cd=3

I thought it was just going to be another MVP club. But I was thinking more of like an 8 - 10 field complex to have big tournaments, like they have in the Kalamazoo area. I believe there's one on Drake Rd on the West side of Kzoo, and another in Galesburg.

When Peter Secchia gave a speech at a recent Grand Rapids Young Professionals luncheon, he mentioned that one of the main goals of the commission was going to be to attract more Michigan-based sporting events rather than going after national teams. I assumed he meant getting more high school level and younger state soccer, basketball and football tournaments, effectively stealing them away from places like Livonia and other Detroit suburbs.

Perhaps Rizz, they are referring to it as the West Michigan Sports Commission because in trying to attract more events, they are looking to showcase that we do in fact, have a market here. Which encompasses all of Western Michigan even a little of Kzoo perhaps. A big league team would undoubtedly have to draw support from the lakeshore counties. It makes sense from a marketing stand point. The people who go to these things would not just be from Kent County.

Perhaps Rizz, they are referring to it as the West Michigan Sports Commission because in trying to attract more events, they are looking to showcase that we do in fact, have a market here. Which encompasses all of Western Michigan even a little of Kzoo perhaps. A big league team would undoubtedly have to draw support from the lakeshore counties. It makes sense from a marketing stand point. The people who go to these things would not just be from Kent County.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived