West Michigan Sports Commission

eyestosee

Some quotes from the Grand Rapids Business Journal:

"There was quite a groundswell of interest and that was really great. People from all walks of life applied, and not just from Grand Rapids but throughout West Michigan. So we really feel good about the interest," he said.

Britt said he hopes to have the executive committee in place by the end of this month, as county commissioners could make those appointments this week. The next step will be to add the remaining 29 members to round out the 40-member commission. Twenty-eight of the 40 slots will go to individuals from organizations that are familiar with tourism or sports, while a dozen persons will be named as at-large members.

"The hope is that we can get that done by the end of February," said Britt.

The commission's first meeting is scheduled to be held in March

The complete story can be read here:

http://www.grbj.com/GRBJ/ArticleArchive/20...aming+Names.htm

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the WoodTV8 website:

"The 11 people nominated as executive committee board members are:
  • Richard VanderMolen, Kent County Board of Commissioners (Chair)

• Wayman Britt, Assistant Kent County Administrator (Vice Chair)

• Dan DeVos, DP Fox

• Deb Kay, community advocate

• Bill McDonald, Worsfold Macfarland McDonald

• Kathleen Ponitz, Progressive AE, Grand Rapids-Kent County Convention & Visitors Bureau

• Peter Secchia, SIBSCO

• Tim Selgo, Grand Valley State University

• Joe Tomaselli, Amway Hotel Corporation; Grand Rapids/Kent County Convention Arena Authority

• Rob VerHeulen, City of Walker

• Harold Vorhees, Kent County Board of Commissioners

Also, U-M athletic director Bill Martin, GVSU president emeritus Arend Lubbers and former Detroit Tigers scout and area businessman Bob Sullivan were invited to serve as ex-officio directors."

The complete story is here: http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5989239

Thanks DwntwnGeo..some good info there. I just received my "rejection" letter from them. I was rejected from getting a seat on the executive committee, which I didn't know I applied for :) At least I'm still in the running for the at large selections...What a great thing for West Michigan

• 2 years later...

The West Michigan Sports Commission is looking to open a 12 field sports complex off of 10 Mile in Rockford. The $5 Million in construction costs would be sought through public and private funding, and the land is owned by Kent County.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/ind...nshane_and.html

Initial estimates put the economic impact at about $50 Million/annually. No word yet on traffic impact for 10 Mile Rd. :)

?? Not understanding that, Rizz. Proposed location is by a minor highway interchange, and the only "services" are a couple gas stations and the Rockford Meijer...adjacent to a capped landfill. It's not close enough to DT for participants to walk to, say, Custard's by the Dam, and it's some distance from the Meijer (which is down a hill and across a valley, using a highway-style setback from Ten Mile Road). Good location map in the Press.

"The area is close to three municipalities -- Plainfield and Algoma townships and Rockford -- that have worked together to develop the 10 Mile corridor without too much commercial sprawl.

The park would be across from a Meijer, and several banks and small businesses. (Plainfield Twp Mgr) Homan said there might be space for a hotel, but fast food would not be allowed."

In other news, Grand Rapids and the West Michigan Sports Commission is working hard to tap into the 2016 Olympics, if they come to Chicago. Apparently a lot of training facilities set up within a 5 - 6 hour drive radius from Olympic sites. Heartwell has apparently already met with IOC officials.

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_story.aspx...56&catid=14

?? Not understanding that, Rizz. Proposed location is by a minor highway interchange, and the only "services" are a couple gas stations and the Rockford Meijer...adjacent to a capped landfill. It's not close enough to DT for participants to walk to, say, Custard's by the Dam, and it's some distance from the Meijer (which is down a hill and across a valley, using a highway-style setback from Ten Mile Road). Good location map in the Press.

"The area is close to three municipalities -- Plainfield and Algoma townships and Rockford -- that have worked together to develop the 10 Mile corridor without too much commercial sprawl.

The park would be across from a Meijer, and several banks and small businesses. (Plainfield Twp Mgr) Homan said there might be space for a hotel, but fast food would not be allowed."

West Michigan Sports Commission to host State Games of Michigan in Grand Rapids in 2010

by Brian VanOchten {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} The Grand Rapids Press

Tuesday June 30, 2009, 10:00 AM

GRAND RAPIDS -- Imagine a flaming cauldron on Calder Plaza being lit as part of opening ceremonies of an Olympic-style sports festival that attracts thousands of amateur athletes and spectators from all around the state.

It is set to happen next summer.

The West Michigan Sports Commission announced plans this morning to host the inaugural State Games of Michigan from June 25-27, comprising 10 athletic events at different sites throughout the area.

http://www.mlive.com/sports/grand-rapids/i..._commissio.html

Wow.

So, assuming the State Games succeed, they intend to keep it in West Michigan every year? When I first heard about it, I figured a different area would host each year... You know, like the Olympics. But from reading the article, it sounds as though we intend to host it permanently.

Naturally, I'm fine with that, but I would think other cities will eventually start complaining loudly.

So, assuming the State Games succeed, they intend to keep it in West Michigan every year? When I first heard about it, I figured a different area would host each year... You know, like the Olympics. But from reading the article, it sounds as though we intend to host it permanently.

Naturally, I'm fine with that, but I would think other cities will eventually start complaining loudly.

• 2 months later...
In other news, Grand Rapids and the West Michigan Sports Commission is working hard to tap into the 2016 Olympics, if they come to Chicago. Apparently a lot of training facilities set up within a 5 - 6 hour drive radius from Olympic sites. Heartwell has apparently already met with IOC officials.

storyid=110656&catid=14"]http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_story.aspx...56&catid=14

I agree about Chicago... was surprised they were being called a front-runner.

Rio has bid, and failed, so many times that I figured they were a shoe-in. Not to mention the fact the games have *never* been in South America... seemed like a no-brainer to me.

Archived