Northwest Applies For Expanded International Service

northernbizzkit1

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Application for MEM-CZM Service

If approved, this flight will be served by an A320...said to be Saturday seasonal service. I could imagine MEM becoming regular since MEM is the Carribean hub for NW.

What's the status on more transcontinental flights? Asia? SA? Europe? Maybe Australia? I know we won't get all of them anytime soon. How soon for maybe one of 'em? 5 years?

What's the status on more transcontinental flights? Asia? SA? Europe? Maybe Australia? I know we won't get all of them anytime soon. How soon for maybe one of 'em? 5 years?

My brother was told when he worked at US Airways that USAir and CLT would be going against Northwest and MEM as far as Caribbean/South American ops because Northwest was interested in "dramatically" increasing such service at MEM to make it the Caribbean hub for Northwest. This flight only seems to confirm such a statement. Furthermore, a MEM-NRT (Tokyo-Narita) flight has been lobbied for ever since the World Runway opened back in 2000 or 2001 and continues to be done so. I've heard that either a MEM-NRT flight or a MEM-CDG (Paris) flight will be the next flight from MEM involving crossing an ocean. I personally don't see NW bringing a 747 into MEM to do a NRT run, so I feel that there won't be a MEM-NRT flight until the 787 arrives in 2008. But (and you will see this in the Nashville forum over the Nissan/Tokyo flight) I strongly believe that if there is pressure from Nissan to have a Tokyo flight, MEM may get it sooner than expected because I do not feel that BNA will get one before MEM. However, it has been stated that if a MEM-CDG flight begins, it will be operated by Air France (a fellow Skyteam member with Northwest). This makes me feel that the MEM-CDG flight or even a MEM-LGW flight would come before NRT simply because they can make these runs on A330s or 767s that NW or Skyteam airlines currently have. The only other international route I've heard of has been a second MEM-AMS flight each day.

...and yet, you still have to go through DTW to get from MEM and the rest of the south to Mexico City. NWA's logic in that regard is truly weird.

The Pinnacle-operated NWAirlink MEM-MTY (Monterrey) was discontinued several years ago because of low passenger count, but with MTY a large business center with good growth, it would make sense to try that market again. AutoZone alone would do a good business between MEM and their Mexico HQ in MTY. Acapulco would be a good seasonal service destination from MEM as well. AeroMexico is part of the SkyTeam alliance with NWA, so additional NWA links into Mexico would help both companies.

With 787's on the way to bolster the A330s, one hopes NWA might consider Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, and Rio de Janeiro for service down the road. Adding an A330 daily flight to CDG would be a great enhancement for the AMS service as it would directly link MEM into the Air France network. I agree with Bizzkit that MEM-NRT makes the most sense for aiding Nissan as NWA already has a better deal than other airlines with the Japanese government, and the passenger base is already here. MEM alone would provide quite a few daily passengers to Asia, and the connecting traffic from the South and East would make MEM-NRT profitable.

Additional service such as this will necessitate an expansion of the customs area beyond MEM gate B43, but this needs to be done anyway.

...and yet, you still have to go through DTW to get from MEM and the rest of the south to Mexico City. NWA's logic in that regard is truly weird.

The Pinnacle-operated NWAirlink MEM-MTY (Monterrey) was discontinued several years ago because of low passenger count, but with MTY a large business center with good growth, it would make sense to try that market again. AutoZone alone would do a good business between MEM and their Mexico HQ in MTY. Acapulco would be a good seasonal service destination from MEM as well. AeroMexico is part of the SkyTeam alliance with NWA, so additional NWA links into Mexico would help both companies.

With 787's on the way to bolster the A330s, one hopes NWA might consider Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, and Rio de Janeiro for service down the road. Adding an A330 daily flight to CDG would be a great enhancement for the AMS service as it would directly link MEM into the Air France network. I agree with Bizzkit that MEM-NRT makes the most sense for aiding Nissan as NWA already has a better deal than other airlines with the Japanese government, and the passenger base is already here. MEM alone would provide quite a few daily passengers to Asia, and the connecting traffic from the South and East would make MEM-NRT profitable.

Additional service such as this will necessitate an expansion of the customs area beyond MEM gate B43, but this needs to be done anyway.

I've heard rumor that Mexico City and Cabo San Lucas were possibilities at MEM later on...I would think maybe we could get Mexico City on AeroMexico, and maybe Cabo a few years later.

I think the 787 is really going to help the Memphis hub. It will give MEM a better international edge that will truly give it a hub feel. I agree with you in that the 787 will bring options of Rio and other South American options...I can imagine this working out because apart from the MTY flight on Pinnacle, MEM really has been successful with international flights. While I would LOVE to see a 747 start a MEM-NRT flight soon, I think the 787 will bring us this flight in 2008. Who knows...maybe the Japanese PM will love his ribs and Elvis so much that he'll order immediate commencement of daily MEM-NRT flights!

