Direct Flight to Asia from Charlotte

monsoon

Direct Flight to Asia from Charlotte  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Could Charlotte's Hub support a direct flight to an Asian City?

• No - USAir and Charlotte are not ready for it
    • Yes - Charlotte is USAir's largest hub
    • Not sure
  2. 2. What is the most important city?

• Tokyo
    • HongKong
    • Seoul
    • Singapore
    • other

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This question was inspired by a similar topic in the Nashville forum. Why doesn't Charlotte have a direct flight from its very large hub here in Charlotte to a city in Asia? Say Tokyo, HongKong or Singapore. Today if you book a flight to one of these places on USAir, they will code share it onto United and you have to make a connection in another city. Charlotte has had a lot of successes over the past few years ranging from skyscrapers to mass transit, to museums, to growth, etc. A direct connection to Asia seems to be one of the missing elements in this city. What do you think? Could Charlotte support a direct airline flight to Asia?

I think we could eventually, but currently I don't think Charlotte is ready. Our ties to Asian countries are not good enough in my opinion. Our asian population is growing, but I don't think it's large enough to support a direct flight. Also I don't think our business relations with those countries are strong enough either.

I think we could eventually, but currently I don't think Charlotte is ready. Our ties to Asian countries are not good enough in my opinion. Our asian population is growing, but I don't think it's large enough to support a direct flight. Also I don't think our business relations with those countries are strong enough either.

The state does have a few business ties to China, one great example is the IBM (TRP/URP)-Lenovo (Beijing) partnership.

The state does have a few business ties to China, one great example is the IBM (TRP/URP)-Lenovo (Beijing) partnership.

True but IBM has also sold a lot of their Charlotte property to Selectron, Meridan and some other groups, IBM occupies a lot less land than it did in the seventies/eighties, Im not sure the exact amount, but I do know it is a least half.

I voted no. I think Boston, Philadelphia, San Diego, Denver, Miami or even Memphis are much more likely to get a nonstop to Asia before Charlotte. Memphis is a Northwest hub who also has a hub in Tokyo, but there are no nonstop flights. The same thing is true with Denver and United. The only people who would connect there are people who live south of Charlotte (basically just SC, GA, and FL). Also, US Airways just doesn't have the planes to do a CLT to Asia route. They're all used up on PHL/CLT to Europe routes. Plus, while US Airways' 762's or A330's could fly the route they probably wouldn't be able to fly it with a full passenger and/or cargo load.

well, first of all there needs to be enough passengers to make these direct flights. International business is not really that big in Charlotte, plus on the other hand, the Asian population in Charlotte needs to get big enough for these planes to have passengers fill up these planes, because believe it or not... the majority of passengers going to Asia are... Asians...

I think it would be extremely awesome if CLT was able to get a flight to Asia, but I just don't see it happening. ATL has a flight or two to Asia but not anymore. And with the distance between the two, I don't think an airline could warrant opening such a route at this time. Not not saying we'll never see such a flight but I wouldn't expect it for the next 10 years if that.

I think it would be extremely awesome if CLT was able to get a flight to Asia, but I just don't see it happening. ATL has a flight or two to Asia but not anymore. And with the distance between the two, I don't think an airline could warrant opening such a route at this time. Not not saying we'll never see such a flight but I wouldn't expect it for the next 10 years if that.

actually, JFK, Dulles and O'hara airports does have flights direct to asia...and their all on the east coast, well maybe not o'hara

Delta flies from Atlanta to Tokyo and Korean air flies from ATL to Seoul. Both are once daily and nonstop.

• 3 weeks later...

USairways had a 305 Million profit. 2nd quarter

No Airline Can Afford to go from East Coast All the way to Asia anymore.

All most all of Usairways flights are cheaper than every airline{Except Dayton Ohio}

Charlotte To Pheonix To Asia

Charlotte To Las Vegas To Asia

Charlotte to Either Phili,Reagan,La guardia to Pheonix,Las Vegas to asia

Usairways Plans to add 26{They announced another 1 to eagle vail} {http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2006/06/12/daily4.html} more flights out of Charlotte.CEO Said Charlotte Will be Usairways Biggest Hub Due To the rising Popularity and Economy in Charlotte dropping Pitts.. Although Dont count on USair going to anywhere out of the country {Frankfurt and Manchester besides MExico,Bahamas ETC.}Usair plans to have All of its Internationals Out of Phili.

