Group of students driving 55mph on Atlanta interstate

Neo

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5...p;q=speed+limit

This is both funny and disappointing that society has resulted in such behavior and disregard for the law. On a stretch of interstate in Atlanta the speed limit is 55mph and this group of people decide to line up along the interstate and keep traffic back at the posted speed limit.

Conclusion? Atlanta has some bad tempered drivers!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's more amusing is how young people continue to break the law and videotape themselves doing it. :rofl: As interesting as their experiment was, I'm pretty sure it's illegal to disrupt the flow of traffic like that. Legions of truckers used to do it in Michigan when they raised Michigan's speed limit up to 65 for cars, but kept it 55 for semi's, so they would form lines of trucks to block cars from going more than 55. Many truckers got ticketed, and some jailed.

Since these young people are so hell bent on making the law so black and white, I hope none of them have ever smoked a cigarette, taken a swig of beer, spit on the sidewalk, or a host of other illegal activities.

Great video though Neo.

that was pretty amusing... but i think they're just a bunch of dumb college students who think they're all cool and hip and clever. i wonder if they realized that if someone found them there was a good chance they would've gotten a nice beatdown. they say they were just obeying the law, but the law says "drive right except to pass" in most states (i assume GA is the same). they weren't driving right, they were purposely and obviously trying to block traffic.

the one thing i do wonder is if they reported the white van for the hit and run.

i'll occasionally drive half in the shoulder when i'm stuck in traffic and people are trying to drive around in the shoulder... did this the other day and some guy in a volvo decided to jump the curb with the passenger side of his car and passed all the other cars that had my idea...

Speed limits are actually set with people breaking them in mind, speed limits are generally supposed to be set below the speed at which 80% of traffic flows at.

if that's the case, they should be calling them speed recommendations. the word limit makes it black and white.

I bet when they're not being punks and blocking traffic they like to go fast and would get pissed if someone was going 55 in the fast lane...

most likely... i hate punk college kids who think they're all clever by doing some stupid crap like that. the worst i did was buy a raft from the 24 hour walmart in windham and a long rope and paddle out to the island on mirror lake with my friends to hang a big sears banner from some trees (no, not a frat prank and we were completely sober). oh wait... no, i drywalled my RA's door, that was the worst... and best. :D

I almost always go 55 on highways to save gas, although I may kick it up to 60 or 65 once in a while if the flow of traffic is really fast or I'm on the freeway. I don't, however, attempt to block traffic, I pass quickly, and otherwise stay in the slow lane.

When other people are paying to fill my tank, then I'll drive 85 again.

if that's the case, they should be calling them speed recommendations. the word limit makes it black and white.

Remember, Speed Limit is an English term, therefore "Limit" does not neccassarily have to mean "Limit."

This was talked about in the Atlanta forum a while back ago. I was outraged by those college kids blocking the passing lane. I screwed myself over in the Atlanta Forum, pleading that they were doing this illegally on the Atlanta Perimter in thanks of my ignorance to Georgia law that it does not have a keep right except to pass law. Sadly, they were legally in the left lane as long as they did not exceed teh speed limit.

This was talked about in the Atlanta forum a while back ago. I was outraged by those college kids blocking the passing lane. I screwed myself over in the Atlanta Forum, pleading that they were doing this illegally on the Atlanta Perimter in thanks of my ignorance to Georgia law that it does not have a keep right except to pass law. Sadly, they were legally in the left lane as long as they did not exceed teh speed limit.

Wow. How friggin sad. Georgia really needs to get with the times. Fact is, people drive fast these days and we don't need knuckleheads blocking the passing lanes.

Atlanta has some of the fastest drivers of anywhere I've seen. I was on a stretch of I-85 south of downtown Atlanta last Sunday going 75mph, which was 10mph over the speed limit, and I was seriously the slowest one out there. And this was on a Sunday morning! I'll be the first to admit to speeding on interstates, but where do all of these people need to get to going that fast!? :huh:

Atlanta has some of the fastest drivers of anywhere I've seen. I was on a stretch of I-85 south of downtown Atlanta last Sunday going 75mph, which was 10mph over the speed limit, and I was seriously the slowest one out there. And this was on a Sunday morning! I'll be the first to admit to speeding on interstates, but where do all of these people need to get to going that fast!? :huh:

Wow :lol: and on Sunday morning... around here, Sunday mornings are smooth driving times. :D

You don't understand. Normally Atlantans are forced to drive in packs and a lot of times it isn't at normal speeds. So if an unusually open stretch of road is encountered, most will indulge a little. :silly:

Hood's response is somewhat correct, where he comes from (in Michigan) speed limits are more of a suggestion. You can easily get pulled over, but you have to be going well over ten miles an hour over. I'm sure everyone from MI has a story about "someone" who was pulled over for going 5 over. But the truth is almost all drivers in Michigan average about 10 miles an hour above the speed limit.

Hood's response is somewhat correct, where he comes from (in Michigan) speed limits are more of a suggestion. You can easily get pulled over, but you have to be going well over ten miles an hour over. I'm sure everyone from MI has a story about "someone" who was pulled over for going 5 over. But the truth is almost all drivers in Michigan average about 10 miles an hour above the speed limit.

this is the case in every state... but you can get pulled over for doing 2-3 mph over teh speed limit. i think the general rule for cops is 5-10 over depending on what the speed limit is. when they first raised it to 65 in CT, they unofficial limit was 70, but i think that's relaxed to 75. however, you will still get pulled over doing more than 70. the thing is, it's not always easy to keep it at exactly the same speed, so a 5 mph window isn't too bad.

but in most states the word "limit" is absolute... it's just a matter of what the cops are going to do about enforcement.

Yeah, in Michigan you can easily go 10 - 12 mph over and NOT get yanked. I know several State Police officers and they say it it NOT worth their time to pull someone over for going 9 or below over the limit, which is 70 mph outside of city limits. For one, the revenue is not enough to offset their time and the processing involved, and secondly, everyone is going that fast. :lol: They've tried unsuccesfully to pull masses of people over. Even when I see a trooper, I keep it at about 10 over (which would be 80mph), and don't slam on my brakes like the idiots do. "Yeah buddy, let's cause an accident, that's better than a speeding ticket!" :rolleyes:

and don't slam on my brakes like the idiots do. "Yeah buddy, let's cause an accident, that's better than a speeding ticket!" :rolleyes:

:lol:

I think it's hilarious when people do that.(not cause accidents of course) I don't know why so many people seem to the the cops radar only extends right out in front of his car. I can't drive once on I-10 in Louisiana without seeing someone going 85, then seeing a state trooper about 15 feet away behind the trees, and the person just slams on the brakes and takes it down to about 50. :rolleyes:

:lol:

I think it's hilarious when people do that.(not cause accidents of course) I don't know why so many people seem to the the cops radar only extends right out in front of his car. I can't drive once on I-10 in Louisiana without seeing someone going 85, then seeing a state trooper about 15 feet away behind the trees, and the person just slams on the brakes and takes it down to about 50. :rolleyes:

Hey, it worked for me the other day. But the thing is, it only works if the officer doesn't have his radar set to Instant On.

Archived