The whole B43 area is a big mess if any type of rush is there...A few years ago, my father was in that area while there was a story and a DC-10 waiting to go for AMS, a 757 for DTW, a 757 for MSP, and two A320s boarding for Caribbean destinations...and his DC-9 for ATL. He said people were all over the place and announcements were confusing because there were so many people. I was there last year waiting to go to Atlanta, and it was bad enough dealing with that flight, one 757 for MSP, one for Cancun, and one for San Juan. Seriously, the next enhancement at MEM needs to make the international area similar to the one at CLT where it's a large circle that separates all of the flights at a decent length to where you can hear individual announcements and handle all of the passengers in comfort.

Really. A lot people fail to realize that Memphis is getting hot but just under the radar. I am watching Memphis International since its one of Memphis' top money makers.

If NWA pulls out of Memphis, which is unlikely, airport officials are already in process of luring other airlines, mainly Southwest. Southwest officials seemed enticed. I will put the link up after I work out. I didn't realize how well Memphis International is ran.

Really. A lot people fail to realize that Memphis is getting hot but just under the radar. I am watching Memphis International since its one of Memphis' top money makers.

If NWA pulls out of Memphis, which is unlikely, airport officials are already in process of luring other airlines, mainly Southwest. Southwest officials seemed enticed. I will put the link up after I work out. I didn't realize how well Memphis International is ran.

It's funny on some of the other message boards (particularly airline-related like airliners.net) how under the radar Memphis is. Check it out and laugh at some of the posturing from some similar-size market, and how offended some of them appear to be at Memphis' status. Especially Indianapolis posters.

The head of our airport (Larry Cox?) was named top airport runner a few years back, I think, and also he was named as the head of all the airport operators for one of the recent years. I wonder how many of the muni airports are under the MSCAA? They should look into consolidating all of them under one managing entity.

I'd love to see a Southwest or B6 hub here IF NWA pulls out or reduces us to a focus city. Heck, even if not.

I wonder how many of the muni airports are under the MSCAA? They should look into consolidating all of them under one managing entity.

DeWitt Spain downtown and Charles Baker just south of Millington are overseen by the MSCAA.

It's funny on some of the other message boards (particularly airline-related like airliners.net) how under the radar Memphis is. Check it out and laugh at some of the posturing from some similar-size market, and how offended some of them appear to be at Memphis' status. Especially Indianapolis posters.

The head of our airport (Larry Cox?) was named top airport runner a few years back, I think, and also he was named as the head of all the airport operators for one of the recent years. I wonder how many of the muni airports are under the MSCAA? They should look into consolidating all of them under one managing entity.

I'd love to see a Southwest or B6 hub here IF NWA pulls out or reduces us to a focus city. Heck, even if not.

Memphis International is in very good hands. I applaud Memphis for recognizing this and making the airport their focal point. Oh, AA increased flights in Memphis. Nothing major but an increase. Two new flights for Memphis.

The people on airliners.net are a__holes ( thats being kind). I didn't know much about Memphis before moving to Murfreesboro for school. I found out alot of history and the fact that Memphis is very much underrated. A friend of mine from Memphis always says that Memphis is "hated" on. Since being here, I saw it too. Some people hate to even say that Memphis is the Distribution Center of the world. Because of Memphis' position, freight can be transported to anywhere in the US in 2 days or less thanks to the 4th largest port and FedEx. Making Memphis one of the more important cities of America, but you don't hear that much.. I wonder why? I really have grown to appreciate Memphis and Nashville.

Memphis International is in very good hands. I applaud Memphis for recognizing this and making the airport their focal point. Oh, AA increased flights in Memphis. Nothing major but an increase. Two new flights for Memphis.

The people on airliners.net are a__holes ( thats being kind). I didn't know much about Memphis before moving to Murfreesboro for school. I found out alot of history and the fact that Memphis is very much underrated. A friend of mine from Memphis always says that Memphis is "hated" on. Since being here, I saw it too. Some people hate to even say that Memphis is the Distribution Center of the world. Because of Memphis' position, freight can be transported to anywhere in the US in 2 days or less thanks to the 4th largest port and FedEx. Making Memphis one of the more important cities of America, but you don't hear that much.. I wonder why? I really have grown to appreciate Memphis and Nashville.

I may be in the minority, but I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Memphis doesn't generally promote or defend itself enough, especially compared to cities like Charlotte, Nashville, and Atlanta. You can still have southern hospitality but be an ardent booster of your community. No one else is going to go out of their way to look for the good in our city; other cities will pounce on our humility/silence/whatever you want to call it.

What were the increases? Simply more MEM-DFW or MEM-ORD routes? I'm going to assume that it isn't a new destination.

I think the reason Indianapolis posters on airliners.net are ticked off is because they are basically a carbon copy of the MEM airport to the north...except on a much smaller scale. Who is the big commercial player at IND? NW (albeit only with a focus city designation). Who is the other large player? FedEx. I don't think people in IND want to accept the fact that Memphis is a smaller city but has a MUCH larger FedEx operation and a NW hub. Unfortunately, the location of IND is its weak spot. It's convenient to two existing NW hubs (MSP and DTW), and it is also close to Chicago-O'hare and Pittsburgh. Simply put, it's the small fish. It's absolutely foolish when even the NEWSPAPER in Indianapolis starts writing articles about how FedEx is moving its hub from MEM to IND and how IND will also house a NW hub after NW pulls out of MEM. I'm sorry but this is absolutely foolish. MEM has an excellent layout and location that makes it where operations are year-round with no hassle from the snow. IND has to put up with snow storms throughout the winter. Furthermore, if NW moved to IND, it would no longer have any southern presence. MEM is certainly underrated, and I've always wondered why there haven't been more airlines in the market.

