If you really want to combat global warming

Sundodger

If you really care about this issue and want to curb global warming, here is what your city can do:

- Change sun cycles and sun spot cycles. This is the #1 cause of global warming. It is also the cause of the retreating Martian polar caps.

- Change the volcanic cycle. Maybe we here in the NW can coax our volcanoes to erupt and cool the planet to give us another destructive mini ice age.

- change the orbital influences

- Change natural earth cycles, such as the Milankovitch Cycles and El Nino/Southern Oscillation

Realistically, it is best for us to invest our resources now for the reality of global climate change that we can not change. We should be building levees and seawalls to prepare for the rising sea levels. We should be investing in water systems to prepare for lesser snow pack and glaciation. Instead we are being pushed into wasting tons of time and resources into something that will accomplish almost nothing. Any of you actually seen the cost-benefit analysis of Kyoto? It does more harm than good and does nothing to address the greatest causes of global warming nor does anything to prepare us for the results of global warming.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While you do bring up valid, proven points, this is not an excuse for us to continue our detrimental ways. Compare it to lung cancer and smoking; maybe we once thought smoking was the main cause of lung cancer, but then we found out that it's genetic as well. Would you justify continuing smoking anyway? Hell no! Smoking, though not the ONLY cause of lung cancer, is only going to worsen the situation and make it more likely you will get lung cancer. Just as continued emissions of greenhouse gases is not going to help any type of natural global warming scenario.

^

The cure is more detrimental than the minor supposed damages. I call them supposed damages because a slight tempreture increase may be a good thing. Up until the 1800's we went through a mini ice age and other reoccuring cold periods that resulted in some of the most horrible times in written human history. If you analyize the costs vs. benefits, it is no where near worth the investment. Instead, we should be investing now in future seawalls, levees, and places that depend on summer snowpack like where I live, water systems, since the world is warming regardless, unless we have a major spat of volcanic activity.

From what I've heard, most of the temperature rises could also be attributed to cyclical temperature changes in the earth, as well. There's no doubt that our emissions probably aren't healthy, but I also don't think it's the massive problem that some make it out to be, either.

well put. the earth has been through this cycle many times. we're just helping speed it up a little.

isn't rainforest destruction the single greatest cause of global warming or at least greenhouse gases being released into the atmosphere?

In terms of man made impacts to the environment, I see the destruction of equatorial rainforests as having the largest impact. Not only is it a vast source of carbon dioxide emission, but it changes global weather patterns and increases desertification. Forests have a cooling effect on the atmosphere - both through transpiration and evaporation of water. Rainforests act as mini "air conditioners" for the planet, absorbing large amounts of solar energy and cooling the atmosphere. Soil erosion is also a side effect deforestation. Look at Haiti. The country is in shambles due primarily to the complete deforestation of the entire island.

In terms of man made impacts to the environment, I see the destruction of equatorial rainforests as having the largest impact. Not only is it a vast source of carbon dioxide emission, but it changes global weather patterns and increases desertification. Forests have a cooling effect on the atmosphere - both through transpiration and evaporation of water. Rainforests act as mini "air conditioners" for the planet, absorbing large amounts of solar energy and cooling the atmosphere. Soil erosion is also a side effect deforestation. Look at Haiti. The country is in shambles due primarily to the complete deforestation of the entire island.

Thank you. I've been trying to make that point here. It seems like the media has forgotten about the rain forests, 15 years go or so they were "it" and now it's Americans and their cars. I guess stuff like the destruction through burning (releasing more carbon into the air!) and logging, and the rapid development of East Asian countries who don't put much regard into environmental consiousness don't fall in line with the media's agenda to blame the USA for all of the world's problems. Any effort trying to convert rooftops across the nation would be better put to use trying to save the rain forests or researching technology for clean sources of energy.

isn't rainforest destruction the single greatest cause of global warming or at least greenhouse gases being released into the atmosphere?

The retreating snowpack on Africa's Mt. Kilimanjaro is a result of deforestation which has reduced moisture in the area.

Thank you. I've been trying to make that point here. It seems like the media has forgotten about the rain forests, 15 years go or so they were "it" and now it's Americans and their cars. I guess stuff like the destruction through burning (releasing more carbon into the air!) and logging, and the rapid development of East Asian countries who don't put much regard into environmental consiousness don't fall in line with the media's agenda to blame the USA for all of the world's problems. Any effort trying to convert rooftops across the nation would be better put to use trying to save the rain forests or researching technology for clean sources of energy.

Its a problem that really saddens me. Besides the climatic impacts of deforestation, the ecological impacts are even worse. To me, the extinction of plant and animal species at the hands of man's inexorable avarice is inexcusable. Tropical rainforests provide a wealth of biodiversity without which the world would be a different place.

As much as this is a problem in the developing world, America also has a poor track record. As the US advanced through the Industrial Revolution, just about the entire great eastern forest stretching from Maine to Florida to Michigan was clear cut at one point. During the mid 1800's, most of southern New England was clear-cut for sheep farming to supply the booming mills on swift flowing rivers. The trees have since grown back, but the land has forever changed. The distribution of tree species and ecology of eastern forests will never be as it once was. The American Bison is another example of exploitation right here in the US. They once numbered in the millions, but very nearly went extinct.

It is because of examples like this that I can't help but feel hypocritical. There is a great amount of wealth locked up in the tropical rain forest. Developing nations need this wealth to support their inhabitants. Who am I to say they shouldn't cut down that tree??

To tie this in with the rest of the thread, it would be better to focus our efforts in educating poor people in the developing world and teaching sustainable methods of agriculture. In order to stop the deforestation, reliance on its inherent wealth must be decreased. We can all do our parts too by boycotting tropical hardwoods. Every time I see a set of teak deck furniture in somebody's back yard I cringe.

Deforestation may or may not be the leading human cause of global warming, but I am one who beleives more along the lines of what the origional poster said. Global warming is primarily caused by natural events, both resulting from the planet itself and space, humans are simply speeding the process. The real debate comes in as to how much are we speeding it, thats something nobody knows yet.

Archived