Metro Grand Rapids / Greater Lansing Today:

metrogrkid

As a result of my reading through some of the comments of the Lansing-UP Forum, I am launching this thread to bring some clarity and understanding to some Lansing-based views about Metropolitan Grand Rapids as well as to impart a sense of calming to the

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About the actual "GR vs. Lansing" thing, I don't have problem with GR, I look at GR as an example of what Lansing could become, I think that Lansing should be able to easily have 2/3 of what GR has in downtown development (based simply on population), if not more, since Lansing has such a large wokforce dopwntown, two large colleges downtown and MSU next door. I'll be the first to admit that there are a couple GR forumers in specific that I have some issues with, but I easily look past that, if I didn't I wouldn't post in GR forum as often as I do.

About the MSU Medical School, it never really bothered me to begin with, MSU is putting a relitevely small part of their medical school, which is already small in GR. If MSU's medical school does grow to a major one, I know that it might have never happened in Lansing anyways, so I couldn't really complain about it going to GR.

And finally, my favorite subject when it comes to GR, the MSA. I still don't beleive that the 1.2 million GR CSA comparable to the Lansing CSA at 550k. Lansing's CSA is more comparable to GR's MSA (GR-Wyoming). Because, if Lansing's CSA were to be comparable to GR's it would have to include at least Jackson, but because of Lansing's position between 3 counties it's hard to include other entire counties, but the Lansing CSA should also inlcude at least parts of Shiwassee and Ionia and maybe even a part of Livingston county. But, I don't go by CSAs or MSAs, because I don't care about who travels from where to work and live wherever. I care about built up area, and for that there is urban area population, which Lansing's is ~330,000 and GR's is a little over 550,000. Thats a fair comparison between the two cities.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah Hood I like to use those numbers as well I never understood why they would count entire counties in the GR metro because places like PLainwell in southern Allagan county are aesily indentified as subburban Kalamazoo sice its 10 min up 131 while its 30 min from GR. I also happen to think that Muskegan and even Holland function as their own metro areas and should almost be considered a CSA. As for Lansing I've always thought that for its size, it has a bigger city attitude than GR. Its got a lot throughout the city and the little things like taller apartment buildings, wider roads, bigger colleges and more of a connection to Detroit all make it seem more urban throughout most of the city. GR has a different feel than Lansing, Flint, Detroit ect. I don't know if I follow you metrokid but I think your saying they should not compete so I would agree saying they are different.

I totally understand about Lansing having a more "urban" feel than GR. I've often heard Lansing reffered to as the "biggest little city you will find," and GR reffered to as the opposite. I think that attitude may be at the root of GR's success, you have a built atmosphere around GR's downtown thats very urban, but an almost small town mentality, with people being curteous and such. GR has definately found a niche market that is serving it very well.

• 2 years later...

Glad to find this thread, due to many issues I thought of are written here.

I still think Grand Rapids is a nice city, and like to make visits there all the time. Although now my favor of the city has decreased ( ofcourse I've always favored Lansing over Grand Rapids, but I did see Grand Rapids as the second best city in the state). While around online, I would notice the large distinction people would make on whether they are part of West or East Michigan. Then those in West Michigan, would mention how the other side of the state is horrible. While residents of Grand Rapids would if not always most of the time downgrate the city of Lansing. ( I could write more, but I'll make this comment short)

Not only have many residents in Grand Rapids downgrated the city enough, but didn't hesitate to point out that MSU new medical school has moved there along with their headquaters. Knowing the movement of MSU medical school was surprising, but with my rising concerns of Grand Rapids I wouldn't say I'm dissapointed in the movement nor pleased.

I do like Grand Rapids feel ( and ofcourse Lansing's), it's a large city with alot to do downtown ( including skyline) but feels suburban somewhat like. Maybe it's the cities layout. On google map I looked at Grand Rapids roads ( mainly yellow ones) and Lansing's ( mainly yellow ones) and notice the difference.

Archived