It's absolutely foolish when even the NEWSPAPER in Indianapolis starts writing articles about how FedEx is moving its hub from MEM to IND and how IND will also house a NW hub after NW pulls out of MEM.

Yes, I remember those articles. They were saying that FedEx was considering making IND its gateway hub for the A380 and using an abandoned United maintenance facility for A380 maintenance. At the time I found this very perplexing, since I had just seen our Board of Directors at FedEx approve funds for the construction of an A380 hangar and parking positions in Memphis.

I also saw posts from a guy claiming to be a FedEx employee at IND, who said his "management" unveiled plans to expand the IND hub to a size larger than MEM, and that it would become the new focal point of U.S. operations because MEM was "landlocked". Of course, this too is false.

Yes, I remember those articles. They were saying that FedEx was considering making IND its gateway hub for the A380 and using an abandoned United maintenance facility for A380 maintenance. At the time I found this very perplexing, since I had just seen our Board of Directors at FedEx approve funds for the construction of an A380 hangar and parking positions in Memphis.

I also saw posts from a guy claiming to be a FedEx employee at IND, who said his "management" unveiled plans to expand the IND hub to a size larger than MEM, and that it would become the new focal point of U.S. operations because MEM was "landlocked". Of course, this too is false.

Yeah...it turned out that guy is a part-time package handler. Hasn't it been established that FX has hundreds of acres at its disposal at the airport before it is time to look elsewhere? I think the city government will tear down winchester for FedEx before they'd let it move elsewhere.

Yeah...it turned out that guy is a part-time package handler. Hasn't it been established that FX has hundreds of acres at its disposal at the airport before it is time to look elsewhere? I think the city government will tear down winchester for FedEx before they'd let it move elsewhere.

To be fair, the poster wasn't insinuating a move of headquarters or the hub. He was just saying Indy would eclipse Memphis as the largest operations.

I remember that we discussed extensively the expansion options, including expanding the hub east. I think we were speculating on expansion north (moving the rental cars). Are either of those options officially in the sights of the airport's future plans? Or are those just the speculation of us amateurs?

I remember that we discussed extensively the expansion options, including expanding the hub east. I think we were speculating on expansion north (moving the rental cars). Are either of those options officially in the sights of the airport's future plans? Or are those just the speculation of us amateurs?

I have not seen any airport plans with expansions beyond the current footprint of the airport (i.e. the property bordered by Swinnea, Shelby Drive, Airways and Democrat Rd.). I doubt there are any other official expansion plans. There are probably "unofficial" plans in the heads of Fred Smith, Larry Cox and others...might be no more than casual discussions about where to go next.

Some other unoffficial airport project speculation:

1). Actually this one is in the same master plan that shows the X-terminal down south. Taxiway M (parallel 18R/36L) would be extended across Winchester/Plough Blvd. to link up with Taxiway A (parallel to 9-27). It's not really needed now as daytime congestion between FedEx's day sort and NWA's ops. isn't too bad, but down the road if FedEx day flying increases and NWA adds more banks, an M extension would be extremely helpful and take much pressure off Twy. N.

2) Signature Flight Support closes or greatly contracts. FedEx corporate aviation moves into that space from their current Democrat Rd. location which allows more FedEx cargo parking on the north side of their ramp.

3) Airways Blvd. moved west to allow for a 4th north-south parallel runway. This is similar to #1 above, and would enhance capacity during FedEx's afternoon outbound ops. and NWA's inbound. You'd be able to have 2 takeoffs and 2 landings simultaneously vs. a staggered 2-1 combination now. Way down the road if it ever happens.

Some other unoffficial airport project speculation:

1). Actually this one is in the same master plan that shows the X-terminal down south. Taxiway M (parallel 18R/36L) would be extended across Winchester/Plough Blvd. to link up with Taxiway A (parallel to 9-27). It's not really needed now as daytime congestion between FedEx's day sort and NWA's ops. isn't too bad, but down the road if FedEx day flying increases and NWA adds more banks, an M extension would be extremely helpful and take much pressure off Twy. N.

2) Signature Flight Support closes or greatly contracts. FedEx corporate aviation moves into that space from their current Democrat Rd. location which allows more FedEx cargo parking on the north side of their ramp.

3) Airways Blvd. moved west to allow for a 4th north-south parallel runway. This is similar to #1 above, and would enhance capacity during FedEx's afternoon outbound ops. and NWA's inbound. You'd be able to have 2 takeoffs and 2 landings simultaneously vs. a staggered 2-1 combination now. Way down the road if it ever happens.

Quite interesting...for signature to close/move, i think it would be a fight between FedEx and Wilson Aviation for who gets the space.

• 1 month later...

Archived