Mayors Convention coming to BR

byrde

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good news ! Good to see the momentum continuing. It was great the expanded River Center could host the National Bowling Tournament and Miss Teen last year. Downtown should continue to become more vibrant.

Good question. If the King Hotel were to be open by then that would mean an additional 385 rooms including the Hilton Capitol(House) Center.

That's great news for Baton Rouge! Have more conventions been coming to Baton Rouge over the past few years than in prior years?

Yes!

One of the biggest problems was lack of Hotel rooms near the Rivercenter. With the capitol house coming back, the sheraton is already there and the king hotel coming down the line, it will be easier for br to bid on the second tier conventions and bring them here instead of them going to places like Little Rock, B'Ham or Tulsa.

I was told today that AKA Sorority will bring their regional convention to BR in April 2008. A member told that Mayor Holden played an big role in getting them here.

Yes!

One of the biggest problems was lack of Hotel rooms near the Rivercenter. With the capitol house coming back, the sheraton is already there and the king hotel coming down the line, it will be easier for br to bid on the second tier conventions and bring them here instead of them going to places like Little Rock, B'Ham or Tulsa.

I was told today that AKA Sorority will bring their regional convention to BR in April 2008. A member told that Mayor Holden played an big role in getting them here.

Thats great to hear! Hopefully more conventions will add a lot business downtown and help spur even more activity and developments. :thumbsup:

B.R. will host black mayors' conference

http://www.businessreport.com/newsDetail.c...9021&cid=21

This will be good news for the hotels and restaurants downtown. :thumbsup:

I wonder if the King Hotel will be ready to take reservations by the time the convention rolls around next may.

I'm sure having a black mayor really helped to lock this conference in for the city. Great job. :) Looks like BR's convention market is picking up.

Byrde, thanks for the info. I couldn't register in time to vote for mayor in '04, but I'm really glad Kip Holden won. He has an agressive/make-things-happen attitude when it comes to downtown, and I like that.

I've heard that's his style, and that's a style I like in a mayor. I don't know much about the man, but downtown and many other parts of the city seem to be moving forward very well under his leadership.

• 11 months later...

I like having kip as mayor...i am only 20... but ive went from watching downtown look like a ghost town at night..to atleast something goin on in the back now to put a little traffic back there....I say 3 years ago there was no need for the traffic lights at night cuz no one was down there now everythings comming along good..and jus around BR period , I brought my girlfriend down(She's from new orleans) , she loves it out here because it's somethin new and we have loads of shopping centers, and she asks why is there dirt everywhere, so ill reply thatz construction for new stuff and inside my head ill be saying..thatz kip doin his job!!!!!!!!

Archived