USairways Already Added Milan,Lisbon,and stockholm From Phili

But with USairways ordering 20 A-350's super widebodys that are made for really long range flights

Usairways Biggest Hubs

Charlotte

Philidelphia

Pheonix

Las Vegas

DC

Pitts.

NYC

Boston

Tampa

Fleet right now

54 A-319

20 A-320

28 A-321

9 A-330

0 A 350

27 737

10 767

0 ERJ 190 YEs The ERJ makes alot of Regional Aircraft, But the 190 is a mainline fleet with 1st class

Ordering

10 A-330

20 A-350 super wide body

57 ERJ 190's {99 seats 11 are 1sy class} CRJ 900 Holds 86, A-319 holds 120 people {littel reference}]

As for USairways express

Biggest Hubs

Charlotte

Phili

DC

NYC

pheonix

las Vegas

boston

Tampa

Usairways Express Fleet

Beechcraft 19 {holds 24}

CRJ-200 123

CRJ-700 14

CRJ-900 38

Dash 8 12

ERJ 145 45

ERJ 170 28

ERJ 175 30

saab 340 18

SO I dont think usairways Will go away anytime soon;>

Just based on current population of Asians in the Charlotte area, I don't believe there would be the support for a direct flight to Asia from Charlotte. This will be the domain of the ATL market for some years to come as their Asian population is very large at this point and getting bigger every day. I don't think Charlotte could support an Asian route until maybe 5-10 yrs down the road.

My vote was yes, for Tokyo, though Hong Kong is equally suitable in my opinion.

I agree that we aren't quite there yet, but given politics and competition, if we don't need this route for 5-15 ears, we should get some serious discussion going now. I think a big and comprehensive expansion of business and financial (and educational) ties to East Asia would be to our advantage here - I don't think there are limits to how ambitious we should or could be in this regard, and this could be the cornerstone of that strategy.

Just based on current population of Asians in the Charlotte area, I don't believe there would be the support for a direct flight to Asia from Charlotte. This will be the domain of the ATL market for some years to come as their Asian population is very large at this point and getting bigger every day. I don't think Charlotte could support an Asian route until maybe 5-10 yrs down the road.

Not in absolute numbers, but percentage-wise, the Triangle cities may overtake Atl in the not too distant future in Asian population - those numbers are growing fast in NC, and Charlotte - as a hub city between the two, and as a financial/business center - is well positioned to capitalize on that.

Keep in Mind That USairways Might not care about the rising asian pop. in charlotte.

If USairwas does go out of any east coast Hubs it should be DC, or phili

As a business, I'm certain that USAirways must care about any customers/deomgraphic with dollars to spend.

• 1 year later...
Just a fun FYI, in October I'm going to Japan. And I'm driving all the way to Nashville to do it - I'll save nearly $200 (gas accounted for) and had much better flight options. Guess that's what you get with a 90% monopoly at CLT.

When going overseas and especially to Japan, I've found that CLT's monopoly on local flights really doesn't make that much difference if any in price. All of the trans-Pacific airlines pretty much eat the local portion to fly you to their gateway city that connects to Tokyo or Osaka. I am not sure that after being cooped up in a plane for 13-14 hours, and highly jet lagged because you just jumped 13 time zones, that I would want to be facing a ground trip back from Nashville.

• 3 months later...

I know this thread implies passenger service, but the CBJ reported last week that Cathay Pacific (based in Hong Kong) met with airport officials about offering direct cargo service to Charlotte. They are supposed to meet again in the next few months.

When going overseas and especially to Japan, I've found that CLT's monopoly on local flights really doesn't make that much difference if any in price. All of the trans-Pacific airlines pretty much eat the local portion to fly you to their gateway city that connects to Tokyo or Osaka. I am not sure that after being cooped up in a plane for 13-14 hours, and highly jet lagged because you just jumped 13 time zones, that I would want to be facing a ground trip back from Nashville.

Archived